SharePoint 2013 How do I chart a list? RRS feed

• Question

• I'm doing some work with SharePoint 2013 

I've created a list and then I wanted to add a graph to a web part page. I can't seem to however get this working in SharePoint 2013. With the removal of the Chart web part in 2013 I'm supposed to be using Excel services. 

It doesn't seem to be possible to do this with Excel services though. (Other than the creating UDF and com components etc). 

Getting the data via REST works in Excel but doesn't work in Excel Services. 

What am I missing?
    Wednesday, December 5, 2012 11:11 AM

Answers

• You will find that if you used the Chart Web Web in 2010, you can still use it in 2013.  It doesn't show in the web parts area, but you can easily fix that.  Export the .webpart file from the web part galley in 2010, upload it to your site collection web part gallery in 2013.  You can now use it again!

Here is the xml for the web part:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
    <webParts>
      <webPart xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/WebPart/v3">
        <metaData>
          <type name="Microsoft.Office.Server.WebControls.ChartWebPart,microsoft.office.server.chart,Version=14.0.0.0,Culture=neutral,PublicKeyToken=71e9bce111e9429c" />
          <importErrorMessage>Cannot import Chart Web Part.</importErrorMessage>
        </metaData>
        <data>
          <properties>
            <property name="Title" type="string">Chart Web Part</property>
            <property name="Description" type="string">Helps you to visualize your data on SharePoint sites and portals.</property>
          </properties>
        </data>
      </webPart>
    </webParts>

Chris Givens CEO, Architecting Connected Systems Blog Twitter

• Marked as answer by Entan Ming Monday, December 17, 2012 2:57 AM
    Sunday, December 9, 2012 10:35 PM

All replies

• Hi,

See below link:

http://patrikluca.blogspot.com/2009/01/generating-charts-from-sharepoint-lists.html

Ahsan Kabir Please remember to click Mark as Answer and Vote as Helpful on posts that help you. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. http://www.aktechforum.blogspot.com/

Wednesday, December 5, 2012 2:44 PM
  • You will find that if you used the Chart Web Web in 2010, you can still use it in 2013.  It doesn't show in the web parts area, but you can easily fix that.  Export the .webpart file from the web part galley in 2010, upload it to your site collection web part gallery in 2013.  You can now use it again!

Here is the xml for the web part:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
    <webParts>
      <webPart xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/WebPart/v3">
        <metaData>
          <type name="Microsoft.Office.Server.WebControls.ChartWebPart,microsoft.office.server.chart,Version=14.0.0.0,Culture=neutral,PublicKeyToken=71e9bce111e9429c" />
          <importErrorMessage>Cannot import Chart Web Part.</importErrorMessage>
        </metaData>
        <data>
          <properties>
            <property name="Title" type="string">Chart Web Part</property>
            <property name="Description" type="string">Helps you to visualize your data on SharePoint sites and portals.</property>
          </properties>
        </data>
      </webPart>
    </webParts>

Chris Givens CEO, Architecting Connected Systems Blog Twitter

• Marked as answer by Entan Ming Monday, December 17, 2012 2:57 AM
    Sunday, December 9, 2012 10:35 PM
  • As Microsoft points out, the chart web part is discontinued in SharePoint 2013 (http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/sharepoint-help/discontinued-features-and-modified-functionality-in-microsoft-sharepoint-2013-HA102892827.aspx#_Toc339867839)  . The best solution in this case should be using a third party that provides chart web parts. When you google chart for SharePoint with support for 2013 the only result that comes out is www.nevron.com. There might be others as well however, you’ll just need to dig in deeper…

Thursday, January 24, 2013 5:41 PM
  • If you're open to other avenues, try using MS Report Builder 3.0 (a free download), combined with 2013 Reporting Services. 

Report Builder allows you to create a data source directly to a SharePoint site/list, and build a chart from the data. 

After installing Report Builder, simply use the Chart Wizard, Create a new dataset, (Next >>) Create a new data source connection (New...),  select "Use a connection embedded in my report") select Microsoft SharePoint List.   Use the URL to the site (e.g. http://sharepoint.mycompany.com/mysite/ as the connection string, then use the Query Designer select the list/columns that you want to build a chart from.  Once you select the list and the columns that you want to chart, you can then finish up with the chart wizard to determine which columns represent values, categories, x/y axis, pick chart themes, etc. 

Note: Don't forget to set the authentication Credentials on the data source, or you may receive an error.

When you have the chart the way you like it, simply save the Report Builder (.rdl) file to a Reporting-Services enabled 2013 site/document library. 

Go to the page that you want to display the chart on, and add a SQL Server Reporting Services Viewer web part (found under the "SQL Server Reporting" category)  Configure the web part to point to the .rdl file in your document library, and you should have a graph that is charting 'live' data from the list.

Wednesday, February 20, 2013 9:15 PM
  • Thank u its soo useful for me. now i can use chart webpart in sharePoint 2013.
    Wednesday, December 16, 2015 11:01 AM
  • @Chris,

do we have still have an option for charts Webpart in SharePoint 2013 Enterprise?

Wednesday, June 29, 2016 7:36 AM
  • Yes we do have .

Goto Site Settings > Web Designer Galleries> Web Parts

Search for chart webpart

Edit the Webpart details and place it in the respective Section to be accessed later on.

Monday, April 17, 2017 7:59 AM