none
Windows 7: Changing drive names on external drives

Question

• How does one change the names of external drives in windows 7?
    :
    : I renamed the drives in computer management, and they appear with the new
    : names whenever I bring up computer manaagement.  But elsewhere, such as
    : Computer in the start menu they appear with the default "pendrive".
    :
    : I made the changes (in computer management) logged in with administrator priveleges.
    Saturday, November 21, 2009 1:19 AM

Answers

• Can you change the letter of your internal hard drives or other external drives normally?

Since there is no change after changing the security tab to show full access of the drive, I suggest scanning the whole computer and your external drives to ensure both of them are clean.

You can also download and run the following tool to scan your computer

=====================================

1.       Download freeware Anti-Malware Remover from

http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam.php 

2.      After downloading it, please double-click the downloaded file to install it.

3.      After installing it, please launch it to scan and remove Trojan or viruses.

It there are infected files detected on your computer, let’s delete system volume information and recycler information to resolve the issue.

Delete system volume information

Please note: System volume information can be removed after disabling System Restore

Remove recycler folder

After that, if the issue persists, if there aren’t any important files on the external hard disk, I suggest formatting the hard disk completely to resolve the issue.

Judy :)
    Monday, November 23, 2009 6:46 AM

All replies

• Hi Bob7345,

When you renamed your drive in the Disk Management window, did you pull up the "Properties" window and change the drive's name under the "General" tab?...  also did you make sure you allowed yourself Full Access in the "Security" tab (Edit)?

That's all I ever do and tried it just now and it works fine for me.  I can the the changes right away everywhere else after applying the changes!

I run Win7 Ult x64 RTM (may be relevant to the issue).

Please advise,

Remi
    Saturday, November 21, 2009 2:09 AM
  • Thanks your help Taildrag.

Going to the general tab on properties the name of the drive shown is the changed name!  I changed the security tab to show full access.  But when I bring up windows explorer or hover over computer in the start menu the drives show PENDRIVE. 

I am running Win7 Home Premium x64.

I know this is no big deal but hope someone has some ideas.  (Bill Gates are you listening?)

Don't be confused by a different user name -- I switched from bob7345.

Thank you. 

Saturday, November 21, 2009 5:31 PM
  • Hi Bob,

i find this issue a little strange.
    I wonder if it has to do with the UAC and/or system protection!... The only drive that is protected on my pc is drive "C", the rest of them (internal and external) are not and i can change the name at any time and it's reflected everywhere in the system!
    Also, all of my USB drives are optimized for quick removal (no caching).

Now, if "PENDRIVE" is the name of the vendor or built into the firware, you'll still see that name in the Devices & Printers but also see the name you gave it (the new name is like an overlay as the system sees it).

It has to be a protection issue i think but i could be wrong on this one :(

Best of luck,
    Remi
    Saturday, November 21, 2009 9:19 PM
  • If you review what little there is on the internet it is clear that "PENDRIVE" is the default name assigned to drives by Windows 7.
    Saturday, November 21, 2009 10:29 PM
  • Can you change the letter of your internal hard drives or other external drives normally?

Since there is no change after changing the security tab to show full access of the drive, I suggest scanning the whole computer and your external drives to ensure both of them are clean.

You can also download and run the following tool to scan your computer

=====================================

1.       Download freeware Anti-Malware Remover from

http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam.php 

2.      After downloading it, please double-click the downloaded file to install it.

3.      After installing it, please launch it to scan and remove Trojan or viruses.

It there are infected files detected on your computer, let’s delete system volume information and recycler information to resolve the issue.

Delete system volume information

Please note: System volume information can be removed after disabling System Restore

Remove recycler folder

After that, if the issue persists, if there aren’t any important files on the external hard disk, I suggest formatting the hard disk completely to resolve the issue.

Judy :)
    Monday, November 23, 2009 6:46 AM
  • If you review what little there is on the internet it is clear that "PENDRIVE" is the default name assigned to drives by Windows 7.

Hi,  I think Judy has a valid point here because Windows 7 did not assign any of my drives (on 4 pc's) the name PENDRIVE. 

If that name was assigned by the company who made the drive and/or if the drive IS a PENDRIVE just like a Thumbdrive or anything else then you may have a security issue or full access to that drive was not granted to your user account!

Good homework Judy,

Good luck bob5602.
    Tuesday, November 24, 2009 1:33 AM