none
Trust this PC, HOW? RRS feed

• Question

• It has been several days and I still cannot access many features of my desktop and am forced to use my laptop with Windows 7 .What is the reason for the "trust this PC" issue? I have done everything I can to get Widows 8 up and running. I still cannot get onto many websites I use often. My telephone number has changed since I last updated my Microsoft account. I followed the instructions to the letter. I deleted my security information six times so far. I listed my other email accounts and even put my phone number as instructed. There are many programs I cannot use because I cannot get online or sync my information. I prefer Google Chrome but cannot use it. What now? I am seriously considering uninstalling Windows 8. I have discussed this with others having the same issues so I know my problem is not a below average IQ.

Mammanannystory

Sunday, November 4, 2012 12:18 AM

Answers

• Trust this PC, HOW?

How to manage your Windows Account:

If you have mades changes to your personal master data, i.e. a phone number, you can change that as well.

Go here http://account.live.com and login to your account - i.e. the same user name and password you used in Windows 8 for connecting to the Windows cloud - and obtaining the "Trust this PC" prompt under the connected user. Update i.e. the phone number.

Trust

Guess you're reffering to the message prompt "Trust this PC", i.e. at WinKey + C > Settings > Change PC Settings > Users > Trust this PC.

You simply click the link ... goto WinKey + C > Settings > Change PC Settings > Users > Trust this PC and click Trust this PC.

When you create a new trust relationship between your computer and the Windows cloud - i.e. you also do that when you break the relationship and then recreate it again (so do not join and disjoin your computer to the cloud too much - unless you don't mind to transact the entire joining process again including to certify the new trust relationship (another unique encrypted ticket). Trust this PC Means that you will allow that computer to read data from your personal account. I.e. you could use your friends computer and decide to trust that computer - if you did you would allow his computer to sync your data onto its disks depending on your setup. So that's the great thing - you can use other computers - but not sync automatically unless you trust that computer (i.e. you own it).

BTW Changing phone numbers and joining a central computer system like the cloud works the same at Goolges, Apples ... if not, those services are not as safe (syncing to any computer? Not Windows) or flexible (you can actually login to differnet computers including at work using your account - and use the apps seamlessly).

Google Chrome: Goto to Googles website like you did earlier - if you have used Google Chrome before? ... and download it. Google Chrome have been finalized for Windows 8 since around this summer.

P.s. Adobe Flash is preinstalled - and auto-updated by Microsoft/Adobe with Windows Update. You cannot change or override that (nor should you).

Monday, November 5, 2012 5:24 AM

All replies

• Trust this PC, HOW?

How to manage your Windows Account:

If you have mades changes to your personal master data, i.e. a phone number, you can change that as well.

Go here http://account.live.com and login to your account - i.e. the same user name and password you used in Windows 8 for connecting to the Windows cloud - and obtaining the "Trust this PC" prompt under the connected user. Update i.e. the phone number.

Trust

Guess you're reffering to the message prompt "Trust this PC", i.e. at WinKey + C > Settings > Change PC Settings > Users > Trust this PC.

You simply click the link ... goto WinKey + C > Settings > Change PC Settings > Users > Trust this PC and click Trust this PC.

When you create a new trust relationship between your computer and the Windows cloud - i.e. you also do that when you break the relationship and then recreate it again (so do not join and disjoin your computer to the cloud too much - unless you don't mind to transact the entire joining process again including to certify the new trust relationship (another unique encrypted ticket). Trust this PC Means that you will allow that computer to read data from your personal account. I.e. you could use your friends computer and decide to trust that computer - if you did you would allow his computer to sync your data onto its disks depending on your setup. So that's the great thing - you can use other computers - but not sync automatically unless you trust that computer (i.e. you own it).

BTW Changing phone numbers and joining a central computer system like the cloud works the same at Goolges, Apples ... if not, those services are not as safe (syncing to any computer? Not Windows) or flexible (you can actually login to differnet computers including at work using your account - and use the apps seamlessly).

Google Chrome: Goto to Googles website like you did earlier - if you have used Google Chrome before? ... and download it. Google Chrome have been finalized for Windows 8 since around this summer.

P.s. Adobe Flash is preinstalled - and auto-updated by Microsoft/Adobe with Windows Update. You cannot change or override that (nor should you).

Monday, November 5, 2012 5:24 AM
  • I am having the same problem with my Windows 8 PC. The answer above simply tells me how to get back to the wall that I'm already banging my head against. I know how to get to the Trust This PC setting and how to log into the website to initiate the process. The problem is the broken confirmation process.

I too had to update my information on my Microsoft account because I hadn't updated it in almost 10 years. I added my current information, including my new Cell phone information - which finally appears on the Confirmation screen when I log in to initiate the Trust process.

The page appears, says "Confirm (XXX) XXX-XXXX" and shows the correct number for my cell, and below it says "To help us make sure this is you, enter the security code we sent to your phone."    Seriously? 'To help us make sure this is you' ???

If it wasn't me, then at this point whoever is looking at this message has already entered my account password and has access to change all of my information anyway, it seems a little pointless to me to require this useless extra code confirmation to keep them from syncing automatically what they already have access to with the password they would have already had to have entered to get here in the first place.

But, I digress... Regardless that the correct phone number is listed, I NEVER receive any type of notification to my phone. No email, call, or text message. So, obviously I then try selecting the option for "I didn't get the code" which only takes me to another screen that gives me 3 options which are all 10-year old contact options for phone and email numbers and addresses that are no longer valid. Utterly useless option. Why would they not put an option to resend the message to the default number? And while they're at it, give me the option to specify whether to send it via SMS, carrier email, or simply to call the number??

I'm sorry for the tone of this message, I am just growing so tired of these needlessly complex security hurtles that seem to be getting more and more ridiculous with each new version of Windows. I can see where such things may be useful in some corporate environments - but I'd be willing to bet that only 1% of Windows users outside of Microsoft employees themselves actually make use of, or even care about, them. The vast majority of users I would guess are more likely to see it the way I do, as frustrating, irritating, bothersome, or infuriating, depending on how much time is wasted on trying to figure it out or resolve it.

Is there no other way to obtain this ridiculous code other than the automated attempt made by the system to send it when I log in?

Network systems and Server 2003 systems administrator.

Monday, January 14, 2013 5:48 PM
  • I agree with the above my phone and email details are clearly right but no message. This is Awfull as there is no help on MS site and no other options on the specific sign in page.

Friday, September 13, 2013 2:46 PM
  • Hi.  Did you ever receive the code?  I am having the same problem and going round in circles.  I have phoned, emailed and live chatted with Microsoft but no one seem able to understand what I am on about....I said it's your company so you should.  Please help

Tuesday, March 4, 2014 2:52 PM
  • OK, so what Microsoft doesn't do is tell you what to do when the process above doesn't work.   The reason most people are asking this question is because the above answer was already tried and failed.  When I log into my computer, I follow the above and it sends me to my account. I log in. I don't get asked anything. I don't get a message. I can do whatever I like to my account. But it will not allow my PC to be trusted. So I tried the Action Center. When I click Trust this PC from there, it sends me to a website that says go to the microsoft's trust center.  When I go to the link provided on that, it just repeats the same message.   This all started after I shut down once.  I came up with a temporary profile account.   I was able to get the temporary profile account problem fixed by using regedit to point to my account profile instead of the temp account.   (There are many websites that correctly show you how to fix this.  And Microsoft's suggested solution does not work for that problem.)    But I have not been able to get this PC trusted. Keep in mind that it has been a trusted PC for months prior to this problem. I have more than one PC and that has not problem.

The question for Microsoft -- what happens when the Trust process isn't working?   At one point in time you could see your trusted devices.  If there was a problem, you could remove that device and start again.   Now you have to delete all of them from your trust.   I don't want to create more problems, so I don't want to push that button.   

Help

Wednesday, June 18, 2014 3:57 PM