none
Vista and iTunes & ipod

Question

• Hi:

I think Microsoft should be telling people who get new computers with Vista on it or upgrade from Xp to Vista, that their ipod's won't be able to synch with iTunes or be able to get new music into it.  I can't believe that Microsoft hasn't first worked with  Apple to straighten this out, since there are tons of ipods out there.  This sucks........when will the fix be out there for all of us loyal ipod customers?  We've paid lots of money for our ipod [I have a video] as well as new computers and should be able to use them!  This is unbelieveable for Microsoft to not have solved this before introducing Vista!!!!!

Friday, March 30, 2007 1:02 AM

All replies

• Its working for me.  I have used it to rip CD's and sync my iPod without a problem. 

I am running with a clean install of Vista Home Premium and a new download from the Apple web site.  This gave me an empty library, so I had to load the folder tree for my music into iTunes.  When I plugged in my iPod, it did a complete download of my library.

If you are running with an upgrade install, you probably have an older version of iTunes. 

Mike

Friday, March 30, 2007 1:37 PM
  • I have been unable synch my iPod since I went to Vista. I finally gave up today and wanted my money back for Vista and was going to swith back to Xp but Microsoft said it's been over 45 days so I can't get my money back.

Frustrated in Battle Creek

Tuesday, April 03, 2007 8:34 PM
  • I totally agree with you. It's a shame that we have this issue with vista and itunes. I sending my computer back and will look for a used system that has xp so I can continue to enjoy my ipod.
    Monday, April 16, 2007 7:01 PM
  • My problem with Vista, iTunes and my iPod is the size of the sync.  I have a 60 gb iPod and if I sync some amount more than 1 gb the system freezes and I get a BSOD KERNEL_STACK_INPAGE_ERROR, or some variation of this.  I have iTunes 7.1.1.  I did a clean install of Vista Business.  I can sync my shuffle but not my Video iPod.
    Saturday, April 21, 2007 4:23 AM
  • iTunes 7.1.1 works fine on my version of Windows Vista (Ultimate clean install). The Apple web site spells out the few remaining minor issues.
    Saturday, April 21, 2007 7:12 PM
  • After installing iTunes my computer no longer see or run my DVD/CD player or my external hard drive. I uninstalled iTunes on my Vista machine and it now reads both the DVD and external hard drives again. I  will then reinstall iTunes on my XP machine and hope that there is a solution soon. What a crazy work around. I have found others on another forum with these same issues. Welcome to the new OS I guess.

Mike, did this happen to you?

Thursday, April 26, 2007 5:39 PM
  • I am VERY VERY VERY unhappy with my BRAND NEW PCs performance (Duo Processor):

1. Vista

2. Yahoo IM

3. iTunes

4. Microsoft WebCam

Problem is, now my audio doesnt work. At all. I am tempted to uninstall and re-install XP...but Bill & Company are discontinuing service on it.

I am considering Apple/Mac. You never see a group of Mac Users saying "try Ctrl-Alt-Delete."

I'm VERY unhappy.

Anyone know of a solution/patch, yet?

Tuesday, May 01, 2007 12:09 AM
  • I would get rid of TEN PCs before  I got rid of my iPod.

Fix it, Microsoft. Enable the Apples patches...

Another Fatal Error? Must be time to return to Apple...

-nickschuyler

Tuesday, May 01, 2007 12:13 AM
  • AGREED! Well said, I just spent $2500 on a brand new PC with Vista Home Basic and the first time i plugged my iPod in after downloading iTunes 7 it got corrupted!!! Biggest mistake I made was buying a PC and not a Mac!
    Friday, May 04, 2007 10:43 AM
  • There seems to be a very clear thread here.   If you upgrade from an old version of Windows to Vista you will get problems with iTunes and even if you load the new version there is a chance you will still have problems.   I upgraded my Compaq from XP Pro SP2 to Vistsa Ultimate 32 bit and yes I am having problems.   But everywhere I had read and all the forums I have visited state that when you perform a CLEAN instal of Vista there are fewer if any issues.

So, tonight I shall wipe my PC clean and re-instal VISTA and we shall see what happens........  wish me luck! :-)

Friday, May 04, 2007 11:36 AM
  •  

Microsoft supports ZUNE...the big clunky thing.  No surprise they don't care that ipod won't mesh with vista. 

Saturday, May 05, 2007 11:54 PM
  • I have the exact same set-up (New Vista box, new iTunes install) but the iTunes install does not work.   After the entire Vista debacle, I'm ready to turn into a Mac guy.
    Sunday, May 06, 2007 4:14 AM
  • Pssht..

We went to Vista Home Premium (32-Bit) iTunes DID Work fine for like 15-20 days. I had to restore my iPod and went back to adding music to it.

iTunes Froze and I had to restart my computer. I could still bring it up, but any work iTunes has to do (Like adding songs) it freezes so bad I have to restart; It did this everytime.

I then wiped the computer and reinstalled everything (HP-Recovery) still didn't work, I wiped & reinstalled everything again same problem

So I wiped the computer and took it back got a new one; FIRST thing I did was DOWNLOAD & INSTALL iTunes. Started Re-Adding my music, after 30 songs it froze. I FINALLY got out of iTunes and got back into it, it did it AGAIN.

Ok, now for all of you smart asses to answer that one. Don't go pointing to Apple or Microsoft; I stayed up ALL night one night reading through articles from both websites-NOTHING answers this.

It Started NOT WORKING on my other Windows Vista and it CONTINUED not working on my NEW one (Same version).

If you think your so smart, ANSWER THAT! I know that a new install of BOTH iTunes and Vista isnt going to have the SAME problem on both PCS.

Thanks..

It shows my E-Mail on this or you can reply to this..

Tuesday, May 08, 2007 4:46 AM
  •   When i try to install the newer version of itunes onto my new desktop it says certain firewalls are blocking it from being able to load. Im

not sure which firewalls i need to let down to get this too work properly.very frustrating. please help.

Wednesday, May 09, 2007 2:44 PM
  • After some intial confusion, I was able to get my ipod to work with Vista.

Go to Programs in Control Panel...Go to iTunes...right click on iTunes and activate 'repair'.

This fixed the problem for me.

Wednesday, May 09, 2007 9:51 PM
  • I just forked out £450 for a Laptop, it has Vista and so far I've been able to do very very little. But i thought that buying a ipod would be a good idea as they have a really good rep about them. I didn't however expect to find that there would be a problem with my operating system and a simple MP3 player. I had to go through a whole song and to get my laptop to just see the ipod, it then took me one and a half hours to get it to sync!!! Now that i have music on the ipod i'm not as p***ed off. That was until I tried to sync again and after trying to previous method it wouldn't work! i spent to days going through both Microsoft and the Ipod websites and neither have a true way to fix my problem. I WISH I HAD OF STAYED WITH XP!!! At least there weren't many problems with it.

Monday, May 14, 2007 1:36 AM
  • I have the exact same problem. I did a second itunes download and the cd-dvd stopped working again. As long as I didn't shut down the computer the cd-dvd drive worked. As soon as I booted up my computer  after a shutdown, the cd-dvd drive wouldn't start. Both times!!!!!!
    Tuesday, May 15, 2007 3:09 AM
  • You think you guys have problems?

I upgraded Vista over a week ago, and simply used my iPod for transporting my work and worked for over a week. On friday, I decided I wanted to sort out the songs on my iPod. When I plugged it in, it said that the iPod was corrupt and needed restoring... Ok by me, I wanted to delete everything anyway... but when I restored it, the computer went to a BSOD, but the wierdest one I have ever seen... like on the film "The Net" where the virus eats away at the computer. It did it again and again! so I went to my XP computer and restored it there with success... sort of. Came back to Vista, and my iPod wouldn't sync anything, both music and files and either came up with an error (-69) message on itunes, or cyclic redundancy check. I managed to get one album onto my iPod, but half way through the album, the iPod started to hang for ages, and became very hot within seconds. Was also making horrific noises!

So I went downstairs to my XP computer, and restored it on there... same result!

My verdict... Vista has corrupted my iPod's hard drive!

I still love Vista though... going to send my iPod back for repairs as its still under warranty.

DONT USE VISTA TO RESTORE IPOD
    Wednesday, May 16, 2007 7:02 PM
  • ah thats exactly what i did...

it would not work on my vista so i got on a XP and tryed and it didnt work blah blah so i got on a friends XP iTunes and could not get my music but i got their library which was only 100 songs

thing is, i have iPod nano 2nd generation (4GIG) and its a flash drive i think unlike Video with its own harddrive....

Wednesday, May 16, 2007 10:44 PM
  • The problem I keep having is people talking about "clean installs" of Vista. I just bought a laptop that I love that came with Vista. I only use Itunes for downloading tv shows. I had NO trouble doing this on xp, with Vista, the video is choppy and it stops then starts and doesn't match the audio. I agree that Vista should not have been released until this is fixed. I have updated all the video drivers and still bad. Even some video that is not Itunes is all scrammbled and pink. Any help would be appreciated.
    Thursday, May 17, 2007 10:27 AM
  • how did you get on with the re-install? i just upgraded my laptop keeping excisting programs but now i have older versions that wont delete. also when i try to install itunes it gets as far as allowing me to save and select a location but it only gives me the G: drive option which is useless as its my memory card drive. any ideas?

Thursday, May 17, 2007 6:51 PM
  • Wouldn't you expect that the hardware manufacturer would offer a download patch to address new operating systems as they arise. It would be nice if Apple supported their own products. Then Microsoft could add that technology to their next Service Pack or optional Updates.

I think I'll pass on installing Itunes now that I see the problems...thanks for the info everyone.

Monday, May 21, 2007 10:08 PM
  • The advice on Apple and MS websites is not helpful and the patch from MS (KB936824) does not cure the problem - I have Vista Home Premium and ipod 60 video - each time I try to sync with iTunes, the PC crashes.  Have tried all suggestions (including complete reinstall of Vista & iTunes) but problem persists.  Is this ***-up or conspiracy?  Either way, patch is urgently required by all iPod and Vista users - of which there must be millions!!
    Sunday, May 27, 2007 7:29 PM
  •  

i brought myself a new pc,my old pc had itunes installed on it with an extensive library,when i transfered itunes to my new pc it all went very smoothly until i downloaded some new music and tried to put this on my ipod,it went on itunes with no probs but no new music will go on my ipod,which is very frustrating,is anything coming in the future to sort this problem out

Thursday, May 31, 2007 1:44 PM
  • I have the same problem, new PC as of June 1, new itunes 7.2 and my 60gig ipod still crashed the PC- the dreaded blue screen.  I've had to run chkdsk to fix sectors after. this is real bad.

It is a video Ipod issue?

Monday, June 04, 2007 5:54 PM
  • Looks like a lot of people are having problems with this. I feel your pain. I have many problems playing purchased and downloaded content with WMP which came with the darn thing for pete's sake! As for iTunes, I have a new computer that came with Vista Basic and an iPOD which I bought AFTER I got the computer. They have both worked together flawlessly so I can only conclude that regardless of whether it's a clean install and the right version of iTunes, there may be something on the iPOD from BEFORE Vista that is not playing well with Vista.
    Tuesday, June 05, 2007 12:43 AM
  • I have had no end of problems with this issue...

So after much testing and time wasting I found that :

1) USB = ***

2) FIREWIRE = GREAT

But with a ipod video there is no firewire of course.

So some site mentioned 'update bios', so I did, downloaded and updated BIOS and all drivers from the Intel site for my motherboard (DG965WH).

Now it works... in a fashion...

1) start itunes

2) plug in ipod

3) IT WORKS

If I do it the other way round, itunes will not start. As soon as I unplug the ipod (yes with the 'Do not disconnect' message) itunes starts... I reconnect the ipod an IT WORKS.

BUT...

When the ipod minimizes to the system tray IT WILL NOT COME BACK TO LIFE.. with the ipod plugged in... now this only happens sometimes...

So at least I can update my music etc now no trouble... BUT I think my itunes store purchases (1 album only) will not down load and thats not a worry AS I WILL NOT BUY ANYMORE!

Hope this helps...

Monday, June 11, 2007 11:53 AM
  • wow, after reading all the other posts, you are brave.  I got a brand new pc, as many others have posted, new pc, new vista, new installed itunes & recovered library. We all have the same problems... the combo doesn't work, CLEAN or dirty!

PLEASE...are there any answers?  all was well for about a month. now,itunes crashes when I try to update my ipod & will not sync my photos, many photots are warped & distorted,  now I cant get my music library to sync either.

Monday, June 11, 2007 7:58 PM
  • I haven't tried to sync any songs yet, but I can't get any videos imported into iTunes when I'm on vista and converted videos won't work. I'm really frustrated with it... help us microsoft and/or apple. Sad
    Tuesday, June 12, 2007 12:22 AM
  • Well, in light of the situation... my iPod was only 4 months old when it broke, so it was under warranty and is being replaced with a nice, shiny new one!
    Tuesday, June 12, 2007 2:35 PM
  • Some better news here, digging around online I got the suggestions to not to try to sync Photo's, vid's, TV shows or anything else except Music.  I have about 24 gig of tunes on the iPod (35 gig so far total).  First, I copied over the exact library from my old Dell 4400 (WINXP) to my new Dell E521 (Vista) as well as the Library files via network- this took time.  Then rebuilt the Library via instructions on the iTunes site on the new vista PC.  I then sync'd the iPod to the Old WinXP library to be sure it was exaclty the same as the one on the new Vista Machine.  Started itunes on the Vista PC, plugged in the iPod and sync'd again...no problems.  Even aded some new tunes via a CD still no problems.   I cant be sure this problem was itunes specific as I have unloaded a Western Digital external harddrive and drivers (drivers are also a cause of the dreaded blue screen) and this may have solved the problem, too.  Will work the PC for a few weeks to see what happens with no External hard drive , then reinstall the HD and see if the problem occurs again.  it may have been both issues, too??

I have not been brave enought to try to just pull out the iPod with out hitting the eject button in iTunes yet with all the early problems with this issue.

Tuesday, June 12, 2007 4:06 PM
  • Okay... I have a 30Gig video ipod and MS Vista Business.   And like many of you... it worked fine for a long time.  Now it doesn't.  Here is what happened, and what I tried.:

WHAT HAPPENED
    I was on vacation three weeks ago.  I mention this cause maybe the ipod got jostled around.  I went to watch a video and it sort of started... the just died.  Turn ipod off and on.  Okay now I have a 'working' ipod' but no content on it.

I returned home and sync-ed it, but I get the blue screen of death.  Unless I unplug the ipod from the USB port my PC will not boot.

WHAT I TRIED
    1. Like an idiot I plugging the ipod in crashing the system several times.
    2. I have tried turning off 'ituneshelper.exe' in the task manager and plugging in the ipod.  Good... this works.  But if you start itunes it's gonna crash
    3. So... don't start itunes.  I did a quick reformat of the drive using the explorer and right-clicking the drive to force a reformat.  Quick did not work.
    4. So I am currently trying a long slow reformat of the ipod.  The sad news is it doesn't show you a progress bar, but the little ipod just grinds away.
    CONTUNUED.
    Monday, June 18, 2007 11:25 PM
  • can someone please help. I have a new laptop with Vista intalled, and an iPod. Not being technical, i have managed to set up a playlist on my Windows Media Player, but, I am finding it impossible to sync my iPod with WMP. Don't know why, but when I plug my iPod into my laptop, WMP still asks me to "connect a device".

Can i use my WMP instead of iTunes so I dnt have to save my music in two places?

thanks!

Tuesday, June 19, 2007 3:09 PM
  • I am having the same issue that you were/are have you prehaps found a solution yet? I'm hoping up you can help me since Microsoft and Apple can't
    Sunday, June 24, 2007 5:00 AM
  • I am having the same problem as you.  I got a new computer with windows vista and then for my birthday I got a Apple Nano.  Installed ITUNES...and no DVD/CD drive can be read.  Have you heard of a patch or fix for this yet?

Thanks

Sunday, July 01, 2007 2:45 AM
  • Then, why when I try to install a new version of iTunes and QuickTime...it crashes on QuickTime install...what's up?
    Sunday, July 08, 2007 6:33 PM
  • I have a new HP laptop which came with Vista Home Premium installed.  My 5G video IPOD started to sync with it and stopped at song 71 with the message that Vista didn't recognized my IPOD.  Since then I have gone to all of the tip sheets from Apple and Microsoft - nothing has worked.  I have uninstalled and reinstalled iTunes three times with no success.  Neither Vista nor iTunes recognizes my IPOD.  I have received zero response from my emails to Apple and Microsoft regarding this problem which suggests to me that they probably are as clueless as the rest of us.  Time to sell the IPOD and start looking for something that will work with Vista.
    Wednesday, July 11, 2007 11:23 PM
  • After 4 years of Ipod ownership (3 ipods...) and 3 versions of windows I can safely say :

1) dont try to use wmp with ipod unless you have a lot of computer skills and time on your hands.

2) itunes is the problem in 90% of cases not your ipod.

3) check forums for help from experienced users is the best way to solves problems.

4) use 3rd party utilities at your own risk and again if you have the time and the skill to handle them.

5) if you are going to fiddle things COPY your itunes library to a safe place before you start.

If you have bugs with itunes hanging - not syncing properly then check your motherboard support for :

-bios updates

-driver updates

-specifically for USB issues

I have had LOTS of trouble with a late 2006 motherboard from Intel with iTunes... I solved the problems by updating my bios and reinstalling my drivers for BOTH Win XP SP2 and Vista Ultimate...(yes I dual boot...)

I am now a happy camper...

Hope you can solve your problems...

USB will be the problem when...

1) your ipod does not get found when plugged in

2) iTunes hangs when the ipod is plugged in

3) your ipod is seen as a generic USB device.

Of course keep up to date with service packs... but DO NOT blindly accept iTunes updates from Apple as I have found these to be rubbish 50% of the time.

Good luck...

Friday, July 13, 2007 1:23 AM
  • I have tried everything that's listed on these forums, and I still can't open iTunes. I recently bought a new HP laptop with Windows Vista, and everything worked great at first. I was able to sync, and I had few problems using iTunes. But after it kept suggesting that I upgrade to iTunes 7.3, that's when things went wrong. I downloaded and installed, and ever since then, I get the following message when I try to open iTunes:

"iTunes has stopped working."

I have tried wiping all iTunes/iPod remnants off my computer and then reinstalling.... still nothing. I don't know what to do! I need my iPod! (I have no songs on it because it deleted them all itself, and then completely broked for the 6th time... got a new one, but can't get my music on it)

Can anyone help me... please??? Thx
    Monday, July 16, 2007 5:46 PM
  • Unfortunately, WMP doesn't support ipod

Saturday, July 28, 2007 8:21 PM
  • Hey Frustrated417 did you ever findout how to fix this problem i have thousands of songs i have transferred to my new laptop, a 3000 dollar high definition dvd, cd rom la la la la la and cant even burn a f ning cd this is horse *** i cant even get the stupid geek squad to help me fix my problem.  I have a hp and am not sure another brand is any different since vista has the monoply on the market but damn i swore i saw steve jobs and bill gates working together on several issues maybe they have since had another falling out.  Can any one help me figure out why a brand new state of the art laptop cant burn apple itune cds. 

thanks for someones help!!!

Tuesday, July 31, 2007 10:50 AM
  •  

my friend just gave me and ipod shuffle and i cant get anysongs to sync onto it....im getting pissed.....is there any way i can get it to work because i dont have the installation cd

George Rooney

Wednesday, September 05, 2007 7:54 PM
  • I don't think a CD would have helped.  I don't know if a shuffle came with a CD.... My daughter's nano didn't.   My other daughter has a iPod video and it came with a CD and it still didn't sync.....

The problem seems like a wide spread one but some are having success..... 

I do have questions to readers hoping to get some sample size... commonality....

If your iPod is successfully sync'ed with Vista, is your ipod new or previously exposed to another OS such as XP??

If the iPod is old (exposed to non-Vista previously) and working flawlessly with Vista, what version of iTunes are you using??

Here is what I think what's going on (it's just my guess).  When you connect your iPod for very first time, it loads the iPod via iTunes via whatever OS the computer is running on.  If you use XP machine to setup your iPod, it maybe incompatible with Vista..... 

Friday, September 07, 2007 4:02 AM
  • I have new PC with Windows Vista Ultimate, my ipod Classic works OK on this PC, iTunes locates it and can transfer music successfully, however I also have 2 other ipod Shuffle's which Vista recognises as an iPod but asks me to install drivers from the CD that came with the ipods, the shuffle did not have any drivers. In Device manager it appears under Other Devices as iPod but with the yellow exclamation mark and despite searching windows update and every other option Vista offers, it still will not install properly.

When I load iTunes, it does not detect these shuffle's either, so I cannot use them via this PC, however they do work on another PC running Windows XP, so there is nothing wrong with the Shuffle's?

I have the latest iTunes installed - version 7.4.3.1, but it still does not detect these Shuffle's.

It is Windows Vista that appears to be the problem, but only with this one version of the iPod?

I have read that some USB connections are not powerful enough for the iPod, but not sure if thats true.

Any help would be really useful as I have all my tunes on my Vista PC and did not want to have to make copies on my old windows XP PC.

Wednesday, October 17, 2007 10:53 AM
  • That is the problem, when going to the control panel and then itunes, when I right click on it nothing happens. It's supposed to show up at the top either uninstall, restore or repair and nothing happens, any suggestions?

Monday, March 31, 2008 4:12 AM
  • how do i sync my i pod shuffle
    Sunday, April 06, 2008 12:44 AM
  • WOW..I have been having this same issue! I finally figured out why my CD/DVD drive won't run. I downloaded the itunes software and it disables my CD/DVD drive; when I uninstall itunes, the drive returns. Also, even if I try to use the ipod thru the Media Player, my computer does not recognize my ipod????  Come on...someone needs to fix this. I have a brand new computer and Ipod and can't even use both together. If this is not resolved soon, I am going to give up on this computer, give it away, and purchase a MAC!

Thursday, May 15, 2008 11:42 AM
  • FINALLY! Someone who knows how to fix something. Many, many thanks. It worked exactly as you said. I may try that with other programs.

Tuesday, May 27, 2008 11:46 PM