none
No IPv6 DNS (Stateless-DHCP) since Windows 10 Anniversary Update

Question

• I have noticed that on all my Windows 10 machines with the Anniversary Update, they no longer receive IPv6 DNS from DHCPv6 servers if network is configured for Stateless DHCP (Managed Flag unset, Other Flag Set in RA).  They receive IPv6 information correctly if the network is configured for Stateful DHCP.

Anyone finding the same?

Wednesday, August 17, 2016 4:16 AM

All replies

• It isn't just you.  DNS servers aren't picked up after the AU via either RDNSS (which never worked) or stateless DHCPv6.  Several others have made the same observation - something is clearly broken.

Rodney

Wednesday, August 17, 2016 8:34 PM
  • Hi laim,

Yes, we have collected some same cases, you are not alone.

To my knowledge, DNS servers is no longer able to run fine after the Anniversary Update installed on both of Recursive DNS Server and stateless DHCPv6, just like Rodney mentioned.

You can feedback your discovery to Microsoft by built-in Feedback app, maybe  this condition can be improved in future.

Sincere regards

Hi Rodney,

Thanks for your studying and sharing, we have collected the result you post.

Sincere regards

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, August 18, 2016 2:04 AM
  • FYI: Windows 10 Networking is severely flawed at least. Look at the sheer number of posts
    regarding Windows 10 Networking Problems.

Best regards, George

Thursday, August 18, 2016 3:17 PM
  • Also seeing the same issue on many W10 AU boxes. i've been able to work around the issue temporarily by creating a startup / awake task in task scheduler that runs ipconfig /renew6 along with permanant lease times. obviously this is a poor solution at best. Oddly enough I've noticed at times the affected systems appear to pick up ipv6 dns server but no ipv6 dhcpv6 addresses. MS really needs to fix this quick as this is a core networking function.
    Wednesday, August 24, 2016 8:18 PM
  • Hi laim,

Yes, we have collected some same cases, you are not alone.

To my knowledge, DNS servers is no longer able to run fine after the Anniversary Update installed on both of Recursive DNS Server and stateless DHCPv6, just like Rodney mentioned.

You can feedback your discovery to Microsoft by built-in Feedback app, maybe  this condition can be improved in future.

Sincere regards

Hi Rodney,

Thanks for your studying and sharing, we have collected the result you post.

Sincere regards

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

For what its worth, my hunch going thru all the wireshark captures and the fact that ipconfig /renew6 works is that:

1)  On network connect, Windows 10 AU sends out DHCPv6 Solicit message instead of Information-Request message, after receiving Stateless config (M=0/O=1) from RA message,  all the while thinking that it had sent out an Information-Request message.

2)  Because Windows 10 AU thinks that it sent out an Information-Request message, it expects a REPLY message with the information.

3)  The DHCPv6 server receives the Solicit message from the Windows 10 AU machines, and response with an advertise message.  Depends on what DHCPv6 server is used, and its configuration, the Advertise message may or may not contain DNS and other information.  But this is irrelevant due to 4) below.

4)  Windows 10 AU machines thinks that it sent a Information-Request message, so it is expecting a Reply message, which it never receives, and ignores the Advertise message that it received because it does not match what Windows 10 AU thinks it sent out.......

So, someone has made a tiny boo-boo when network first connects and tries to configure itself......

• Edited by laim Friday, September 09, 2016 8:01 AM
    Friday, September 09, 2016 7:01 AM
  • Thanks, we appreciate your study and sharing.

From my survey, there is a workaround can be tried, use the ipconfig /renew6 command to send a DHCPv6 information request (like  before Win7), then get the reply from the DHCPv6 server with the IPv6 DNS servers.

Also, make sure system is up to date, the latest build is 14393.187.

Regards

• Proposed as answer by collinssu Wednesday, September 21, 2016 8:07 AM
    Wednesday, September 21, 2016 7:57 AM
  • An error occurred while renewing interface Ethernet : The RPC server is unavailable.

If the RPC refers to Remote Procedure Call service in the computer manager, I find it's running all the time.

Saturday, October 01, 2016 5:11 AM
  • I've encountered this issue as well. IMO, it's inexcusable for Microsoft to be taking so long to fix this issue, let alone for breaking such a fundamental component in the first place.
    Thursday, October 06, 2016 8:49 PM
  • I have raised this issue up to the Product Group and we are investigating further. Can anyone that is encountering this issue please capture a network trace on the client and if possible, the DHCP server and send them to me? You can contact me directly at arudell at microsoft dot com.

[EDIT] Thank you to the folks who have reached out to me with the logs and data. At this time, the product group is investigating further to determine root cause. I will update this thread as soon as I have some more information.

Regards,

Adam Rudell | Windows Networking Beta | Microsoft Corporation

Tuesday, October 11, 2016 1:37 PM
  • Stateful DHCPv6 doesn't work either. Windows 10 1607 doesn't receive IPv6 address from Windows Server DHCPv6, but I can force it to obtain address with ipconfig /renew6 command.

Adam, I have sent you Wireshark captures from client and server.

Monday, October 17, 2016 3:49 PM
  • For the record, this problem still exists in version 1607, builds 14393.321 and 14955.1000.
    Thursday, October 27, 2016 6:01 PM
  • I'm not sure if its the same bug, probably related at the very least but Windows 10 also seems to be ignoring the RA flags set and is getting multiple v6 addresses.
    Thursday, October 27, 2016 8:39 PM
  • Can you elaborate? It's normal for there to be multiple ipv6 addresses.

For example:

IPv6 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 2001:x.y.z::1fba(Preferred)
       IPv6 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 2001:x.y.z:::2c98:f497:d0ed:106f(Preferred)
       Temporary IPv6 Address. . . . . . : 2001:x.y.z:::149e:9ffc:61d7:5c99(Deprecated)
       Temporary IPv6 Address. . . . . . : 2001:x.y.z:::38e5:f73a:c2f5:c6f(Deprecated)
       Temporary IPv6 Address. . . . . . : 2001:x.y.z:::c950:bc2c:20d9:3f68(Deprecated)
       Temporary IPv6 Address. . . . . . : 2001:x.y.z:::f9da:dfb:e3dc:7c04(Preferred)
       Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::2c98:f497:d0ed:106f%3(Preferred)

The top address is the dhcpv6 address.
    The second address is the global static address.
    The third-fifth addresses are deprecated temporary addresses.
    The sixth address is the current temporary address.
    The seventh address is the link local static address.

After disabling and enabling the interface, deprecated addresses will disappear, leaving four addresses.

Friday, October 28, 2016 10:52 PM
  • Hi,

this is exactly the same that I am seeing on the DNSMASQ running router. So the DHCP client of windows 10 is just sending wrong packets and does not implement stateless DHCPv6  correctly. Before theanniversary update and with windows 7 it worked.

DNSMASQ sends a Router Advertisement with the correct flags set (stateless DHCPv6). But DNSMASQ never gets any DHCPINFORMATION request.

It works if you explicitely execute  "ipconfig /renew6", then it also gets DNS servers.

I hope Microsoft solves this soon! I had to change my network config to also supply an IPv4 DNS server through conventional DHCP, but I would like to get rid of this as the network should be IPv6 only.

• Edited by ThetaPhi Sunday, November 06, 2016 10:11 AM
    Sunday, November 06, 2016 10:10 AM
  • I can confirm Windows 10 is not doing an dhcpv6 information request after a router advertisement with only O flag set.

But after a few minutes executing ipconfig /renew6 does send out a dhcpv6 information request and windows receives the reply and sets the ipv6 dns server.

Windows 10 pro

Sunday, November 13, 2016 6:40 PM
  • Will this be fixed like this year? I mean not properly working ipv6 in 2016... Sended bug report on feedback hub day or two after 1607 went "RTM" and still isnt fixed.
    Tuesday, November 15, 2016 11:53 AM
  • Microsoft, what's the problem? This has been broken for months. It's unacceptable for such a fundamental capability to be broken. I can confirm that this is still an issue on 14393.447 and 14971.1000.

Fix this please!

Friday, November 18, 2016 6:04 PM
  • Hi Adam,

Any news on this issue? Not working IPv6 on Windows 10 is really big problem.

Regards,

Jakub

Wednesday, November 23, 2016 2:50 PM
  • I wanted to provide an update to let you know that we have identified the root cause and are working on validating the code fix internally. Once initial validation is completed, the code change will make it's way into the WIP builds. Once that happens, I will let you know. It would be greatly appreciated once the build is available if folks from this thread would be able to test and validate if the code fix works in their environment.

Regards,

Wednesday, November 23, 2016 10:04 PM
  • That's great news. Please let us know when to expect an update with the fix. I will definitely provide feedback.
    Thursday, November 24, 2016 9:03 PM
  • I am running into this issue as well, looking forward to the fix.
    Friday, November 25, 2016 4:31 AM
  • Was just forwarded this article from Microsoft Support after opening a case. Good to know I'm not crazy or doing something wrong with my setup. I confirmed Win 10 pre anniversary update works perfect. Also anyone using server 2016, that has the issue as well. Less of a problem unless you want your server to have a DHCP address for some reason.

I'm concerned its been an issue since the summer though. Glad I threw my hat in the ring and said "me too". Maybe it will move things along. Are that few people using ipv6 that this just isn't priority?!

Thursday, December 01, 2016 8:29 PM
  • It's really strange. Microsoft, to their credit, has been very proactive with ipv6. They started using it years before any ISPs provided ipv6. My ISP offers native ipv6, but for the past several years, I've been using a tunnel from hurricane electric. People that don't know about ipv6 would probably be shocked to know how much traffic can be carried by ipv6 when it's available. I'm still scratching my head trying to figure out how dhcpv6 got broken, how it wasn't noticed and why it's taking so long to get it fixed. It makes no sense at all.

Friday, December 02, 2016 12:54 AM
  • Any ETA? 
    Tuesday, December 06, 2016 12:02 PM
  • Keep getting windows update that requier to reboot........ but still no fix for dhcp6 client......

Could you give us an ETA..... it's been almost 4 month since you guys broke the dhcp6 client on windows 10.

The least would be to give us an ETA.............

Have some respect.

Sunday, December 11, 2016 9:02 AM
  • The funny thing is that now the dhcpv4 client is broken too! (over wireless connections).

http://www.infoworld.com/article/3148845/microsoft-windows/windows-10-anniversary-update-bug-drops-wi-fi-connections.html

It's strange that microsoft cannot manage to get a core network service working as intended.

Sunday, December 11, 2016 3:08 PM
  • For what it's worth I re-enabled IPv6 on my WiFi card after the cumulative update last week and it pulled an IPV6 address right away. I had turned it off because it wasn't pulling an address and generating "IP address conflict detected" errors, but that appears to have been resolved by the latest CU.

Monday, December 12, 2016 2:27 PM
  • Yes, unfortunately there was a fault in a service that caused the issue with DHCP service. A reboot of the machine will fix the behavior and a code fix has been issued to prevent it from happening again.

Monday, December 12, 2016 5:58 PM
  • So the fix for RS2 should be in the WIP builds, if not, should be in the next few build releases.

In regards to the RS1 code fix, we are targeting Q1 of 2017 as long as testing/validation are successful. Once I have an exact date and KB article, I will update this thread again.

For temporary workaround, would recommend to configure a startup script to do ipconfig /renew6 on the machines.

Monday, December 12, 2016 6:06 PM
  • What configuration are folks using for the startup script?

I am using the following:

task scheduler / run as administrator

create task

user SYSTEM

check Hidden

Configure for Windows 10

Trigger at startup with delay task of 1 minute (delay is critical, will not work every startup on my 2 computers without some delay set)

Actions Start a program c:\windows\system32\ipconfig.exe /renew6 Ethernet (or Wi-Fi for computer using Wi-Fi)

Conditions uncheck all except check Start only if the following network connection is available: Any

When startup task is working (with delay = 1 minute configured), I run test-ipv6.com and get 10/10 score. Without startup task or with startup task having no delay, I run test-ipv6.com and get 9/10 score (last test fails, no ipv6 access for dns server).

Jim

• Edited by jimk0512 Sunday, December 18, 2016 4:13 PM fix typo
    Sunday, December 18, 2016 4:12 PM
  • The fix should be expected to release with the March 20107 CU for 1607 clients if everything goes well.

Monday, January 23, 2017 5:05 PM
  • Is there some update package to manually download to test this before March?
    Monday, February 20, 2017 11:23 AM
  • I am on the Insider Fast Ring and the latest release (Build 15042.0) installed yesterday still has this issue. :(

Andy

Saturday, February 25, 2017 9:51 AM
  • The fix should be expected to release with the March 20107 CU for 1607 clients if everything goes well.

So, Adam, is everything going well? Shall we expect the fix in March 2017 CU? When is that coming?
    Thursday, March 02, 2017 6:35 AM
  • Any word on a fix?
    Wednesday, March 08, 2017 6:37 AM
  • Er.. me too.

Confirmed similar DHCP problems on Windows 10 Mobile: v.1607, Build: 10.0.14393.693.

Running against dnsmasq/odhcp on LEDE 17.01.0 (OpenWRT fork), DHCPv6 is non-functional, and DHCPv4 is semi-functional (lease acquired, but client omits DHCPDISCOVER and jumps straight to DHCPREQUEST).

CU awaited with anticipation !
    Wednesday, March 08, 2017 7:50 PM
  • Can confirm, same problem with Cisco IOS router and DHCP server.
    Thursday, March 09, 2017 6:58 PM
  • Is this issue addressed with today's updates?
    Tuesday, March 14, 2017 7:53 PM

For the love of god Microsoft make IPv6 100% on par with IPv4. March 2017 update is an improvement but still lacking.

Scenario: Setup an network to use stateful IPv6 addressing only, no SLAAC. Configure IPv4 addressing with 60 minute leases, IPv6 with 30 minute leases. Add Surface Pro 4 (wifi) to network. Put Surface to sleep then wake it up a few hours later. Surface will pick up an IPv4 address but will be left with no IPv6 connectivity.

I haven't setup wireshark to do a pcap and honestly I shouldn't have to.

This is really getting old, even older apple mobile devices do ipv6 flawlessly.

Tuesday, March 14, 2017 10:49 PM
  • Stateless IPv6 and stateless DNS assignment via DHCPv6 does not work with March 2017 CU for 1607 clients:

After reboot of machine or after wakeup the client gets adress via RA and sends DHCPINFORMATION request (oh yeah, somehow it works), but somehow ignores the response. Instead it starts to flood (once every 20 seconds or like that) the network with DHCPSOLICIT requests all the time.

The whole thing is only working if you disconnect WLAN and reconnect again. Then it sends a correct DHCPINFORMATION request after the RA arrived and applies the DNS settings. But after reboot or when waking up from standby, nope.

Network config: Stateless DHCPv6 and RA by DNSMASQ on Linux.

• Edited by ThetaPhi Wednesday, March 15, 2017 11:14 AM
    Wednesday, March 15, 2017 7:44 AM
  • I can say that it's still NOT working after this month (march) updates:

Installed:

15-03-2017 - KB4013867 (Silverlight)
    15-03-2017 - KB4014329 (Adobe Flash)
    15-03-2017 - KB4013429 (Cumulative update, no network stuff mentioned)
    15-03-2017 - KB4013418 (Servicing stack update, NO details at all ...)

At Microsoft they sure know how to be NOT informative ...

Regards,

Phoenix3

Wednesday, March 15, 2017 12:51 PM
  • Seems fixed for me after march updates.
    Wednesday, March 15, 2017 2:29 PM
  • The problem seems fixed with the March updates after resetting and reconfiguring the ip stack using netsh:
    netsh int ip reset

This is not ideal, but has worked here. I just had to disable the stupid randomized identifiers afterwards...
    Sunday, March 26, 2017 10:29 PM
  • The problem seems fixed with the March updates after resetting and reconfiguring the ip stack using netsh:
    netsh int ip reset

This is not ideal, but has worked here. I just had to disable the stupid randomized identifiers afterwards...

What build is your system running?  I am on the Insider Fast Ring, and have 15063, even with the .3 Cumulative Update installed, and I still get an issue with my device getting DNS servers list (using pfSense 2.3.3, DNSResolver not DNSMasq with Stateless DHCP + RA).

[EDIT] After running the command from an elevated prompt, rebooting, I still am unable to get DNS server information.  Yes, I have provided feedback through the Feedback app.

• Edited by ChrisLynch06 Sunday, April 02, 2017 5:35 AM Adding more information.
    Sunday, April 02, 2017 5:31 AM
  • Hi Chris,

I was using Windows 10 1607 with the March Updates (exact version unknown). Since 2 days I have Creators Update (1703) and it is still working. So the reset of IP stack definitely helped.

The Router is a Debian Stable box (Linux sirius 4.9.0-0.bpo.2-686-pae #1 SMP Debian 4.9.13-1~bpo8+1 (2017-02-27) i686) with latest DNSMASQ (2.77 master branch, compiled from source to get latest DNSSEC fixes). It uses Stateless DHCPv6 and RA.

Thursday, April 13, 2017 8:16 AM
  • IT's BACK!  1703 works perfectly, 1709 is broken again and no previously known work arounds work!

No body cares about Cortana voice recognition.  FIX the NETWORK!  No excuses! 

J. Gary Brooks NMB Associates, Inc. Boulder, CO

Friday, December 15, 2017 5:33 PM