none
microsot virtual wifi miniport adapter

Question

• hi
    iam havng hp laptop dv62005-ax ,windows 7 ,32bit,m havng the problem of microsoft wifi mini port adapter,i want to knw that ll it make any problem to system or the wifi network connection if i disabe it and where mainly it is used.....?
    Wednesday, December 09, 2009 6:48 PM

Answers

All replies

• The WiFi miniport is used to connect to the internet using wireless in place where there is a wireless Access Point.

It will not cause any harm to disable it, especially when you are not using, and it will reduce the power on the battery.  However, you can download drivers for the WiFi directly from the HP Support website.  You will just need to know which card is in your laptop as there are two Wireless LAN drivers listed.
    http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareList?os=4062&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&lang=en&product=4039727
    Wednesday, December 09, 2009 7:59 PM
  • Virtual WiFi is a software layer that abstracts the wireless LAN card hardware into multiple virtual adapters. The software handles the connections of each adapter to ensure every adapter has an opportunity to connect to their respective networks limited by time. The result is an operating system none-the-wiser and acts as if you have multiple WLAN hardware adapters working independently. The hardware vendors are required to recompile their drivers with a couple new additions.

For more information about Microsoft virtual WIFI miniport adapter, please refer to

http://www.istartedsomething.com/20090516/windows-7-native-virtual-wifi-technology-microsoft-research/

As Rick said, if you do not need this feature, you can disable this device.

Hope it helps.

Vivian Xing - MSFT
    Friday, December 11, 2009 6:54 AM
  • thanks man.........
    Friday, December 11, 2009 12:23 PM
  • thanks man.......
    Friday, December 11, 2009 12:23 PM
  • ok how do i tell this virtual whatever to not install itself automatically and not turn on automatically better yet what tells it to do this?? ok ok ok yes i did have virtual machine installed, but in uninstalled that forever ago. but still when my adapter is initialized (connects to a network or is enabled) the virtual disastar automatically feels like installing itself and automatically starts running. i don't like this as it seems like a huge future exploit.

so could you who already knows about this tell me how to destroy this.

Tuesday, November 02, 2010 11:43 PM