none
Windows resets files/folders to Read-Only. I've tried everything in the forums! RRS feed

• Question

• I'm having the problem where Win 7 makes its networked files and folders Read Only even though I unchecked the Read Only box.

I've tried solutions from other threads (see below) but they're not working.

This is a network with just two computers, one 7 Pro and one XP Pro sp3. Both have one account each, the Administrator. The 7 computer *can* write files on the XP machine, but not vice versa.

ERROR MESSAGES:

I get these when attempting to save (XP machine trying to save networked file on 7 machine). Note that I'm not getting any error messages that mention accounts or administrator privileges.

Cannot create the \\Rthinkpad\test\anothertest.txt file.

Make sure that the path and filename are correct

OR:

'text.xls' is read-only. To save a copy, click OK, then give the workbook a new name in the Save As dialog box.

ATTEMPTS TO SOLVE PROBLEM:

These are the folder and networking settings I've applied:

- in Network and Sharing Center > Change Advanced Sharing Settings: Network Discovery, File and Printer Sharing, and Public Folder Sharing are all set to “on” and Password Protected Sharing is set to “off”.

- right-click the folder or file > Properties > Sharing Tab > Advanced Sharing > tick box for Share this folder > Apply > OK > Close.

- Right-click the shared folder > Properties > Security Tab > Edit > Add and type “Everyone” (not the quotes) into the box and select OK. Tick the boxes next to the permissions you want to allow (e.g. Read or Write, etc.) then Apply > OK

- (MS Article ID: 326549) To remove the Read-only attribute and to set the System attribute, use the following command:

attrib -r +s drive:\<path>\<foldername>

- Turn off the details tab in Explorer. this is under Windows 7 - click Organize where the menu bar is normally, then Layout, then make sure Details is unticked

Friday, October 28, 2011 6:34 PM

Answers

• Hi trottel1,

When did this issue happen?

Refer to this and re-share the file to check if it works. http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-7/share-files-and-printers-between-windows-7-and-xp/

(Note: Since the site is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.)

Regards,

Miya

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. | Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Tuesday, November 1, 2011 6:46 AM