none
Windows 10: Programs don't open in the right virtual desktop RRS feed

• Question

• Many times, if I open a word document on one desktop (for example, Desktop 5), it will open on another desktop (for example: desktop 1). Incidentally, the word doc opens in the desktop with the most programs. Is there any way I can get the doc to open in the proper virtual desktop? Thanks
    Monday, September 21, 2015 10:03 AM

Answers

• OK.

let's say we would like to first open Word on Virtual Desktop 2 (assuming we have 3 VDs).

There are documents available on desktop, when we double click one of the documents, word application would first initialize, then open the documents that we double clicked, right?

What I mean is the initialize process would show on all 3 VDs, but the opened document would only be accessable through VD 2, and could be only shown on the taskbar of VD 2.

If then we would like to open Word in VD 3, and want Word to stay in VD 3, we need to close the application on VD 2. If not, the new opening action would bring you back to VD 2.

This is different from the Explorer.exe, Internet Explorer.

Regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, September 24, 2015 2:32 AM

All replies

• Hi asi14,

I tested the Virtual Desktop at my side, the instance would only stay on the virtual desktop that you opened the word, but the process is running on the system.

I mean when it starts, it will show on all Virtual desktop, but will only stay on taskbar which is on the virtual desktop you opened with.

Reference:

https://blogs.windows.com/bloggingwindows/2015/04/16/virtual-desktops-in-windows-10-the-power-of-windowsmultiplied/

Regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, September 23, 2015 8:10 AM
  • wait what does that mean?
    Wednesday, September 23, 2015 12:03 PM
  • OK.

let's say we would like to first open Word on Virtual Desktop 2 (assuming we have 3 VDs).

There are documents available on desktop, when we double click one of the documents, word application would first initialize, then open the documents that we double clicked, right?

What I mean is the initialize process would show on all 3 VDs, but the opened document would only be accessable through VD 2, and could be only shown on the taskbar of VD 2.

If then we would like to open Word in VD 3, and want Word to stay in VD 3, we need to close the application on VD 2. If not, the new opening action would bring you back to VD 2.

This is different from the Explorer.exe, Internet Explorer.

Regards

Thursday, September 24, 2015 2:32 AM
  • I also have the same problem. It is my main problem with Windows 10 at the moment. I hope this issue can be resolved. Why would the program need to be closed? We can move the word file open in windows after it opens. Why can it not do that by itself? Also, why must word propigate all other windows when a file is opened? Quite annoying
    Wednesday, November 11, 2015 12:43 AM
  • Microsoft, please fix this! 

This is the biggest reason why I don't use virtual desktops in Win10.

Monday, September 25, 2017 2:24 PM
  • Microsoft, please fix this! 

You could work around the example by saying that you want that app to open on all Desktops.

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Tuesday, September 26, 2017 1:52 AM
  • I do not accept it as a solution. This is a basically wrong behavior of the virtual desktop for years now.

On the virtual desktops for my different topics I use the same 4-5 applications, which all behave like Word. This means, I should close all these apps on VD1, to enable to open on VD2? This means in practice, I have only 1 active desktop.

Please fix this to make sense of VD's in Windows10.

Wednesday, May 22, 2019 11:25 AM