none
"Reverting Changes" after large batch of Windows Updates

Question

• I am in the process of setting up a batch of new laptops. They are Lenovo ThinkPad Edge E530 models with Win 7 Pro 64. Once I get the machines joined to the domain and install all the necessary software for daily production (nothing fancy...Office 2010, Chrome, Cisco VPN, and TightVNC) I allow the machine to install Windows updates. If I simply try to allow all of the updates to install, I get the "Reverting Changes" message upon reboot. However, if I manually check the boxes to install 5 or 10 at a time, all of the updates seem to install correctly. I've read through some similar threads here but have a couple of issues:

1) Most of the threads I've read both here and other sites deal with Vista and/or are at least 3 years old. My machines are right out of the box and have never had Vista installed.

2) Most of the threads suggest doing a system repair or restore using the original Windows 7 CD. Unfortunately, Lenovo is stupid and does not provide a standard OS disc, so I don't have a "stock" Win7 disc to use.

On the same note, I have used the factory restore discs created by Lenovo to restore the systems to the factory defaults and run in to the same problem.

And finally, I just have neither the time nor the inclination to set up every machine twice (the initial setup followed by a restore) or sit beside a machine and babysit Windows Updates by selecting a fraction of the available updates to install in one sitting.

Surely someone has discovered a solution to this issue....I can't be the only one who has experienced it.

Thanks in advance for any help...and I apologize if my tone is a little coarse. I've been fighting this issue every day for a week and am just burnt out.

Friday, January 11, 2013 3:24 PM

Answers

• This problem drove me nuts.  The Windows Update database is not corrupt in this case and renaming the SoftwareDistribution folder and starting a new one won't amount to a hill of beans with this problem.   Reading through this thread, I am amazed at the agony this issue is causing. 

The whole thing is a messed up patch from August 2012 that doesn't behave properly.  It was wrong when it came out and Microsoft apparently never did fix it correctly.  Quality control at the world's biggest software company. 

Here is the workaround.

Of that large batch of patches, first pick out KB2647753.  Put that patch in first.  Restart the computer, let it run through its update process, then do the rest.  Your Windows Updates should work fine after that.  That's it.  That's the whole cure. 

Our friends at Lenovo are officially less than helpful on this problem, but a nice lady on the support line unofficially pointed me to this workaround last month.  But she would or could not tell me why. The official Lenovo answer is, "that question is beyond the scope of our support and you need to call Microsoft", which of course goes nowhere fast. 

Do a google search for "KB2647753" and you'll see lots of history about this patch.  It has apparently caused lots of grief for lots of admins over the past several months and for the life of me, I don't understand why Microsoft won't fix it. 

Well, at least if anyone else goes looking for the Lenovo Windows Updates that revert, maybe they'll come across this workaround and save some grief.

Check out these links:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-windows_update/why-wont-kb-2647753-install/aa599ea3-0bd9-4118-8e26-20d6ac4596ee

and

http://www.broadbandreports.com/forum/r27424108-Solved-KB2647753-Problems-installing-it

and

http://www.sevenforums.com/windows-updates-activation/246552-kb2647753.html

- Greg Scott

Greg Scott

• Proposed as answer by Greg Scott Saturday, January 19, 2013 10:26 PM
    • Marked as answer by justchico Wednesday, January 23, 2013 5:56 PM
    Saturday, January 19, 2013 10:26 PM

All replies

• I've had a similar problem, seemingly random, on Lenovo machines. Due to time constraints I usually just have to babysit and manually install batches of updates. 2 units bought at the same time, one exhibited the problem, the other didn't.

Haven't found a resolution yet, but I have a suspicion that it might be Windows updates rather than Lenovo, as I vaguely remember having issues, or various OS, with updates exhibiting this issue recently.

If I find a fix, I'll try to remember to reply here.

Monday, January 14, 2013 3:48 PM
  • Hi,

Based on my research, please try the following:

Rename the Windows Update Softwaredistribution folder

==========================================

This problem may occur if the Windows Update, Software distribution folder has been corrupted. We can refer to the following steps to rename this folder. Please note that the folder will be re-created the next time we visit the Windows Update site.

1. Close all the open windows.

2. Click the Start Pearl, click "All programs", and click "Accessories".

3. Right-click "Command Prompt" and click "Run as administrator".

4. In "Administrator: Command Prompt" window, type in "net stop WuAuServ" (without the quotes) and press Enter.

Note: Please look at the cmd window and make sure it says that it was successfully stopped before we try to rename the folder. However, if it failed, please let me know before performing any further steps and include any error messages you may have received when it failed.

5. Click the Start Pearl, in the "Start Search" box, type in "%windir%" (without the quotes) and press Enter.

6. In the opened folder, look for the folder named "SoftwareDistribution".

7. Right-click on the folder, select Rename and type "SDold" (without the quotes) to rename this folder.

8. Still in "Administrator: Command Prompt" window, type the command "net start WuAuServ" (without the quotes) in the opened window to restart the Windows Updates service.

Note: Please look at the cmd window and make sure it says that it was successfully started. However, if it failed, please let me know before performing any further steps and include any error messages you may have received when it failed.

Also, boot into Clean Boot Mode and run Windows Update again.

If the issue persists, run System Update Readiness Tool to check the result.

Hope this helps.

Vincent Wang
    TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, January 15, 2013 3:55 AM
  • Renaming SoftwareDis folder didn't work, but the clean boot mode seemed to work on one particular Lenovo unit, presumably a particular startup item or Service is causing the problem, although testing to try and work out the cause will be problematic, and time consuming, as I'd need to uninstall the updates, or have multiple units with the same problem, and just try to install the updates with several different startup items or services disabled.

Tuesday, January 15, 2013 10:08 AM
  • Vincent,

Thanks for your reply. Upon reading it, I had a feeling that the clean boot would be a pretty good solution. Now, I'm wondering if there is an easy way to remove anything and everything non-OS-related....or, in other words, remove every piece of software that's not part of Windows.

Tuesday, January 15, 2013 1:16 PM
  • As an answer to removing the other pieces of software, you could probably run an install of Windows using OEM media, if available, and download the device drivers. Otherwise, you'll need to go through and remove them through add remove/programs and features.

As a possible resolution to the problem, I think I have discovered the cause. I had chance to experiment with disabling startup items and services and determined it was one or several of 6 different services. List:

Lenovo Camera Mute, Lenovo Keyboard Noise Reduction, Nalperion License Service (NLS), NitroPDFDriverCreatorReadSpool2, and 2 Nvidia services.

I had already disabled all lenovo services, which didn't resolve the problem, and assumed the Nvidia services were unlikely to be the cause, so I searched for Nalperion License service and found a link, but I can't post it, so Google for "failure configuring windows updates lenovo nitro" and you should get "Failure configuring Windows Updates - Windows 8 - Lenovo Community" as first result.

Granted it's for Windows 8, but I think it's pretty definite that it happens on 7 also. I Googled for "nalpeiron licensing service nitro pdf" and a few pages confirms that NLS is part of Nitro PDF. So can safely remove or try and find the above update for your version of Windows.

Hope that helps.

• Proposed as answer by Workshop Wednesday, January 16, 2013 10:48 AM
    Wednesday, January 16, 2013 10:48 AM
  • This problem drove me nuts.  The Windows Update database is not corrupt in this case and renaming the SoftwareDistribution folder and starting a new one won't amount to a hill of beans with this problem.   Reading through this thread, I am amazed at the agony this issue is causing. 

The whole thing is a messed up patch from August 2012 that doesn't behave properly.  It was wrong when it came out and Microsoft apparently never did fix it correctly.  Quality control at the world's biggest software company. 

Here is the workaround.

Of that large batch of patches, first pick out KB2647753.  Put that patch in first.  Restart the computer, let it run through its update process, then do the rest.  Your Windows Updates should work fine after that.  That's it.  That's the whole cure. 

Our friends at Lenovo are officially less than helpful on this problem, but a nice lady on the support line unofficially pointed me to this workaround last month.  But she would or could not tell me why. The official Lenovo answer is, "that question is beyond the scope of our support and you need to call Microsoft", which of course goes nowhere fast. 

Do a google search for "KB2647753" and you'll see lots of history about this patch.  It has apparently caused lots of grief for lots of admins over the past several months and for the life of me, I don't understand why Microsoft won't fix it. 

Well, at least if anyone else goes looking for the Lenovo Windows Updates that revert, maybe they'll come across this workaround and save some grief.

Check out these links:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-windows_update/why-wont-kb-2647753-install/aa599ea3-0bd9-4118-8e26-20d6ac4596ee

and

http://www.broadbandreports.com/forum/r27424108-Solved-KB2647753-Problems-installing-it

and

http://www.sevenforums.com/windows-updates-activation/246552-kb2647753.html

- Greg Scott

Greg Scott

• Proposed as answer by Greg Scott Saturday, January 19, 2013 10:26 PM
    • Marked as answer by justchico Wednesday, January 23, 2013 5:56 PM
    Saturday, January 19, 2013 10:26 PM
  • Thanks Greg. It's always nice when you get a support agent willing to go off the reservation for a minute just to give you a helpful answer LOL
    Wednesday, January 23, 2013 5:58 PM
  • Just out of curiosity, did you try my suggested solution? Removing Nitro PDF and the associated License service? If it is applicable.

I did find that Lenovo were offering an update for the Nitro software, which claimed to resolve the problem, but I settled on removing it and the service.

Thursday, January 24, 2013 9:14 AM
  • We have the same problem on the Lenovo PC's we supply.

All we did was install them individually 5 at a time.

James.

• Edited by James Dyke Wednesday, May 15, 2013 10:22 AM
    Wednesday, May 15, 2013 10:21 AM
  • James,

I've found that Greg Scott's solution above (I marked it as the answer) of installing KB2647753 resolves my issue. The only hiccup I've seen is that after I install the update and reboot, the machine hangs on the screen that says "Configuring Windows Step 3 of 3. Do not turn off your computer." All I do is wait until the status hits 100% and it stops on "3 of 3" then I do exactly what the screen is telling me not to...I hold the power button until the unit powers off. Upon boot, everything runs fine and I'm able to finish installing the remaining updates.

Thursday, May 16, 2013 12:22 PM
  • Greg, thank you so much!
    Friday, May 17, 2013 12:26 AM
  • Greg, I am having the same problem but that specific update, KB2647753, is not one of the available updates.  I have about 60 updates on Windows 7 Professional.  I am using a Lenovo E530 and every time I try to install updates, it installs most of them and then fails.  Every time I try to shut down, it tries to either configure updates or install updates, and either way it fails.  Then when I start the computer up again, it says please wait while windows updates your machine, which inevitably fails, and the it says "reverting changes."  Do you know anything else that might be the cause of this problem?  Thanks.  
    Friday, June 21, 2013 6:01 PM
  • I can confirm on my recent batch of Lenovos that I had the same issue of updates not applying.  Updating the Nitro license service allowed the updates to apply correctly.
    Monday, June 24, 2013 10:56 PM
  • Antifolkhero, I am truly sorry, I don't have a clue. I went through my issues back in January and haven't looked at it since then.  Is your Lenovo fresh from the factory and you're putting in the initial updates before delivering it to your end user?  If so, I wonder if it would be possible to make a ton of noise with the Lenovo support folks and demand an answer.  Somebody inside Lenovo knows what's going on with this and perhaps a reader of this thread might have several thousand systems to use as leverage with Lenovo to pry loose an answer. 

I've always wondered, how come we only see this problem with Lenovo systems?  What are the other guys doing different?  And I'm also amazed that multi billion dollar international corporations with thousands of developers have such trouble with their software images and bug fixes. 

But maybe this isn't the place to rant.  :)

Here's a "binary search" kind of action plan that might be useful.  Maybe try putting in, say, only 30 of those 60 updates.  If successful, then you know the problem is with the other 30.  If not, then the problem is in this batch of 30.  Either way, now pick the bottom or top 15 of that group.  Keep cutting it in half until you find the bad one - assuming it's just one, and then apply it first before doing the rest of them.  This is probably 5 tedious iterations, but it beats an endless patch and revert loop.  Without input from the folks who package the patches, I don't know of any other way to find it. 

Maybe Microsoft issued an update to KB2647753 with a different number and it's still broken?  But only broken with Lenovo?

- Greg Scott

Greg Scott

Tuesday, June 25, 2013 12:23 AM
  • Thanks for getting back to me, Greg.  I am actually the end user, I just am decent at googling my problems.  This computer was provided to me by a computer service that my firm uses.  It has lots of bloatware on it, but it still runs decently well.  The real issue is that windows update has failed about 25 times now, and it keeps trying to install updates and then randomly shuts down my computer in the middle of work.  The updates fail every time.  

I've attempted to only install some of the updates, but so far nothing has worked, and every attempt at installing a few and restarting kills 20-25 minutes of my day, so it's barely worth it.  However, this seems to be a problem specific to Lenovo as there are tons of posts about this specific machine and this specific problem on the internet.  

I tried the work around where you rename your SoftwareUpdate folder, but that didn't seem to do anything.  So far I'm just SOL and it's driving me out of my mind.  If you have any other ideas of what I can try, please let me know.  This problem is extremely annoying and gets more annoying every day.  

Tuesday, June 25, 2013 3:57 PM
  • Another ugly option might be to just wipe and rebuild it from scratch.  If you go that route, make sure you look at your device manager and get the exact make and model for all your devices and make sure you have copies of all the drivers - chip sets, video, audio, NIC, etc.  And you might have to work with your IT department to join it back into your Windows domain if you have one.  The good part of this option is, this will get rid of that bloatware.  The bad part is, it also gets rid of all apps you care about and all your data, so make sure you have copies of everything first. 

A more tedious but less radical option to help characterize the problem might be to try installing one patch at a time. 

Actually, that might be worth a 25 minute cycle as a troubleshooting step - pick one patch at random and see what happens when installing only one update.  Maybe your Lenovo has a unique problem not shared with the others in this thread.  Also, look at that bloatware and get rid of anything and everything you don't need. (Control Panel...Programs and Features.)  Some of that bloatware might be messing with your updates. 

Of course, the standard troubleshooting question - when was the last time updates worked and what changed since then?

One more idea to try - this is a longshot - set up a different user, logon as that user and try an update.  This will tell you if the problem is in your profile. Along those same lines, do a virus scan with a couple of tools. MalwareBytes and AVG Free are a couple of popular free ones.

Finally, I'll put in my plug - here is a link to my company website:  http://www.infrasupport.com.  You can contact me privately there if you want. 

Greg Scott

• Proposed as answer by AlanCulshaw Thursday, December 5, 2013 11:46 PM
    Tuesday, June 25, 2013 4:34 PM
  • I don't claim to be an expert on this Update stuff, but I just spent almost two weeks (including an utterly worthless support call) trying to figure out how to make that "revert" message go away, let me add that when I saw it show on boot I would really cringe because the system after that point was buggy, slow and all but completely unusable (made it virtually impossible to be put into remote control for SW service). One clue that I DID have was this all occurred after the system tried to "push" a specific update on my system, I'll acknowledge it "happened" it was for IE10, I don't know whether or not IT was the specific cause of ANYTHING but it's over 42 megabytes for one update which we'd all have to admit is at least unusually LARGE. As I said I have no idea whether it or 2647753 plays any part in this but I was basically desperate to  restore my system to SOME degree of usability, so finally the tech showed me if you have an update that's bad, especially one that seems to be "stuck" and won't complete and you believe it is causing the "revert" message, you just go to your update list, uncheck that entry, right-click and click on "hide update" to "gray out" the offending update entry, then shutdown and reboot. That entry will no longer attempt to apply itself and the "revert" message should be gone from bootup. So I suppose if you're NOT lucky you could just go try doing this to various updates and see what fixes things, of course this COULD eliminate patches that have been keeping you safe so be careful! This removes the patch from the automatic system but you've still got the option to try the patch manually from the knowledge base in case you think it downloaded improperly. Hey what I'm saying might all be "common knowledge" but it wasn't for me, I hope to do no harm here but if this helps someone else get the wheels turning again it was worth typing it in, good luck!
    • Proposed as answer by AlanCulshaw Thursday, December 5, 2013 11:46 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by AlanCulshaw Thursday, December 5, 2013 11:46 PM
    Tuesday, July 9, 2013 2:03 AM
  • Thanks Greg. You saved me the rest of my hair.
    Thursday, July 18, 2013 8:03 PM
  • One methord I have used  successfully (and this  works best  if you have another system with almost  idendical hardware and software installed) is to take a drive snapshot of a working system, back up the non working system (using something like drive snapshot after booting the system with UBCD 4 win or Hirens), restore the snapshot of the working system over the non working system then start it up off the network. Then change its name (the name of the origional working system will be on it at the moment and cant have two systems with the same name). Demote the system to a workgroup the rejoin the domain with the new name. Create what ever users were on the old system and using the drive snapshot of the non working system copy any relevant data files and profile information on to it.

Then you must take what ever steps are required to do updates asdiscussed here.

Thursday, December 5, 2013 11:57 PM
  • Thanks Greg. You saved me the rest of my hair.

I should post a picture.  Let's just say bald is beautiful.  :)

- Greg

Greg Scott

Friday, December 6, 2013 1:44 AM
  • I had the very same problem.  I checked very carefully but did not have KB3004394.  I have removed Nitro and thought that might solve my problem but now I see it is reverting again. I have already reinstalled Windows once hoping to avoid this update problem but reinstalling didn't seem to help.

• Edited by Garthmicro Friday, March 25, 2016 9:02 PM
    Friday, March 25, 2016 8:58 PM
  • How does KB3004394 fit into this?  The patch I ran into from Lenovo back in 2013 was KB2647753.

- Greg

Greg Scott

Saturday, March 26, 2016 3:21 PM
  • Removing Nitro PDF solved the issue for me.

Thanks

Bill

Thursday, March 22, 2018 2:34 PM