none
In XP Mode, Recording Control Window is not right, and microphone not recognized

Question

• I have a brand new Hp Pavilion dv7-t 3000 Notebook, and am running Windows Professional.  The sound card they used on the motherboard is Soundblaster 16.  I have downloaded Winamp and the Shoutcast plug-in I need for Internet broadcasting, but cannot broadcast.  When I go to Sound, and work my way to the Recording Control Window, it does not show the window that I need.  Rather than showing WAV and Mic, and being able to SELECT them, it only shows Midi, Audio CDs, Line In, and Microphone.  I am unable to SELECT any of those, as the SELECT BOX has been replaced with a MUTE box.

The second problem is that my microphone is not being recognized while I am in XP Mode.  I went to Control Panel and ran a hardware test, but nothing registered.

I don't know if either or both of these issues would be solved by using a new soundcard.  Any ideas?
    Thursday, January 14, 2010 3:17 PM

Answers

• >I am in the XP Mode doing everything else, I am unable to have XP Mode recognize a microphone?

Exactly, there's just no facility in Windows Virtual PC to do that.

You might want to try one of the other Virtual Machine solutions like VMWare Player, it does emulation of a sound card in a different way and may allow a microphone. (I don't know if it does or not)

Bob Comer - Microsoft MVP Virtual Machine
    • Marked as answer by JoeyC2 Friday, January 15, 2010 1:02 AM
    Thursday, January 14, 2010 5:47 PM
  • Your virtual machine that is running Winamp doesn't have access to your microphone at all, so there's no way for it to transmit your announcements.

• Marked as answer by JoeyC2 Friday, January 15, 2010 4:13 PM
    Thursday, January 14, 2010 8:42 PM

All replies

• XP Mode doesn't support mapping a host microphone to the virtual machine.  You may be able to do what you want with a USB microphone...

You might want to ask the other question in the winamp support site. http://www.winamp.com/help/Support

Getting a new sound card will not help the XP Mode microphone issue.

Thursday, January 14, 2010 4:15 PM
  • Thanks, Bob.  Just want to make sure you are understanding what I am trying to do.  My Winamp Player and Shoutcast Plug-in were downloaded in the XP Mode.  It is in the XP Mode that I connect to the server and play my music.  The music goes thru to the server just fine (I did a sound check yesterday.)  So, are you saying that while I am in the XP Mode doing everything else, I am unable to have XP Mode recognize a microphone? 
    A USB mic won't work, as those cannot be used for Internet Broacasting.

I started in the Winamp forum, and someone suggested I also post here, but thanks.  I will repost there after hearing back from you.  Thanks again.

Thursday, January 14, 2010 4:45 PM
  • >I am in the XP Mode doing everything else, I am unable to have XP Mode recognize a microphone?

Exactly, there's just no facility in Windows Virtual PC to do that.

You might want to try one of the other Virtual Machine solutions like VMWare Player, it does emulation of a sound card in a different way and may allow a microphone. (I don't know if it does or not)

• Marked as answer by JoeyC2 Friday, January 15, 2010 1:02 AM
    Thursday, January 14, 2010 5:47 PM
  • Sorry, Bob, but I am still confused.  If I am able to transmit the music out over the Internet thru the XP Mode, how is it that I cannot use a microphone to announce the songs?
    Thursday, January 14, 2010 6:52 PM
  • You're using a virtual machine.  Essentially, the XP Mode VM does not have the virtual "hardware" for a microphone.  Virtual machines have a completely different set of virtual hardware than your physical PC does.
    Thursday, January 14, 2010 7:24 PM
  • Your virtual machine that is running Winamp doesn't have access to your microphone at all, so there's no way for it to transmit your announcements.

• Marked as answer by JoeyC2 Friday, January 15, 2010 4:13 PM
    Thursday, January 14, 2010 8:42 PM
  • XP Mode doesn't support mapping a host microphone to the virtual machine.  You may be able to do what you want with a USB microphone...

Bob,

I have Sonar recording software that I have used on XP for a few years. When I bought my Win7 laptop I installed Sonar on XP mode, but I cant get the Mic to work. It is a Samson C01U USB mic. Do you have any ideas?

Thanks,

Brandon

Thursday, January 27, 2011 12:20 AM
  • No, I really don't have any advice as I don't have a USB mic to test,
    sorry.

Thursday, January 27, 2011 6:18 PM