none
Windows 7 x64 BSOD during install

Question

• I recently assembled a new computer, and I'm receiving a blue screen during the installation process.    After loading all of the drivers windows crashes on the screen where the windows logo is displayed, before and kind of screens or prompts are displayed.  I'm getting the following error message:  

STOP: 0x0000007E

ACPI.SYS

Here are my system specs:

Core i5-3570K

Antec 550W 80+

4x 4gb G.Skill Ripjaw DDR3 1600

ASRock Z77 Extreme4 LGA 1155

Radeon HD 7850 PCI-E 3.0

WD Caviar 1TB 7200rpm

I have tried quite a few things to narrow down the problems.  I don't believe my ram is the issue, I have run memtest86 on it and it tested all 16gigs with no errors.  Out of frustration I have also taken my hdd and the windows iso dvd to an existing computer, pulled the hdd from that, and installed windows on the new hdd thinking that I could put that drive in my new computer after the install.  However I'm getting the same problem when that hdd is put back in my new machine and I attempt to boot from it.  I think that this does exclude the hdd or the burned iso dvd as being the issue though.

I also put in a linux dvd, and booted from linux live thinking that I could get additional error messaging, but I was surprised to find that my computer booted into linux just fine.  I have tried stripping everything out of the mobo and running off what the bare minimum requirements were to boot.  I have also tried taking out all the components and putting them back in (including cpu), and I have verified that no cables are loose.  I have also tried re-ordering the sata cables between the dvd drive and the hdd.

So far nothing I have tried has worked.  The bios does not post any kind of errors.  I'm running out of ideas, I feel like I've gone through just about every potential problem that could be causing this.

Thanks in advance for looking into this with me!

Wednesday, May 02, 2012 1:55 PM

Answers

• Hi,

The SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED bug check has a value of 0x0000007E. This bug check indicates that a system thread generated an exception that the error handler did not catch.

For your reference,

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/ff559239(v=vs.85).aspx

First, I suggest to check the installation media to confirm there is no problem with it (You can test it on other computer or use another disk).

Then check the following:

If a driver is identified in the bug check message, disable the driver or check with the manufacturer for driver updates.

Try changing video adapters.

Check with your hardware vendor for any BIOS updates.

Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing.

Also, you can contact manufacturer to check the hardware issue.

Hope this helps.

Vincent Wang

TechNet Community Support

Friday, May 04, 2012 9:35 AM

All replies

• Checking this article:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/930979

Best regards,

Tim

www.directoryadmin.blogspot.com

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

Wednesday, May 02, 2012 2:19 PM
  • Check this post:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itproinstall/thread/61cab522-b3cd-4feb-af21-7a655c20c874/

A few posts down there are a few things to check. With it being a custom build, I'd say firstly to reseat all your hardware and connections again (take them out, put them back in again firmly). Im guessing you have enough disk space.

After that, try a different ISO if it still fails

If it still fails, it may be one of your components is faulty (motherboard/RAM/CPU)

Wednesday, May 02, 2012 3:14 PM
  • I tried to look for a bitlocker encryption flag in my bios and that setting wasn't available.  Thanks anyway, it was worth a shot.
    Wednesday, May 02, 2012 5:44 PM
  • Hi,

The SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED bug check has a value of 0x0000007E. This bug check indicates that a system thread generated an exception that the error handler did not catch.

For your reference,

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/ff559239(v=vs.85).aspx

First, I suggest to check the installation media to confirm there is no problem with it (You can test it on other computer or use another disk).

Then check the following:

If a driver is identified in the bug check message, disable the driver or check with the manufacturer for driver updates.

Try changing video adapters.

Check with your hardware vendor for any BIOS updates.

Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing.

Also, you can contact manufacturer to check the hardware issue.

Hope this helps.

Vincent Wang

TechNet Community Support

Friday, May 04, 2012 9:35 AM