none
Does Initializing hard disk remove files?

Question

• Hi,

I have an Vista Laptop and wanted to copy the data to my win 7 pc.

When i attached the HD from the laptop (through an external USB device) to my win 7 pc it tells me to Initialize the HD.

Does this mean i will lose all my data from de External HD?

D2

Tuesday, June 15, 2010 1:11 PM

Answers

• Windows offers the "initialize" function only if no (valid) patittion table was found. the Initialize command creates a new partition table  with new partitions. So all data will be lost when you do this.

if you are eratin there is data on the disk, the issue might be caused by several reasons omang which a faulty harddrive, migration between different storage controlelrs (to or from RAID) or non standard partition configurations.

I think the best recommendation is to move the disk back to its originating system and validate the data over there. Backup your data (!) and initialize the disk in the new host system. If no data is bisible on teh originating system, you should considerd data recovery.

MCSA/MCTS/MCP
    • Marked as answer by Linda Yan Wednesday, June 16, 2010 5:44 AM
    Tuesday, June 15, 2010 1:33 PM
  • D2 if your data is important to you you need to take the drive to a data recovery pro,

you can not install the wwin 7 if the drive is not setup right.

you could download a linux  live cd (knoppix) and boot the laptop to the cd and if the laptop controller and drive are good you should be to get to the data. 

• Marked as answer by Dolfie_twee Thursday, August 04, 2011 7:34 AM
    Tuesday, June 15, 2010 3:24 PM

All replies

• Windows offers the "initialize" function only if no (valid) patittion table was found. the Initialize command creates a new partition table  with new partitions. So all data will be lost when you do this.

if you are eratin there is data on the disk, the issue might be caused by several reasons omang which a faulty harddrive, migration between different storage controlelrs (to or from RAID) or non standard partition configurations.

I think the best recommendation is to move the disk back to its originating system and validate the data over there. Backup your data (!) and initialize the disk in the new host system. If no data is bisible on teh originating system, you should considerd data recovery.

MCSA/MCTS/MCP
    • Marked as answer by Linda Yan Wednesday, June 16, 2010 5:44 AM
    Tuesday, June 15, 2010 1:33 PM
  • thanks for the reply.

I cannot logon to the Vista laptop, because of virusses and spyware (even Safe mode won't let me in)

So the only way i know of recovering is attaching the hd to another pc and then back it up (after scanning it ofcourse)

Perhaps is it possible to install Win7 next to the faulty vista and not formatting the hd, so i can acces it through Win7..

Do you know another workaround?

D2

Tuesday, June 15, 2010 2:27 PM
  • D2 if your data is important to you you need to take the drive to a data recovery pro,

you can not install the wwin 7 if the drive is not setup right.

you could download a linux  live cd (knoppix) and boot the laptop to the cd and if the laptop controller and drive are good you should be to get to the data. 

• Marked as answer by Dolfie_twee Thursday, August 04, 2011 7:34 AM
    Tuesday, June 15, 2010 3:24 PM