none
Broken Compatibility with Brother DCP-110C?

Question

• Back near the beginning of the public beta (well, build 7000+) Brother DCP inkjets seem to have internittent issues with Win7 but functioned overall. Now in the final RC phase I can't find a way to get my DCP-110C working in Win7 at all. There seems to be a major timing/transmission error in Windows that cuts communication with the printer before the last packets of data are sent. As a result the device fails to print and a non-specific error message is displayed in the Printer Queue, sometimes accompanied by the printer firing out a sheet with the first fraction of the page printed and the bulk of it blank. Yet the printer works fine in XP with third-party drivers. As a result I have to restart my PC and return to my (thankfully still working) XP installation every time I have to print a document!

Is this a known issue with the Microsoft Brother drivers in the RC and is there any workaround?
    Friday, August 28, 2009 9:01 PM

Answers

• Hello,

First you might go to Device Manager, right click your hardware device in the list and select Update Driver Software; then click Search automatically for updated driver software.

Note: Drivers on the Windows Update site are directly provided by hardware manufacturers. Microsoft tests drivers in various environments before they are published; however, we cannot guarantee all drivers will work on all hardware platforms as there are too many different models, although their hardware ID are the same as the standard version. In some cases, due to hardware modifications by different manufacturers, the driver updates may cause some error.

o    If it does not work on your issue, I'd suggest you installing the Vista driver in Compatibility mode. Remove and rescan that hardware device in Device Manager, right-click on the driver executable/installer file -> Properties and select the Compatibility tab; click the checkbox before Run this program in Compatibility mode for option and select Windows Vista in the list-down box; then try installing the device driver via Run as administrator. In addition, you can use the Windows XP driver for testing.

Meanwhile, please understand that Windows 7 is a new operating system and whole driverstore has been reprogrammed; you might wait for another period of time till the retail version is released and push the vendor company to upgrade their device driver. Thanks for your time and understanding!

For more details, please look at the first Sticky thread at the top of this forum.

What can I do if my hardware does not work?

This will give you some guidelines.

Thanks,
    Novak

• Marked as answer by Novak Wu Monday, September 07, 2009 12:52 AM
    Friday, September 04, 2009 9:03 AM

All replies

• What driver did you install?  Did you let Win 7 download the driver and install it?
    Friday, August 28, 2009 9:45 PM
  • None - the only DCP-110C drivers for Win7 are the integrated ones from Microsoft, and that's what I used. I tried both with and without the MFL software suite (with no change in output or lack thereof; core driver was the same) but that's as far as Brother goes; they say Microsoft are calling the shots with the drivers for Win7.

I'd like to say its an error introduced into the MS driver but at this point I have no idea how many other DCP-110C users are affected; could just be me for some reason. Then again, I've just run a bunch of prints from XP this minute and there's clearly nothing wrong with the hardware.
    Friday, August 28, 2009 9:52 PM
  • I think you misinterpreted what is happening.  Microsoft is not calling the shots on drivers, they are just trying to make most of the available through Windows Update, but Brother is still writing the drivers and supplying them to Microsoft and they are not integrated into Windows 7 either.  If you have a rpoblem with the driver you should contact Brother Support and let them know.
    Sunday, August 30, 2009 6:25 PM
  • Hello,

First you might go to Device Manager, right click your hardware device in the list and select Update Driver Software; then click Search automatically for updated driver software.

Note: Drivers on the Windows Update site are directly provided by hardware manufacturers. Microsoft tests drivers in various environments before they are published; however, we cannot guarantee all drivers will work on all hardware platforms as there are too many different models, although their hardware ID are the same as the standard version. In some cases, due to hardware modifications by different manufacturers, the driver updates may cause some error.

o    If it does not work on your issue, I'd suggest you installing the Vista driver in Compatibility mode. Remove and rescan that hardware device in Device Manager, right-click on the driver executable/installer file -> Properties and select the Compatibility tab; click the checkbox before Run this program in Compatibility mode for option and select Windows Vista in the list-down box; then try installing the device driver via Run as administrator. In addition, you can use the Windows XP driver for testing.

Meanwhile, please understand that Windows 7 is a new operating system and whole driverstore has been reprogrammed; you might wait for another period of time till the retail version is released and push the vendor company to upgrade their device driver. Thanks for your time and understanding!

For more details, please look at the first Sticky thread at the top of this forum.

What can I do if my hardware does not work?

This will give you some guidelines.

Thanks,
    Novak

• Marked as answer by Novak Wu Monday, September 07, 2009 12:52 AM
    Friday, September 04, 2009 9:03 AM