none
ERROR!!! NEED HELP!!! Re-installing Vista Problem

Question

•  

for some reason my laptop has reset again today! (has reset 7 times and repaired 2 times) an now it has done something different. i cannot re-install the OS for some reason, i insert the recovery disc and select recover to entre Hdd, it begins to load the files then just as that screen apears it is flashes away and i8 am shown this screen (error takes up 70% of screen) :

Cannot set temp path to work in

ERROR

So what am i supposed to do? I desperatly need it For school and i dont care about the files as i do weekly backups (only of word and excel documents, Not system backups) but i need running urgently. i have 4 days to fix it before im back at school.

any ideas or you know what to do pls reply or email me. (Naughtyellis@hotmail.com) in emails i can send a videoclip of exactly what happens.

Any help is appreciated

Thx

Pyro55555.

Wednesday, April 23, 2008 10:23 AM

Answers

• Hi,

The issue can be probably related to hardware. I suggest checking disk first and contacting ASUS to check hardware devices.

Tim Quan - MSFT

Thursday, April 24, 2008 7:35 AM

All replies

•  

Hi,

First I would like to confirm the following points:

1.    Is it an OEM computer?

2.    How did you reinstall the computer? Formatting the drive and performing a Clean Install of Windows Vista or restoring it to the factory settings.

3.    Does any error message appear when reinstalling the system?

4.    Is the recovery disk you mentioned obtained from your computer manufacturer or is it a Complete PC Backup disk you made yourself?

As this issue is urgent for you, you can contact your local Microsoft Customer Service or your computer manufacturer for direct assistance.

http://www.microsoft.com/worldwide/phone/contact.aspx?country=Australia

I look forward to hearing from you.

Tim Quan - MSFT

Thursday, April 24, 2008 5:44 AM
  •  

Hi,

I noticed you had posted another post in the following thread:

http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=3095968&SiteID=17

If the current situation is the same as you described in Apr 1st, you can try my latest suggestion in the above thread.

If the current situation changes, please let me know the detailed symptom.

Tim Quan - MSFT

Thursday, April 24, 2008 6:18 AM
  • 1.   i am not sure about it being an OEM computer where do i find that out?

2.   Computer has just reset for unknoqwn reasons so i havent formatted however i just inserted recovery disc to fix

3.   Yes when it starts the percentage display it shows the screen above, if i dont have disc in it says "No OS Installed":

4.   The CD is an ASUS Recovery DVD.

Thursday, April 24, 2008 6:28 AM
  •  

no i fixed that problem but it has reset again and this is the lstest problem. i posted a reply there because over 400 peeps have already looked at it and i need it working again quickly for exams at school.
    Thursday, April 24, 2008 6:52 AM
  • Hi,

Thank you for the quick response.

From your description, I understand that you are using an ASUS computer.

Could you please let me know what the meaning of “reset” you mentioned is. Would you like to say the computer restores to its factory settings automatically or the computer cannot start again?

I look forward to hearing from you.

Tim Quan - MSFT

Thursday, April 24, 2008 7:13 AM
  • by reset i mean nothing is on the Hdd or is not responding to anything so i have to use recovery disk.

Thursday, April 24, 2008 7:31 AM
  • Hi,

The issue can be probably related to hardware. I suggest checking disk first and contacting ASUS to check hardware devices.

Tim Quan - MSFT

Thursday, April 24, 2008 7:35 AM