none
Upgrading windows vista HP 64 bit to windows ulitimate 64 bit

Question

• Hi,

I'am trying to ugrade windows vista 64 bit home premium to windows 7 ulitimate.

I chose the x64 option. but it still says.

the following issues are preventing Windows from upgrading. Cancel the upgrade, complete each task, and then restart the upgrade to continue.

You can’t upgrade 64-bit Windows to a 32-bit version of Windows. To upgrade, obtain a 64-bit version of the installation disc, or go online to see how to install Windows 7 and keep your files and settings.

32-bit Windows cannot be upgraded to a 64-bit version of Windows. To upgrade, obtain a 32-bit version of the Windows installation disc.

Greetz

Saturday, October 24, 2009 8:01 PM

Answers

• FYI - same thing here. The MSDN Disc 4618 I received in the mail today ...
    Could somebody please post a screenshot of an explorer window with the disk contents showing?  It might just be that the disk is a 32-bit install disk, with a 64-bit install disk ISO included on it, or vice-versa.  (That'd fit easy enough on a dual-layer disk, and would explain the behaviour described in this and similar threads.)

Anyways, as mentioned already downloading the actual RTM ISO and making an install disk from that should resolve the problem, and if the disk involved is an MSDN (or Technet) mailout disk with both patform installs on it, then downloading the 64-bit ISO is the ONLY way to be able to perform a 64-bit upgrade install.
    Wednesday, October 28, 2009 3:47 AM

All replies

• Me too (although mine is Ultimate). You are not alone...
    Saturday, October 24, 2009 8:55 PM
  • Me too (although mine is Ultimate). You are not alone...
    Pff, i don't know what to do ..
    Saturday, October 24, 2009 9:38 PM
  • Hi,

Based on my known, I haven't see a a version of Windows 7 upgrade disc that includes both the 32-bit and 64-bit editions. Does this disc obtained from an official channel?

Thanks.
    Monday, October 26, 2009 3:39 AM
  • Hi,

Based on my known, I haven't see a a version of Windows 7 upgrade disc that includes both the 32-bit and 64-bit editions. Does this disc obtained from an official channel?

Thanks.

Other people are reporting that the disk they have received in an MSDN mailout includes both platform installations on the one disk, and prompts them for a choice of which to install.

I have a 'Technet direct' subscription, so I can't check the mailout media to confirm.  Others with mailout subscriptions may care to comment?
    Monday, October 26, 2009 3:46 AM
  • I got my upgrades through the Microsoft Store, and there were separate ISO's for 32-bit and 64-bit. The 32-bit was about 2.2GB, and the 64-bit 3GB - which is probably why there isn't a unified disk - that's more than a single DVD can hold.

You can cross architectures, you just can't do it the Microsoft recommended way. The trouble is that the 64-bit installer won't run on 32-bit Windows. Fine - boot the disk, and run it that way.

Back up the data, blow away the disk, and use either the double install method, or the registry patch method. You will have a clean install of Windows running on the correct architecture.
    Monday, October 26, 2009 4:28 AM
  • Hi,

I will contact my colleagues to confirm this issue.

I will let you know when I get response.

Thanks.

Monday, October 26, 2009 8:26 AM
  • Hi,

I will contact my colleagues to confirm this issue.

I will let you know when I get response.

Thanks.

Thanks Robinson,

Just for info this is what the disc looks like (ie serial number/disk id/etc)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v367/miketrill/IMG_0020.jpg

Monday, October 26, 2009 9:13 PM
  • Hi Mike,

Thank you.

I also noticed another similar thread:Vista x64 upgrade to 7 - installer thinks I've asked for x86, but I didn't

Now I suspect this issue is cuased by this disk. Could you please download the ISO file from MSDN to test this problem?

At same time, I will report this issue to check it.

Thanks.
    Tuesday, October 27, 2009 10:26 AM
  • FYI - same thing here. The MSDN Disc 4618 I received in the mail today tells me "You can’t upgrade 64-bit Windows to a 32-bit version of Windows" (and vice versa) when I try to upgrade an AMD64 CPU running Vista Ultimate to Windows 7 Ultimate.

-glenn-
    Tuesday, October 27, 2009 10:50 PM
  • FYI - same thing here. The MSDN Disc 4618 I received in the mail today ...
    Could somebody please post a screenshot of an explorer window with the disk contents showing?  It might just be that the disk is a 32-bit install disk, with a 64-bit install disk ISO included on it, or vice-versa.  (That'd fit easy enough on a dual-layer disk, and would explain the behaviour described in this and similar threads.)

Anyways, as mentioned already downloading the actual RTM ISO and making an install disk from that should resolve the problem, and if the disk involved is an MSDN (or Technet) mailout disk with both patform installs on it, then downloading the 64-bit ISO is the ONLY way to be able to perform a 64-bit upgrade install.
    Wednesday, October 28, 2009 3:47 AM
  • The same thing happens to me!

I get this message:
    The following issues are preventing Windows from upgrading. Cancel the upgrade, complete each task, and then restart the upgrade to continue.

• You can’t upgrade 64-bit Windows to a 32-bit version of Windows. To upgrade, obtain a 64-bit version of the installation disc, or go online to see how to install Windows 7 and keep your files and settings.

• 32-bit Windows cannot be upgraded to a 64-bit version of Windows. To upgrade, obtain a 32-bit version of the Windows installation disc.

Upgrading Windows will affect the following features:

• Windows Mail is no longer included in Windows; however your e-mail files and settings will still be available after the upgrade. To send and receive e-mail you will need to install a new e-mail program. You can get e-mail programs from other software manufacturers or from the Microsoft website. 
    Sunday, November 08, 2009 7:17 PM