none
Update for Microsoft .NET Framework 4 for x64-based Systems (KB2468871) fails with error code 643

Question

• I've been trying to install this update for weeks. Done all the troubleshooting I know how to and still no luck. All winupdate tells me is this:

Update for Microsoft .NET Framework 4 on Windows XP, Windows Server 2003, Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows Server 2008, Windows Server 2008 R2 for x64-based Systems (KB2468871)

Installation date: ‎10/‎20/‎2011 3:02 PM

Installation status: Failed

Error details: Code 643

Update type: Recommended

Install this update to resolve issues in Microsoft .NET Framework 4. For a complete listing of the issues that are included in this update, see the associated Microsoft Knowledge Base article for more information. After you install this item, you may have to restart your computer.

Solutions attempted:

• Ran fix on existing .NET
    • Uninstalled/reinstalled existing .NET (with and w/o cleaner)
    • Manually downloaded/installed update
    • Installed update manually/with winupdate after a clean boot
    • Installed update manually/with winupdate with Norton disabled
    • Everything here
    • Other stuff I cant remember right now, something with checking the registry for incorrect entries and installing older versions of .NET

I currently have .NET 4 Client Profile and .NET 4 Extender installed on my computer. I am running Windows 7 Home Premium x64 SP1, 6GB ram, on a Dell Inspiron N5110. This is the only update I am unable to download,and the only persistant problem I have had with the computer. laptop is ~3 months old.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thursday, October 20, 2011 7:29 PM

All replies

• http://www.windows-it.tk/wp/fixwinupdate.html

Windows MVP 2010-11, XP, Vista, 7. Expanding into Windows Server 2008 R2, SQL Server, SharePoint, Cloud, Virtualization etc. etc.

Hardcore Games, Legendary is the only Way to Play

Developer | Windows IT | Chess | Economics | Vegan Advocate | PC Reviews

Friday, October 21, 2011 1:23 AM
  • Try reset Windows Update components to check if it works. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971058 

Then perform a system file check, click Start, input cmd in the search box, press ENTER to open the command prompt. Input the command: sfc /scannow then press ENTER.

Reinstall the update to check if it works.

Regards,

Miya

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. | Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Tuesday, October 25, 2011 7:22 AM
  • "Miya Yao" wrote in message news:84c2ab86-895f-4aaa-8ccc-a1e2dfd0e399...

Try reset Windows Update components to check if it works. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971058 

Then perform a system file check, click Start, input cmd in the search box, press ENTER to open the command prompt. Input the command: sfc /scannow then press ENTER.

Regards,

Miya

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. | Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

I’ve been fighting one machine with this for the past couple of days.
    ALL other installs work either through WU, or standalone – just the KN2468871 fails.
    I’ve used the Fixit to reset WU – no change
    I’ve run chkdsk, SFC, and checkSUR – all clean – no change
    I’ve Run the .NET repair – no change
    I’ve run Fixit 50202 in normal and aggressive modes – no change
    I’ve uninstalled all the updates, run the .NET repair, reinstalled the updates from WU – no change
    I’ve now completely uninstalled .NET 4 and run the cleanup tool – reinstalling the base .NET 4 as I type.
    will let you know progress

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    Saturday, October 29, 2011 1:39 PM
  • maybe its time for a fresh install of windows?

remember to backup

Windows MVP 2010-11, XP, Vista, 7. Expanding into Windows Server 2008 R2, SQL Server, SharePoint, Cloud, Virtualization etc. etc.

Saturday, October 29, 2011 1:45 PM
  • The install works perfectly well apart from this one problem - so go take a running jump!

(besides which, a reinstall would involve having to acquire the Recovery disks, since the COA sticker is totally illegible)

Saturday, October 29, 2011 1:52 PM
  • I use a magnifying glass to read some of them

Saturday, October 29, 2011 1:57 PM
  • "Vegan Fanatic" wrote in message news:f88be7f9-d490-4dc6-af05-94243ae2fbae...

I use a magnifying glass to read some of them

read what I said – “totally illegible”!!!
    I ALWAYS use magnifiers when attempting to read the COA stickers – I’ve learned that it’s too easy to make mistakes unless I do.

Saturday, October 29, 2011 2:09 PM
  • That is a nuisance

is there a recovery partition on the hard disk?

Saturday, October 29, 2011 2:33 PM
  • "Vegan Fanatic" wrote in message news:635d03b8-fd78-4134-ab3c-5c6e07997bd5...

That is a nuisance

is there a recovery partition on the hard disk?

Nope – I checked, and the owner doesn’t have any recovery disks either.
    (the .NET updates just finished installing – and 2468871 crapped out again with another 643 error <grrr>)

Saturday, October 29, 2011 2:39 PM
  • then you have one idea left

go find magic jelly beans and use it to recovery the OEM key and then find the appropriate OEM disk

Saturday, October 29, 2011 2:44 PM
  • Are being deiberately stupid - or were you born that way?

Any disk that works with the OEM_SLP Key will already include it - unless it's a hacked one, and I have no intention of putting a hacked copy of Windows on any PC. The OEM_SLP Key will ONLY work on proper Recovery disks (or hacks).

Yet again - I have to say to you  "Put brain in gear before opening mouth"

Saturday, October 29, 2011 3:27 PM
  • It depends on if the OEM image was slipstreamed, sometimes the OEM key is removed

Saturday, October 29, 2011 3:41 PM
  • "Vegan Fanatic" wrote in message news:1166db81-c102-4065-be60-41886713c525...

It depends on if the OEM image was slipstreamed, sometimes the OEM key is removed

Like I said – **hacked**

Saturday, October 29, 2011 3:56 PM
  • all I can suggest is look for the OEM disks and go from there

Saturday, October 29, 2011 4:03 PM
  • "Noel D Paton" wrote in message news:fcbd6963-8734-42be-8494-0e860f65ad26...
    "Miya Yao" wrote in message news:84c2ab86-895f-4aaa-8ccc-a1e2dfd0e399...

Try reset Windows Update components to check if it works. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971058 

Regards,

Miya

I’ve been fighting one machine with this for the past couple of days.
    ALL other installs work either through WU, or standalone – just the KN2468871 fails.
    I’ve used the Fixit to reset WU – no change
    I’ve run chkdsk, SFC, and checkSUR – all clean – no change
    I’ve Run the .NET repair – no change
    I’ve run Fixit 50202 in normal and aggressive modes – no change
    I’ve uninstalled all the updates, run the .NET repair, reinstalled the updates from WU – no change
    I’ve now completely uninstalled .NET 4 and run the cleanup tool – reinstalling the base .NET 4 as I type.
    will let you know progress

No change :(

I’ve put a query in the email support system – we’ll see how it goes :)

Saturday, October 29, 2011 11:20 PM
  • Still no luck, I'll be trying to do a repair install when I have the time. This is beyond frustrating =/
    Thursday, November 03, 2011 4:17 AM