none
Wireless peer to peer windows 10 remote desktop RRS feed

• Question

• I am trying to set up 2 pcs which need to be mobile. I want one to control the other with Remote Desktop. Both wireless, one has an ethernet plug. Both Windows 10 pro. Any help would be most appreciated. 
    Thursday, March 1, 2018 10:38 PM

All replies

• I am trying to set up 2 pcs which need to be mobile. I want one to control the other with Remote Desktop. Both wireless, one has an ethernet plug. Both Windows 10 pro. Any help would be most appreciated. 

Windows 10 has a new feature which does that called Mobile Hotspot.  Supposedly Bluetooth is required which presumably means that BTPAN will be automated.   Otherwise you could try using HostedNetwork  for creating a  SoftAP implementing Virtual Wi-Fi.  What is unclear to me from the remaining description though is if you would be allowed to use your Ethernet connection for ICS too.  Here's the most hopeful statement there is there for you

<quote>

The shared connection can be an Ethernet, wireless LAN, or wireless WAN connection.

</quote>

But then they go on to confuse that simple scenario with a bunch of caveats.  The best thing to do would be to "try it and see".

Good luck

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Friday, March 2, 2018 2:41 AM
  •   I am not sure that mobile hotspot, hosted network or ICS would help. They are designed to let a second device share an Internet connection. Do they allow communication between the two devices? It probably works, but I can't really test it without turning my wifi router off, and that affects too many other things.

All remote desktop requires is a network connection between the devices. If they were Ethernet all you would need is a crossover cable. Any sort of wireless access point would do the trick.

Bill

Friday, March 2, 2018 6:13 AM
  • Hi,

Please feel free to drop us a note if there is any result. 

Bests,

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, April 6, 2018 12:13 PM