none
Internal DVD Writer drive, no longer recognized. CD/DVD drive item missing in Device Manager RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I have a Lenovo Laptop with Windows 8.1.

Its internal DVD Writer drive is now missing from Computer / Windows Explorer, and its item is also now missing in Device Manager. The optical drive is powered and it will spin discs, is no longer recognsed by Windows.

I believe I may have instigated this issue by confusing the functioning and effect of the Notification Area's "Safely Remove Hardware and Eject Media utility", with the Devices and Printer utilities "Remove Device" option. This being when I had difficulties getting the Optical Drive's tray to open. Yes, of course the one option is for USB devices and the other is for installed devices, but I just used the wrong option instead of the "Eject" option in Devices and Printers (the "Eject" option may have been missing at the time).

While I can understand the "Remove Device" option apparently completely removes installation of an internal device, what I find strange is that this apparently also leaves the user with no options for reinstalling that same device. If I spin up any disc in the affected optical drive, and then in Devices and Printers choose "Add Device", it finds no devices to install !

I have visited the manufacturer's website under the serial number for this laptop, but although they show drivers for various functions, they do not offer drivers for the optical drive. Perhaps it was installed using Windows drivers.

Please advise how I can get the operating system to once again recognize the perfectly good internal DVD Writer drive.

I look forward to hearing with a solution.

Regards,

Robert339

• Edited by Robert339 Tuesday, November 12, 2019 11:37 AM
    Tuesday, November 12, 2019 11:23 AM

All replies

• Hi,

You did try restarting the computer?

Also, using System Restore is a possible fix for the issue.

Also, what is the model of the Lenovo laptop?

• Edited by auggyMVP Tuesday, November 12, 2019 11:18 PM
    Tuesday, November 12, 2019 11:17 PM
  • Hi

For your issue, firstly try to use Hardware and Devices troubleshooter;

Method 2: Verify the drive is activated in the BIOS;

Method 3: Update or reinstall the driver;

Method 4: Remove and reinstall IDE/ATAPI drivers;

Method 5: Fix corrupted registry entries;

Method 6: Create a registry subkey;

More details you could refer to the following Microsoft article:

Your CD or DVD drive is not recognized by Windows or other programs

Hope can help you. Have a nice day!

Best regards

Kiki

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, November 13, 2019 7:12 AM
  • Hello Auggy,

Thank you for your response.

Yes, I did try restarting the computer, and by the way, I don't tend leave the laptop on indefinitely and so have since noticed the missing item on booting it up!

System Restore does not apparently change (aka "protect") drivers, yet I still tried restoring to a restore point, but this did not change the issue.

Machine Type:

80E4

Regards,

Robert339

Wednesday, November 13, 2019 9:59 AM
  • Hello  Kiki,

Thank you for your response.

1) Hardware and Devices troubleshooter does not find the device that is missing, but I will repeat this as soon as I have a disc to hand to spin up in the optical drive while performing the check; I don't have a disc right now.

2) Yes, I did open the BIOS (UEFI) but no where in it could I find any mention of a CD/DVD item - and for example there is no such item under boot devices.

3) Update or reinstall the driver:

I do not know how to do this because the CD/DVD device has disappeared from Device Manager, and there are also no drivers offered on the manufacturer's website.

4) Remove and reinstall IDE/ATAPI drivers:

I will try this.

5) 6)  Fix corrupted registry entries; / Create a registry subkey;

I do not know what Registry entries to change, nor what registry subkey to create or where to insert it in the Registry.

6) The article "Your CD or DVD drive is not recognized by Windows or other programs (https://support.microsoft.com/en-sg/help/314060/your-cd-or-dvd-drive-is-not-recognized-by-windows-or-other-programs) does not deal with the issue that I have, since it states as part of the issue:

"... and the device is marked with a yellow exclamation point in Device Manager",

whereas as I have explained, the "CD/DVD" item is now MISSING in Device Manager.

I will try items 1 and 4 and let you know the result.

Thanks.

Regards,

Robert339

Wednesday, November 13, 2019 10:24 AM
  • If the problem persists try the following storage driver from Intel which may be the latest for the chipset:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26759/Intel-Rapid-Storage-Technology-Intel-RST-User-Interface-and-Driver

• Edited by auggyMVP Wednesday, November 13, 2019 10:28 PM
    Wednesday, November 13, 2019 10:26 PM
  • Hi,

You are welcome.

We are looking forward to your reply.

Have a nice day!

Best Regards,

Kiki

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, November 14, 2019 8:04 AM
  • Hello  Kiki,

With reference to my previous post to you, here are the results of trying the remaining methods you suggested:

Your method one: "Hardware and Devices troubleshooter":

It did not find the installed optical drive even when a disc is spinning in there.

(This troubleshooter appears to be the same utility as 'Devices and Printers' > 'Add a device" (see my original message).

The troubleshooter suggests as an alternative option, the:

‘Refresh your PC without affecting your files’ option,

but which is unacceptable because, as that utility states:

"Apps you installed from discs or websites will be removed. ...".

Your method four: Remove and reinstall IDE/ATAPI drivers:

I have done this, but upon reboot, and also following doing: Device Manager: "Scan for hardware changes", the issue remains.

Robert339.

Thursday, November 14, 2019 8:34 AM
  • Hi Robert339,

>>" Yes, I did open the BIOS (UEFI) but no where in it could I find any mention of a CD/DVD item - and for example there is no such item under boot devices."

Since you could not find CD/DVD in BIOS, it shows that's the problem of hardware instead of system problems.

Suggest you connecting to the After sale service for assistance directly.

Have a nice day!

Best Regards,

Kiki

Friday, November 15, 2019 6:27 AM
  • Hi,

If any reply is useful for you, please kindly mark it as an answer.

If you need further help, please feel free to reply this post directly so we will be notified to follow it up.

Have a nice day^_^

Regards,

Kiki

Monday, December 2, 2019 2:21 AM