none
Alt + Shift + Arrow up/down (outlinemovedown or outlinemoveup) RRS feed

• Question

• I'm a huge fan of the keyboard shortcut "Alt + Shift + Arrow up/down", which can re-order any outline be it in Word or OneNote.

Lately, I've experienced a super annoying "feature": I can reorder any numbered list using the shortcut "Alt + Shift + Arrow up/down", but when I let go of the keyboard keys, the line I just re-ordered will suddenly be replace of a SYMBOL.

These symbols can be

1. A black smiley
    2. A black square with a white dot inside
    3. A dash
    4. Etc.

And each time, I need to do a CTRL + Z in order to restore the content of the sentences I just re-ordered.

If I place my cursor on a blank line, not connected to any numbered list and type "Alt + Shift + Arrow up/down", it will produce a black smiley.

I've spent many hours on Google to try and learn how I can restore. It is as though the shortcut "Alt + Shift + Arrow up/down" serves 2 different purposes at the same time:

1. Re-ordering numbered list
    2. Inserting symbols

Help please, or I will have to reinstall my laptop, and this seems a bit drastic, however I'm on the verge of doing it :(

Monday, June 15, 2020 10:27 AM

All replies

• perhaps you should ask this in the office forum?
    Monday, June 15, 2020 12:20 PM
  • Thanks - but it’s an OS-wide issue, as far as I can see.
    Monday, June 15, 2020 12:54 PM
  • so "Alt + Shift + Arrow up/down" even in notepad pastes a symbol?
    do you perhaps use the cursor on the numpad?
    then when "Num Lock" is disabled you are in fact entering "
    Alt + Shift + 8" or "Alt + Shift + 2",
    which does indeed result in symbols: the ASCII codes for 2 and 8: ALT+NUMPAD ASCII Key Combos: The α and Ω of Creating Obscure Passwords

• Edited by EckiS Monday, June 15, 2020 2:19 PM
    Monday, June 15, 2020 2:18 PM
  • Hi Eckis

I cannot reproduce in Notepad.

I don't use the numpad, I use the designated arrow keys (between letters and numbers pad), though the symptoms you mention appears to be my "sickness" spot on.

Maybe also remember, that I can in fact manage to reorder any numbered list, but when I take my hands OFF the keyboard, then the text line I just re-ordered then magically "converts" into a symbol.

What can I do?

Monday, June 15, 2020 2:30 PM
  • that ascii codes are only converted after you release the buttons is by design

when you cannot reproduce in notepad: it seems to be application specific and you should ask in a forum dedicated to the app.
    Other idea would be: do you have a gaming keyboard with custom layouts?

Monday, June 15, 2020 3:16 PM
  • Thanks again EckiS - true, I cannot re-produce in Notepad, and only in Office only, but I would assume this is a OS wide setting (and one that I didn’t ask for, even though I might have switched it on somehow). One thing I’m sure of: I dind’t tamper with any MS Office settings when that started happening.

I have no gaming keyboard, and as far asI know I haven’t made custom layouts deliberately- I’m running on a MS Surface keyboard.

Any help is truly appreciated, thank you so far.

Tuesday, June 16, 2020 8:30 PM
  • Anything update?

"Windows 10 Installation, Setup, and Deployment" forum will be migrating to a new home on Microsoft Q&A (Preview)!
    We invite you to post new questions in the "Windows 10 Installation, Setup, and Deployment" forum’s new home on Microsoft Q&A (Preview)!
    For more information, please refer to the sticky post.

Thursday, July 9, 2020 2:01 PM
  • Hi again, just wanted to inform about “the end”. After having repaired, uninstalled Office with no result, I finally bit the bullet, and did a complete OS reinstall. That worked. Thanks.
    Friday, July 24, 2020 3:48 PM
  • Hi again. Error is back. I did not do anything. Error was gone for the first hour, then I went away for the weekend, and switched off my laptop. Monday morning, the error is back.

I did notice a Win 10 Notification on how to switch keyboard layout from US to DK (or vice versa), as I'm Danish running on a US language Win10 OS, were using the same sequence of shortcut keys, but disabling this global shortcut to switch keyboard layout and then rebooting did not help....

I then started my OneNote from web, and tried to re-order my numbered list, but even though I marked a specific line within the text, the keyboard shortcut re-ordered the SECTIONS, and not the numbered list.

I think this is more Windows 10 related than Office 2019 related. 

Monday, July 27, 2020 6:43 AM