none
How to create quicklaunch shortcuts?

Question

• Hello,

I'm used to create quicklaunch shortcuts using .vbs scripts like this (most of you will know this):

set WshShell = WScript.CreateObject("WScript.Shell")
    set oShellLink = WshShell.CreateShortcut(WshShell.SpecialFolders.Item("APPDATA") ^& "\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch\Explorer.lnk")
    oShellLink.TargetPath = "%SYSTEMROOT%\explorer.exe"
    oShellLink.Arguments = "/n,/e,%SYSTEMDRIVE%\"
    oShellLink.WindowStyle = 1
    oShellLink.Description = "Windows Explorer"
    oShellLink.Save

This works fine with XP and Vista. I've noticed that the path has changed in Win7, the Taskbar apps are stored in "Quick Launch\User Pinned\TaskBar".

I've changed the path and the new shortcuts are created and stored in the correct path, but they don't appear in the taskbar. Does anyone know how to create/modify quicklaunch shortcuts in Win7?

Alex
    Tuesday, January 20, 2009 8:11 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Thanks for the posts.

Based on my research, I would like to suggest the following:

To show the QuickLaunch Bar, please perfrom the following steps:

1.    Right-click on the Taskbar- Toolbars-New Toolbar.

2.    In the opened window, input the following as the destination:

"%userprofile%\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch”

4.    If it shows the Text and Title, please right-click on the QuickLaunch Bar and uncheck the “Show Text” and “Show Title”.

To create a shortcut, you can just drag the icon to the QuickLaunch Bar.

Alex, please check the path again. The path which stores the icons is “%userprofile%\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch”.

Hope this helps.

Thanks.

Nicholas Li - MSFT
    Friday, January 23, 2009 7:00 AM

All replies

• Hmm you mean to pin them in taskbar as quicklaunch you would just click the second button (right click) and pin to taskbar
    Tuesday, January 20, 2009 8:13 PM
  • Of course this will work - but I'd like to have an automatic solution so I could create the shortcuts from a batch.

The code above is only one from several vbs-scripts that I'm using to provide quicklaunch shortcuts.

Tuesday, January 20, 2009 8:24 PM
  • If you're using a script, you can use the "InvokeVerb" method to pin shortcuts to the Taskbar.

Ramesh Srinivasan, Microsoft MVP
    Wednesday, January 21, 2009 1:58 PM
    Answerer
  • Hi,

Thanks for the posts.

Based on my research, I would like to suggest the following:

To show the QuickLaunch Bar, please perfrom the following steps:

1.    Right-click on the Taskbar- Toolbars-New Toolbar.

2.    In the opened window, input the following as the destination:

"%userprofile%\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch”

4.    If it shows the Text and Title, please right-click on the QuickLaunch Bar and uncheck the “Show Text” and “Show Title”.

To create a shortcut, you can just drag the icon to the QuickLaunch Bar.

Alex, please check the path again. The path which stores the icons is “%userprofile%\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch”.

Hope this helps.

Thanks.

Nicholas Li - MSFT
    Friday, January 23, 2009 7:00 AM
  • Nicholas,

Thanks for the tip - I now have a QuickLaunch Bar again.

I got an error using %userprofile%, even though it's correct in the environment variables.

Select Folder results in "The Folder Name is not valid".

I had to temporarily change my Folder Option to Show Hidden Files/Folders then manually browse to that folder to get it to work.  I've re-hidden files/folders, and the Bar still works as it should.

Jim

Saturday, January 24, 2009 4:09 PM
  • If you're using a script, you can use the "InvokeVerb" method to pin shortcuts to the Taskbar.

Ramesh Srinivasan, Microsoft MVP

Excuse me, may I have a question.
    I use the "InvokeVerb" for the “%userprofile%\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch
    Actually, it only open the folder, I think we may need another method to pin some shortcut to taskbar since it's not workable to copy lnk files into the folder.

Do you know which method I should use to pin???

Thanks for your help~
    Sunday, April 19, 2009 1:19 AM
  • Pls post the full code you're using, Tony. There is an "Add to Quick Launch" menu that we want to "invoke".
    Ramesh Srinivasan, Microsoft MVP [Windows Desktop Experience]
    Sunday, April 19, 2009 3:53 AM
    Answerer
  • This works, but Nicholas should have mentioned not to copy/paste the quotation marks. They are not needed. Thats where the "bad folder name" "folder doesn't exist" error comes from.
    Thanks Nicholas.
    Good stuff
    Tuesday, June 30, 2009 4:36 AM
  • According to the Engineering Windows 7 Blog, they have explicity built it so that it is impossible to programatically (automatically) pin program shortcuts to the taskbar.  They want to prevent programs you install from pinning themselves on the taskbar.  They don't want Windows 7 to end up looking like Windows 98 did with the AOL bundle:  a shortcut on the quicklaunch, system tray, start menu, programs menu, and two on the desktop.

The only think you could do to automate it is to automate the actual action of dragging an icon and dropping it onto the taskbar.  I suppose you could put all the things you want in a folder, then have a WSH script enumerate through them and bring up the context menu of each one and choose 'pin to taskbar'. 
    Tuesday, June 30, 2009 4:52 AM