none
Windows 7 User Profile in the Cloud! RRS feed

• General discussion

• I like the Windows 7 User Interface very much, but i dislike to setup the GUI on pc's over and over again. Corporates have roaming profiles but on home networks there is nothing!!??

Non Enterprise corporate users often have multiple pc's a extra laptop or pc's they use at different locations.

The Windows user profile could be stored in the cloud, it could be tight to a MSN live account. The Cloud profile could be loaded while logging on a Windows PC and providing an optional MSN Live account, that account will be used to retrieve the desktop and GUI settings. Of course this could be extended to install the live (cloud) applications and settings chosen to follow the user.

So much time people still lose on non productive, repetitive Windows maintaining task. I prefer setting things up once, and then forgot only to maintain them.  
    Monday, January 12, 2009 10:11 AM

All replies

• I agree with that. MS could give us an option to store settings for example on Sky Drive, which allow us to share one desktop settings, wallpaper, shortuts, etc. on all of our computers, please consider that option in future versions. OFC this could be active, when I'm connected to internet. 
    Monday, January 12, 2009 11:30 AM
  • Yes the infrastructure for this feature is already in place, the impact on the Internet connection could be optimized using Byte level Differential communication. The profile also will create regular backups (of course). For my bookmarks is use www.foxmarks.com and that works great for bookmarks and password, Firefox and IE.
    I prefer tho have the whole windows experience captured inside such a service. i don't know if Microsoft considers "Profile in The Cloud" an opportunity for other or something cool they could do themselves?!
    Monday, January 12, 2009 11:48 AM
  • Cloud computing is developing at now, we have to wait. But this proposal is worth to include in future versions.
    Monday, January 12, 2009 12:09 PM
  • maybe via mesh.com ?
    Monday, January 12, 2009 1:34 PM
  • Oh and please make it configurable so that one can use ANY server accessible via sftp (e.g., my own), not some proprietary Microsoft server. Why? Just think of your experience getting the Windows  7 download and key.
    Monday, January 12, 2009 1:57 PM
  • > ANY server accessible

Yes is should be open i agree, but making it a Live service will we fine for most people.

> mesh.com

mesh.com is now too limited and focused on file and desktop sharing, using a mesh client to achieve this seems very acceptable, even better choosing this at logon.
    Monday, January 12, 2009 2:26 PM
  • I think it's too late to include this function at now. This should be developed under alpha stages :/
    Monday, January 12, 2009 2:40 PM
  • I don't think this is an easy feature that can be added easy or be done by others outside Microsoft. I only hope that Microsoft could consider that people don't want to spend their time setting up or reconfiguring their user profiles to often.

For now i pleased with Windows 7 the way it is.
    Tuesday, January 13, 2009 9:27 AM
  • I expected the integration of Live Mesh and Windows 7. :(

Tuesday, January 13, 2009 1:24 PM