Display cropped on 1080p TV using HDMI cable? RRS feed

• Question

• When connecting my Dell laptop to a 39 inch LED TV, the desktop seems to be cropped by about 40 pixels on all four sides of the screen.  This is using Windows 8.1.  It happens on both Magnavox & Toshiba 39 inch LED TVs.  The TVs seem to have less than 1080p resolution when connected to the PC via the HDMI cable, but I feel certain this is not  the case.  I tried making the TV a Duplicate monitor & making it an extension monitor.  No change.  It seems that I must change the resolution that the Dell laptop is sending to the TV.  I'm not very familiar with Win 8 so I can't find the display configure page.  Not even sure what/who's chip set is installed here.

Monday, December 30, 2013 9:35 PM

Answers

• Thank you Yolanda,

I did find the Display controls. They are slider bars for X & Y display aspect.  independent resolution control. 

Van

vanness

• Marked as answer by Yolanda Zhu Tuesday, January 7, 2014 1:23 AM
    Monday, January 6, 2014 8:31 PM

All replies

• Hi,

I'm not very familiar with Win 8 so I can't find the display configure page.  Not even sure what/who's chip set is installed here.

You can right click “Computer”>Manage>Device Manager to view the display adapter and monitors driver installed in your PC.

To adjust the resolution, right click desktop>Screen Resolution or Control Panel (small icons)> Personalization>Display

Regards

Yolanda
    TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by Yolanda Zhu Monday, January 6, 2014 10:52 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by Yolanda Zhu Tuesday, January 7, 2014 1:22 AM
    Wednesday, January 1, 2014 10:10 AM
  • Thank you Yolanda,

I did find the Display controls. They are slider bars for X & Y display aspect.  independent resolution control. 

Van

vanness

• Marked as answer by Yolanda Zhu Tuesday, January 7, 2014 1:23 AM
    Monday, January 6, 2014 8:31 PM