Change MAK to KMS via "slmgr -upk"? RRS feed

• Question

• If I have a Vista (or Server 2008) client which has been activated via MAK, can I use "slmgr -upk" to revert it to KMS activation?

Or do I need to take further steps to make this happen (or is it impossible)?

(Thought I'd ask the question before trying to prove it, to save myself wasting time answering a question other people know the answer to. I don't have a KMS, yet.)
    Thursday, April 30, 2009 12:12 PM

Answers

• Hello Robin,
    You do not need to run slmgr /upk to uninstall the product key.
    You should only need to run slmgr /ipk xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx.
    Use the KMS client keys from the Volume Activation Deployment document:
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=9893F83E-C8A5-4475-B025-66C6B38B46E3&displaylang=en

Thanks, Darrell Gorter[MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights
    Thursday, April 30, 2009 5:34 PM
  • Hello NeKro,
    All Volume license media default to installing KMS client keys(Volume_KMSClient channel which is what you are seeing)
    You simply need to install the MAK key to changed to MAK based licensing
    from an elevated CMD prompt.
    slmgr /IPK xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx
    Thanks, Darrell Gorter This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights
    • Proposed as answer by NeKro Friday, July 31, 2009 6:34 PM
    • Marked as answer by Carey FrischMVP Thursday, February 10, 2011 7:41 AM
    Thursday, July 30, 2009 5:55 PM

All replies

• Hello Robin,
    You do not need to run slmgr /upk to uninstall the product key.
    You should only need to run slmgr /ipk xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx.
    Use the KMS client keys from the Volume Activation Deployment document:
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=9893F83E-C8A5-4475-B025-66C6B38B46E3&displaylang=en

Thanks, Darrell Gorter[MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights
    Thursday, April 30, 2009 5:34 PM
  • Thanks again - I really should read those docs. Have downloaded the lot now to try to avoid asking questions where the answer is already documented.
    Friday, May 1, 2009 8:14 AM
  • I have an question,

how many different versions of server 2008 are there?

There is retail that takes retail keys
    There is OEM, that takes OEM keys
    and there is Volume License that takes KMS and MAK keys?

that correct?

reason why i'm asking is because I just installed server 2008, and it is in Initial Grace Period, according to slmgr.vbs -dli command.
    But it also says Volume_KMSClient channel, will I be able to use MAK key with this install?
    Thursday, July 30, 2009 3:01 AM
  • Hello NeKro,
    All Volume license media default to installing KMS client keys(Volume_KMSClient channel which is what you are seeing)
    You simply need to install the MAK key to changed to MAK based licensing
    from an elevated CMD prompt.
    slmgr /IPK xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx
    Thanks, Darrell Gorter This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights
    • Proposed as answer by NeKro Friday, July 31, 2009 6:34 PM
    • Marked as answer by Carey FrischMVP Thursday, February 10, 2011 7:41 AM
    Thursday, July 30, 2009 5:55 PM
  • Thank you Darrell
    Friday, July 31, 2009 6:34 PM
  • Am I the only one that thinks this answer is wrong, or at least not as clear as I think it should be? Correct me if I am wrong, but I think that the KMS key is only used on a KMS server and is used to register the server with Microsoft. Not to convert a client from MAK to KMS... Wont adding the KMS key to a client make the client a KMS server? You don't want piles of KMS servers on the network. You want a KMS server and all the clients call it based on the DNS entry and get a license from the KMS itself. You can rearm the client which to me seems like it might be the more appropriate answer.

Do I not understand how this works?

• Proposed as answer by Oldguard Wednesday, February 9, 2011 8:55 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by Carey FrischMVP Wednesday, February 9, 2011 9:25 PM
    Wednesday, February 9, 2011 8:54 PM
  • Hello Oldguard,

Some of this is terminology, sometimes referred to as KMS client keys or Setup keys for VL media is what is in the link.

There are two types of KMS keys, one the default keys which is what setup uses to install with, these are the keys used by the KMS clients.  If that key is used those machines will attempt to contact a KMS host machine. 

Those keys are edition specific but everybody uses the same key, that is list in the link I provided, people use these keys to convert machines back to being KMS client machines. 

There are also KMS host keys, these are specfic to your agreement numbers, these KMS host keys, will make a machine a KMS host, which is what will activate the KMS client machines.

Thanks, Darrell Gorter This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. VAMT - Volume Activation Management Tool - Download link http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=ec7156d2-2864-49ee-bfcb-777b898ad582&displaylang=en
    Thursday, February 10, 2011 12:41 AM
  • So I think I finally understand and see where I went wrong. To convert a system from MAK to KMS I should do the following:

1. Indentify the default KMS key from the list at the following link. This is the list of default KMS keys that Microsoft configures as part of operating system installation when no MAK key is provided.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff793421.aspx
    2. Use the KMS key from the above link to run the following command from a command prompt (with elevated rights).

cscript.exe %systemroot%\system32\slmgr.vbs -ipk <Key obtained from link>
    3. Activate your system

cscript.exe %systemroot%\system32\slmgr.vbs -ato

This procedure assumes that a KMS is already configured, and that DNS records for the KMS have already been verified.

I know I am dumbing this down, but for such a simple procedure it took me forever to figure out how to do this. Everything explains clearly how to stand up a KMS, but this part was a mystery. Thanks to Darrell Gorter for getting me corrected on this issue.

• Proposed as answer by ilninno84 Monday, December 18, 2017 10:29 PM
    Thursday, February 10, 2011 2:42 PM
  • Hello Oldguard,

A default install using Volume License media will install with the correct KMS setup key, so in those cases you would not even have to do steps one and two.  Only step three would be needed.

Steps One and Two are needed if the OS was installed with a different product, or changed to a different product key and needed to be changed back to the default KMS Setup keys.

Thanks, Darrell Gorter This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. VAMT - Volume Activation Management Tool - Download link http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=ec7156d2-2864-49ee-bfcb-777b898ad582&displaylang=en
    Friday, February 11, 2011 7:24 PM
  • I know that this is an old Thread, but i agree with Oldguard. (as i i am old school as well).

The org question was how to convert a machine that was built on a MAK Load not a KMS Software.

1.  When I build my machines with a Volume media it does not ask for a key.

2.  When I build my machine with MAK media it asks for a key.

So when I bring the machine built with mak key into the network and want to use the kms server to manage the key. How does one do that?

Is there a way to take the mak key off so it goes back to the Mak pool?

Or do I use the UPK. Method?

Old School.

Wednesday, July 22, 2015 4:26 PM
  • Oldguard,

Thanks much as your solution worked :)

BRamesh

Thursday, November 3, 2016 8:44 PM