none
Virtual PC 2007 & Windows 7 RRS feed

• Question

• Not wanting to Beta Test in a Production environment, I am wondering if Windows 7 Beta can be installed on Virtual PC 2007?  If so, should I just Choose "Other" from the Operating System list when it is presented in the Wizard?

Thanks! 
    Thursday, January 8, 2009 3:36 PM

Answers

• Best option is to use "Windows Vista", otherwise you could run into trobles with the sound card.
    Peter Forster, MVP Virtual Machine, Austria
    • Marked as answer by Anthony_Mann Thursday, January 8, 2009 5:42 PM
    Thursday, January 8, 2009 4:01 PM
    Answerer
  • I run the M3 build on a VM in VPC07 on Vista Ultimate x64 without any issues.
    - John
    Thursday, January 8, 2009 5:09 PM
    Answerer

All replies

•  It should be working on VPC2007, but officially not supported. However it doesn't matter what to choose from OS list.
    Microsoft MVP - Group Policy
    Thursday, January 8, 2009 3:57 PM
  • Best option is to use "Windows Vista", otherwise you could run into trobles with the sound card.
    Thursday, January 8, 2009 4:01 PM
    Answerer
  • I run the M3 build on a VM in VPC07 on Vista Ultimate x64 without any issues.
    - John
    Thursday, January 8, 2009 5:09 PM
    Answerer
  • I run the M3 32 bits under a Vista 32 bith with VPC without big problems, I've taken Vista as OS.

Laurent Gébeau
    Thursday, January 8, 2009 10:25 PM
    Answerer
  • I have no issues with VPC & W7
    Thursday, January 8, 2009 11:21 PM
  • Has anybody selected "other" for the new virtual machine OS and is working after installing additions? I get a FS_Rec.sys BSOD upon reboot of the additions.
    TroyW
    Friday, January 9, 2009 3:19 AM
  • I just installed Windows 7 under VPC 2007 and it installed fine, except for the audio driver.  It appears to recognize that there is a sound card, but it can't seem to find a driver for it.  I did use Windows Vista as the operating system.  Also, I couldn't install VM Additions.  Actually, it installed correctly, but after rebooting I got a blue screen of death and then it rebooted to repair mode and backed it out.  It's running fine, but no sound.  Any suggestions.
    Friday, January 9, 2009 6:17 AM
  • The sound card provided in Virtual PC was designed for Windows Vista only. The originally sound card in Virtual PC was an ISA-device, so Windows Vista was not able to detect this card at all. With Virtual PC 2007 Microsoft provided a sound card device driver which was written for Windows Vista only, so I do not think that there is right now a solution to get sound within a Virtual PC VM.
    Friday, January 9, 2009 6:22 AM
    Answerer
  • Friday, January 9, 2009 10:39 AM
  • I'm using Vista Home Premium SP2 as the host with all updates installed.  Ran Windows 7 update, but the only one offered was for Defender.
    Friday, January 9, 2009 6:18 PM
  • I was able to install Win7 on hyper-v with no issues. Looks like the synthetic drivers (for mouse integration , network card , etc ) work out of the box as I did not have to install Integration services.
    Friday, January 9, 2009 8:05 PM
  • I ran into the exact same issue after installing virtual machines additions - got the fs_rec.sys BSOD as well and had to do a system restore from prior to installing VM additions.  Running right now without the VM additions installed.  Has anyone else successfully installed the VM additions?
    • Proposed as answer by Aorr Friday, July 17, 2009 7:38 PM
    Tuesday, January 13, 2009 3:42 PM
  • 1. Install Virtual Machine Additions but don't run Setup.exe
    2. Open folder to view the VMAdditions files
    3. Browse to the Windows sub directory of the VMAdditions
    4. Right click on VirtualMAchineAdditions.MSI and select "Troubleshooot Compatibility"
    5. Select the Vista option and after a restart, the sound should work.

I'm running XPProSP3 32bit and Win7 Build 7000 32bit (no updates).

Good luck.

• Proposed as answer by Fay7666 Thursday, July 2, 2009 8:40 PM
    Tuesday, January 13, 2009 8:04 PM
  • Did not work for me - I right-clicked the VirtualMachinesAdditions.msi file and selected "troubleshoot compatibility", selected Vista and let it do its thing, but after rebooting, got the same BSOD as before.  XP Pro SP2, Virtual PC 2007 (not SP1), Win7 build 7000 32-bit.  Are you running VPC 2007 SP1?
    Tuesday, January 13, 2009 8:52 PM
  • Well, I ended up doing the following:

1.  Install Virtual PC 2007 SP1
    2.  Rerun the compatibility troubleshooter for virtualmachineadditions.msi, this time I selected Windows XP instead of Windows Vista

Upon reboot, no BSOD, booted into Windows 7 just fine.  Sound still does not work, have a mutimedia audio controller listed in device mangler, no updated drivers could be found when trying to update the drivers.  Will check windows update later today to see if I can find any updated drivers.  If not, no biggie.  The most important thing to me was that I was able to get virtual machine additions installed and working.
    • Edited by james2w Tuesday, January 13, 2009 10:23 PM
    Tuesday, January 13, 2009 9:59 PM
  • Works ok for me with 32 bit Win XP Pro SP3 and Virtual PC SP1, started with Vista as OS option when creating the image.
    After 20 or so tries given up to installing build 7000 in a real partition, it just doesn't work for me. Pity.
    PS with VM additions installed.
    Tuesday, January 13, 2009 10:17 PM
  • I had no problems with VM additions under host of 64-bit Vista SP1.  Installed just like any other VM machine.  Works 100%.
    Tuesday, January 13, 2009 10:27 PM
  • yes it worked i have just finsh installation and i take images please check this.
    and it is on virtual PC 2007 with Sp1
    http://abhishek-jangid.blogspot.com/
    abhishek
    Thursday, January 22, 2009 6:16 AM
  • I had the same BSOD when installing additions. It was caused by using an old version of Virtual PC 2007 SP1 - downloaded the latest version (needs to have 192 in the version number!), then install additions on your VPC and should work OK.

Monday, February 16, 2009 4:31 PM
  • This would be better as a Discussion, I used Other and it was very SLOW both Vista (Host) and 7 RC with Virtual Machine Add-Ons (Guest), both Spanish, CPU´s not to 100% but Slow (Both), Can´t put .exe on CD Slot, Half Spanish/Half English, No Sound (Says doesn´t have Sound Card), Bad Graphics (No Direct 3D or Open GL) and suddenly after changing resolution it turned 16 bit Graphics (Way to trouble to repair). Lotto Winning Letters: U N I N S T A L L.
    Thursday, July 2, 2009 8:38 PM
  • Me, but other issues like sound
    Thursday, July 2, 2009 8:40 PM
  • I know this is an old post but the problem continues for a lot of people and this is my findings: 

I was having the FS_Rec.sys BSOD continually on a Windows 7 Ultimate X86 Guest running in a Windows 7 Ultimate x64 Host on VP2007 SP1 after installing the additions upon reboot.

I checked the version of my running Virtual PC console (6.0.156.0) and it did not reflect the newer version I had just installed (6.0.192.0)! I right clicked on the pinned icon on my start menu and it was showing the old version even though when I went to C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Virtual PC\Virtual PC.exe to where it was pointing and checked, it was the newer version in that folder.

I then unpinned the old app from my start menu and restarted Virtual PC from the install folder checking that it was the new version in the console and now it was. Still had the problems with BSOD after installing the additions so next time I started Virtual PC and started my Windows 7 in it, instead of mounting the additions iso explorer was already pointing at in Virtual PC install folder, i backed explorer all the way out to "My Computer" where I could see the drives and then negotiated to the iso from there. For some reason, the old Virtual PC is cached by explorer even after an update of Virtual PC to the SP1. I was finally able to get the additions installed and all is well now.

I hope this helps some as I had been pulling out my hair and after lots of searching through Google saw others with the same problem and no resolution. Maybe it will work for others as it has for me. Note: Run the setup for additions in Vista compatibility mode for sound when setting it up.

• Proposed as answer by vinukmc Monday, November 15, 2010 5:01 PM
    Wednesday, November 4, 2009 7:36 PM
  • VPC2007SP1 doesn't install completely. there is supposed to be a folder for it, but there isn't on win7ult64sp1retail. this folder is REQUIRED to run xp mode, which is what I am trying for.apparently the xp mode is supposed to put itself in that folder VPC is supposed to make. but it's not there, XP mode says it successfully installed, and I have no xp mode icon and I cannot point VPC to any file that's a part of xp mode, so I am stuck. xp mode was my whole reason for buying 7 ultimate retail. I do development.

microsoft, please fix the bug in virtual PC and xp mode so it works right and installs right. I also have clients including people in my house who will probably have xp after it's been EOL'd. I have to provide them with workable solutions for myself and them.

Tuesday, December 10, 2013 8:25 AM