Removing old SBS 2003 from SBS 2008 RRS feed

• Question

• Hello and Thank you for taking the time to read this.

I have inherited a SBS 2008 environment. The migration from SBS 2003 to SBS 2008 took place about 3 years ago.

After the migration it seems the SBS 2003 was just turned off and hasn't been turned on in 3 years. It seems the migration was never fully completed. Because the SBS 2003 was not removed from AD and exchange wasn't uninstalled, Is it ok for me to power this old SBS 2003 and finish the migration by demoting it and uninstalling exchange.

I'm just worried it may screw up the current AD and exchange.

I'm performing these steps because I will be migrating SBS 2008 to SBS 2011 next week, and i want to make sure everything is clean before proceeding with the new migration.

Please Advise.

Thank you

Tuesday, December 17, 2013 3:49 PM

Answers

• This condition is not for the faint of heart. Bringing back the 2003 SBS will cause your 2003 server to shutdown every hour and this makes it difficult.  There are solutions to this that can be found by searching on SBS migration and shutdown or 21 days or the like.

You may want to consider using asdsiedit to remove all references to the old server and the old exchange server, but this is also fraught with potential pain points. 

What I have not seen before is your exact condition.  Months/years between turning off the SBS 2003 and the possibility that it can be brought back.

Another possibility is to contact www.sbsmigration.com for assistance.  This is all they do and they offer you one on one assistance.

Lastly, consider a fresh install of SBS 2011.  Can usually be done over a week end depending on how many desktops there are.

Larry Struckmeyer[SBS-MVP] If your question is answered, please mark the response as the answer so that others can benefit.

• Proposed as answer by Tero Leskinen Friday, December 27, 2013 11:39 PM
    • Marked as answer by Andy Qi Tuesday, January 7, 2014 12:40 PM
    Wednesday, December 18, 2013 12:51 AM

All replies

• This condition is not for the faint of heart. Bringing back the 2003 SBS will cause your 2003 server to shutdown every hour and this makes it difficult.  There are solutions to this that can be found by searching on SBS migration and shutdown or 21 days or the like.

You may want to consider using asdsiedit to remove all references to the old server and the old exchange server, but this is also fraught with potential pain points. 

What I have not seen before is your exact condition.  Months/years between turning off the SBS 2003 and the possibility that it can be brought back.

Another possibility is to contact www.sbsmigration.com for assistance.  This is all they do and they offer you one on one assistance.

Lastly, consider a fresh install of SBS 2011.  Can usually be done over a week end depending on how many desktops there are.

Larry Struckmeyer[SBS-MVP] If your question is answered, please mark the response as the answer so that others can benefit.

• Proposed as answer by Tero Leskinen Friday, December 27, 2013 11:39 PM
    • Marked as answer by Andy Qi Tuesday, January 7, 2014 12:40 PM
    Wednesday, December 18, 2013 12:51 AM
  • Thanks, I went the metadata cleanup route.
    Saturday, December 28, 2013 6:10 AM