none
Windows 7 login error - HRESULT Error 0x8007ffff

Question

• Recently I purchased three HP ProBook 4425s laptops. I setup the first one just the way I wanted and then captured the image using MDT 2010. After the image was captured successfully, I rebooted the laptop. After the laptop rebooted and re-setup the devices and then a new user wizard opens up. I create a user account that didn't previously exist on the laptop. Afterwards, it brings me to that new user's desktop. Then I went to the Computer Management Local Users screen; and then I reactivated the Administrator account. Then I logged off the computer and tried to login using that Administrator account. After clicking the login button, I get the following error:

Windows Security
    HRESULT Error 0x8007ffff

That's all the error shows and the only button you can click on is the OK button. There are no additional details. I know that I'm typing the correct password because when I type the wrong password, it tells me that the username and password are invalid.

Does anyone know how to fix this problem?
    Thursday, October 21, 2010 6:40 PM

Answers

• Problem solved - no reinstallation needed.

After months of trying to figure out this problem, someone posted a solution to my question on Experts-Exchange. This solution does not require a reinstallation of anything, if you are currently experiencing this problem. Just follow the steps below. If you're planning on capturing an image of an HP computer, I would recommend that you complete these steps BEFORE you capture the image. But chances are, you found this because it's too late and you are having this problem now.

Uninstall:
    -Device Access Manger for HP ProtectTools
    -Privacy Manager for HP ProtectTools
    -Drive Encryption for HP ProtectTools
    Reboot

Uninstal HP ProtectTools Security Manager
    Reboot

• Marked as answer by McIntyreM Wednesday, July 06, 2011 2:21 PM
    Wednesday, July 06, 2011 2:21 PM

All replies

• Hi, thank you for posting here.

Please try to create another administrator and login to see if the same issue occurs.

There is a similar case about the login error you can refer:

http://www.computing.net/answers/windows-7/hresult-error-logging-in-windows-7/3625.html

Please Note: Since the website is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Regards,

Leo   Huang

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Monday, October 25, 2010 6:19 AM
  • You either didn't ready my post well enough or you don't understand user accounts in Windows.  When you setup a new user account upon booting the computer for the first time, that account is automatically an administrator of the computer.  That is what I did, so yes, I was able to create another administrator account and login.  My question is about how to fix the built-in Administrator account, so that I can use it.  And yes, I already read the article that you refer to.  It was no use.  This seems to be a problem with the Microsoft Deployment Toolkit (MDT), not the HP laptop.

Monday, October 25, 2010 12:18 PM
  • Hi, about MDT problem, I suggest you asking MDT forum for further help:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/mdt/threads

The reason why we recommend posting appropriately is you will get the most qualified pool of respondents, and other partners who read the forums regularly can either share their knowledge or learn from your interaction with us.  Thank you for your understanding.

Regards,

Leo   Huang

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Tuesday, October 26, 2010 1:02 AM
  • If I knew there was a forum just for MDT, I would have posted my question there.  I also thought this more of a problem with the Windows OS and not with MDT.  It could be both.  So I believe that this forum is also appropriate.  Thank you.
    • Proposed as answer by Dave Stott Monday, March 21, 2011 11:59 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by Dave Stott Monday, March 21, 2011 11:59 AM
    Tuesday, October 26, 2010 9:21 PM
  • The documentation that Microsoft has is insufficient to help me with this problem.

However, since I posted this initial question, I have completely wiped out the system and conducted a clean install. This time I installed it my way, without using what came with the HP laptop. After everything was installed, I captured the image with MDT 2010. No problems this time. All accounts are working properly.

Friday, October 29, 2010 1:07 PM
  • Just in case anyone else comes across this issue, I was able to resolve this problem on an HP EliteBook by logging on as another admin user and deleting the affected user from the users in the HP protect tools utility.
    Monday, March 21, 2011 12:03 PM
  • Deleting the affected user does not good, especially if the affected user is the built-in Administrator account, which you can't delete.  Even if you rename that account, you still can't log in.  Also, another affected user is a domain admin on an Active Directory domain.  This domain admin can't log into this one computer, which leads me to believe that there may be a corrupt registry setting.  If that's the case, then we need to figure out what it is.
    Wednesday, July 06, 2011 1:15 PM

After months of trying to figure out this problem, someone posted a solution to my question on Experts-Exchange. This solution does not require a reinstallation of anything, if you are currently experiencing this problem. Just follow the steps below. If you're planning on capturing an image of an HP computer, I would recommend that you complete these steps BEFORE you capture the image. But chances are, you found this because it's too late and you are having this problem now.

Uninstall:
    Reboot

Reboot

• Marked as answer by McIntyreM Wednesday, July 06, 2011 2:21 PM
    Wednesday, July 06, 2011 2:21 PM
  • Dear friend,

I'm having the same problem right now, for the past 3 days I haven't been able to connect to my new laptop HP Pavilion dvd-3132nr I got back in january. The support tec people for hp could not solve the problem.

I use only the fingerprint to log in since I did not set up any password but keep getting the Windows Security Hresult 0x8007ffff message no matter what

I do have a cuestion, Once you install thos 3 items you recommend, reboot, unsitall HP protect security manager and reboot, Don't you have to resintall the deleted items?

Please let me know.

Friday, August 12, 2011 5:44 PM
  • This worked for me as well. I changed the users password on active directory, and hp tools would not let him log back in. Removal of software as administrator took care of the issue perfectly. Thanks!
    • Proposed as answer by Michael Dunfee Monday, August 29, 2011 10:25 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by McIntyreM Monday, August 29, 2011 10:30 PM
    Monday, August 29, 2011 10:24 PM
  • I didn't bother re-installing this software.  But yes, if you require the fingerprint utility, you would need to reinstall this.  If you don't have the original software, you should be able to re-download it from HP's website.  Just go to http://support.hp.com and type in the model of your computer.  Then select the OS that you're using.  It should then list the software that came with it and allow you to download it again.  At least, that is what I've been able to do with previous laptops.
    Monday, August 29, 2011 10:33 PM

Uninstall:
    Reboot

Reboot

Hello,

So how do you remove this? Is this an HP Program?

Thanks,

Peter

Tuesday, December 13, 2011 4:55 PM
  • All of these items were listed in the Programs and Features screen.  All I had to do was select each one and click Uninstall.  If you don't see them, then they're probably not installed.
    Tuesday, December 13, 2011 9:09 PM
  • All of the above ASSUMES one can actually get to a Windows Desktop using any of the accounts. In our case, the error shows up on every account.

That this has been going on this long is silly and utterly ridiculous.

Also it is ill advised to delete a user, as all the files created by that user will be scrapped also.

Thursday, February 16, 2012 9:48 PM
  • 1.PRESS F8 DURING BOOT.

2.GO TO SAFE MODE.

3.IN SAFE MODE GO TO DEVICE MANAGER.

4.DISABLE BIOMETRIC SENSORS IN DEVICE MANAGER.

5.REBOOT.

6.UNINSTALL VALIDITY SENSOR DRIVERS.

7.UNINSTALL HP SIMPLE PASS IDENTITY PROTECTION/DIGITAL PERSONA SOFTWARE.

8.RESTART.

9.REINSTALL THE PACKS YOU REMOVED ABOVE.

AND :smileyvery-happy:  ENJOY !!!!!!!!!

Sunday, March 11, 2012 1:29 AM
  • i got it fix.

first remove any password use password remove software

2nd at user logging screen choice the icon with finger print on it

3rd click on the :click here to enroll fingerprints

4th use the hp simplepass software and select administrator on the 2nd screen.

5th it will tell you to create a password click yes

6th setup a new password, don't need to scan your fingerprint just close the simplepass

7th then you can log in to the account using the password you just setup

8th when you try to log on a message will tell you that you windows password has been reset by an administrator choice i hace forgotten my old windows password.

9th the will clean the password in the hp simplepass software now you can log into you accounted and change password or make a new one anyway you like it.

good luck hope it work

Wednesday, April 04, 2012 5:43 PM
  • HP's biometrics software is causing the problem

solution that worked for me:

Boot into safemode and uninstall HP simple pass

Steven Kirwin

• Proposed as answer by kato syouji Sunday, August 11, 2013 9:47 AM
    Monday, June 04, 2012 8:25 PM
  • Hi I just had the same problem and looked it up on Microsofts website, All you have to do is go into another account and change the password on the effected account. It worked for me fine. Hope this helps, heres the link. 

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itprosecurity/thread/850a564c-e08c-4256-a128-8cd412504121

Saturday, September 29, 2012 1:52 AM
  • Perfect Answer : That worked for me ; Thanks
    Friday, May 16, 2014 9:19 AM
  • Please uninstall HP security Manager. I assume that this holds a previous SID associated to this user that might have changed, probably with an new AD account etc
    Wednesday, May 21, 2014 10:43 PM
  • Uninstalling HP ProtectTools worked for me too! One of our users changed his AD password and wasn't able to login after. He didn't use ProtectTools, so uninstalling it did the trick.
    Wednesday, July 30, 2014 9:03 AM
  • We had a HP desktop that encountered the same issue when trying to login to the domain user that uses the computer.  We tried to login multiple times after restarting, it seems like each time a new error was displayed:

- Windows Security: Bad Data
    - Windows Security: Incorrect Paramater
    - Windows Security: HRESULT 0x8007ffff

I was able to login to the computer as a different domain user and uninstall the programs listed in the answer.  This fixed the issue.  I figured I would post this with the other errors I received so that others who google it could find this solution.  

Thanks!

Monday, August 28, 2017 12:34 PM