none
How to pin a folder to the pinned File Explorer pinned list?

Question

• My File Explorer is already pinned to the Taskbar.  When I right click a File Explorer button on the Taskbar, I get the following:

Right click File Explorer

There is a Pinned list and a Frequent list.  Folders in the Frequent list can be easily pinned to the Pinned list.

I have been waiting for a month for a folder that I want (D:\Documents\Visual Studio 2012\Projects) to appear in the Frequent list but my wait has so far been futile.

How do I put a specific folder I want (that is not in the Frequent list) onto the Pinned list?  Is the configuration stored somewhere in $env:AppData?

Thanks.

Friday, October 5, 2012 11:41 AM

Answers

• Drag and drop the folder to your taskbar and it will show as being pinned under File Explorer.

Don't forget to mark your posts as answered so they drop off the unanswered post filter. If I've helped you and you want to show your gratitude, just click that green thingy.

• Marked as answer by K.Kong Friday, October 5, 2012 12:07 PM
    Friday, October 5, 2012 11:48 AM

All replies

• Drag and drop the folder to your taskbar and it will show as being pinned under File Explorer.

Don't forget to mark your posts as answered so they drop off the unanswered post filter. If I've helped you and you want to show your gratitude, just click that green thingy.

• Marked as answer by K.Kong Friday, October 5, 2012 12:07 PM
    Friday, October 5, 2012 11:48 AM
  • Thanks a lot for helping me.
    Friday, May 23, 2014 9:24 PM
  • Awesome, thank you for posting how do do this. I had the same problem. =o)
    Wednesday, November 5, 2014 5:33 PM
  • I can't believe it was that simple! This has been bugging me for months!!! Thank you
    Thursday, February 26, 2015 6:26 PM
  • Yeah, me too. This has been driving me crazy. Thanks for the answer. 
    Saturday, October 10, 2015 8:21 PM
  • Thanks a loy
    Friday, May 13, 2016 3:16 AM
  • Thanks a lot from Italy too!
    Just a sub-question: is this solution documented somewhere in Windows 7 (or 8) documentation?
    How to easily find the answer straigth from Microsoft Knowledge Base?

Tuesday, June 14, 2016 7:56 AM
  • Great!! Thanks a Lot man.
    Wednesday, October 26, 2016 12:19 PM
  • Hi, This is Nagabalaji from India.

initially i had pinned a document for my use. but recent days, i cant able to see my recent files in the Folder(image was not attached to give a better view in this mail)

please help me to overcome this.

Wednesday, February 22, 2017 4:32 AM
  • Do the followings to pin multiple folders:

• Right click on a folder you want to pin and send a shortcut to desktop
    • Go to desktop, right click on the shortcut and click Properties to bring up Properties dialog
    • Prefix what is already in Target box with: C:\Windows\explorer.exe
    • Add a space to the end of the prefix i.e. after .exe
    • Close Properties dialog and pin the shortcut in the usual way
    • Repeat all the above to pin more folders
    Sunday, May 7, 2017 7:53 PM
  • Does not work as of 14 July 2017.
    Friday, July 14, 2017 12:50 PM
  • This 5 year old post just made my day.  :)

Thanks.

Wednesday, November 29, 2017 12:58 AM
  • I"m with Pirko11, does NOT seem to work anymore.  Anyone have any advice?
    Friday, January 5, 2018 9:35 PM
  • Drag the folder from the Address Bar, not the Title Bar!!!, to the folder icon open on task bar at the bottom. Knuckle-Dragger's instructions suck, trying to drive us crazy!
    Friday, January 19, 2018 6:46 PM

Never thought that it was so simple. I even have been waiting a folder to appear more then 3 months. Thank you.
    Friday, July 13, 2018 8:53 AM