none
Shadow session - black screen RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I encounter following problem - when admin tries to connect/control another session on the terminal server (from the server) - windows opens but has only black screen. The RDS farm is based on Windows Server 2016.

Any ideas?

Thank you!

Tuesday, April 18, 2017 9:31 AM

All replies

• I encounter following problem - when admin tries to connect/control another session on the terminal server (from the server) - windows opens but has only black screen. The RDS farm is based on Windows Server 2016.

Hi,

Does the issue occur to different user accounts and client systems, full desktop and RemoteApp sessions?

I will test in my lab and will let you know the result as soon as test is completed.

Best Regards,

Amy

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, April 20, 2017 7:21 AM
  • Hi,

There is no black screen issue in my lab when shadowing.

Please try to fully patch Windows systems and update network drivers to test.

Best Regards,

Amy

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, April 21, 2017 10:45 AM
  • I have the same black screen with Windows Server 2016, Standard, RDS Session Host mode, all current updates.

Steps to repeat: 

1) Users open RDP sessions in the RDS Host

2) Administrator in RDS Server's console tries to Shadow RDS User Sessions.

No errors, just shadow window is Black.  Same for either View or Control mode.

This used to be a really nice feature all the way back to NT Terminal Services.  It is working well in our Windows Server 2012, but not in Windows Server 2016.

Is there a "Do not show black screen instead of shadow session" policy or registry setting that I need to enable?

Any suggestions are appreciated.  This is a kind of show stopper for remote administration and assistance.

• Edited by IceHiker Wednesday, May 16, 2018 7:18 PM
    Wednesday, May 16, 2018 6:52 PM
  • I am experiencing the same issue.  Have you found a resolution?  Thanks

Tim Reid

Monday, August 13, 2018 9:19 PM
  • Actually I have seen this behavior.  It seems to happen to me when the users session has been idle.  Once the user moves their mouse or inputs keystrokes it "wakes" up instantly.  Im not sure if there is something that can be done about it or not.

Matt

Saturday, November 10, 2018 12:37 AM
  • The problem is when the user you are shadowing has locked there computer and it was put to sleep.  When you shadow there terminal it just displays a black screen and you can not do anything.

Anyone find a solution for this!

• Edited by JB1700 Monday, November 12, 2018 8:14 PM
    Monday, November 12, 2018 8:04 PM
  • I experience the same thing, however on thin clients it appears to not be an issue.  Only windows 10 idle sessions and some windows 7 clients.
    Friday, August 23, 2019 4:25 PM