none
Windows 7 End of Support - Where can I download all of the Windows Updates for individual download to save for future re-installs? RRS feed

• Question

• I have several Windows 7 OEM Installation CD's.  Microsoft is about to stop supporting Windows 7 in January of 2020.  I want to download (and save to disc), each and all individual Service Packs, and all subsequent updates, etc..., so that I can install them in the future (after future hardware failures and reloads). Where can I download and save to disc all of these updates?  Installing updates from Windows Update automatically adds the updates to the OS, but I want to keep them for backups, forever.  Can you help me out with a link or a suggestion on how to find such a URL?  Thanks in advance!  Sincerely, James 
    Tuesday, September 24, 2019 5:00 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hi,

You could find the Windows 7 update history below. It includes the security updates for each month

Windows 7 SP1 and Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1 update history

https://support.microsoft.com/en-sg/help/4009469/windows-7-sp1-windows-server-2008-r2-sp1-update-history

You could search the KB and download it from Microsoft Update Catalog website.

https://catalog.update.microsoft.com/v7/site/Home.aspx

Download SP1 package from the link below.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-sg/help/15090/windows-7-install-service-pack-1-sp1

Regards,

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, September 24, 2019 6:10 AM
  • One can download all the OS data from Update Catalog,or Microsoft/TechNet Security web,but its a long haul...Best bet,get a slave HD,even a USB flash drive,once installed,in run type: diskmgmt.msc in msc,locate the drive,delete partition/create one/format once done,L.click on it,go up to Actions/All/Make active/close out msc..Now you can transfer any/all OS data to new drive,& user data can be transfer also,actually TechNet shows this as a good way to save user account data.However,transfer,click & drag,moves the user account to a new folder you created,once moved to new,& moved to a cd,move back the data to C: user account....
    Wednesday, September 25, 2019 1:49 AM
  • What's really the point of storing updates, that will be obsolete. Re-applying them to the Windows 7 machines won't protect the machines from new and emerging threats.

Obinna C. Onwusobalu ~ MCSA MCTS MCITP

It's all fun and games until someone divides by zero.

windowshelper.home.blog

Friday, September 27, 2019 9:48 PM
  • Thank you so very much!  I appreciate your help.  Excellent answers!  

James P.

Thursday, October 3, 2019 12:41 AM
  • Great information and excellent answers.  Thank you!!

James P.

Thursday, October 3, 2019 12:41 AM
  • Windows 10, in my opinion, is not an Operating System, but only a GUI with big kid buttons attached (a joke).  Windows XP Professional, in my opinion, was the best OS that Microsoft ever created, but I'm now stuck with Windows 7 Professional, which is not an entirely bad OS.  When MS stops supporting Win7, I intend on using it until I expire.  When reloading in the future, I'll reload Win7 Pro and apply the downloaded/saved updates.  At least I'll have security fixes that apply up to that date (January 2020).  Although not an answer, thanks for the comment anyway.  

James P.

Thursday, October 3, 2019 12:50 AM
  • Hi,

Thank you for your update.

I'm glad it helped. It's my pleasure.

If any further help needed, please feel free to post back.

I am proposing previous helpful replies as "Answered". If the reply is helpful, please remember to mark it as answer which can help other community members who have same questions and find the helpful reply quickly.

Regards,

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, October 3, 2019 10:00 AM