none
Windows 7 - DVD-RW drive functions like a CD-ROM drive

Question

• I have installed windows 7 RC. It's a clean install not an upgrade. But my DVD burner behaves like a CD-ROM drive it will only read CD disks but not DVD disks. It will NOT burn any cd disks and dvd disks. Its functionality got limited in Win7RC and beta. Some forums suggested me to remove upper and lower filters in the registry. I did that but no use. I have tried 3rd party software such as Nero and roxio, then also it is not working. Another advise that I got is, itunes will alter the dvd behaviour. But I have no itunes installed in my system.  To find out whether it is a hardware problem, I installed linux in my laptop (dual boot). In linux the dvd drive is functioning well. That means, we can rule out bios and hardware issues. It worked well when Vista was running. I guess it is a problem with Win 7 RC and Beta version. Am I right ?

The device manager is showing that the drive is working properly and there is NO exclamation mark. In many forums it is mentioned that there is no exclusive  driver for optical disks. Windows is supposed to install its own driver for that purpose. Which it did, i.e. "cdrom.sys". My DVD model is  "TSSTcorp CD/DVDW TS-L632M ATA Device"
    Sunday, June 14, 2009 2:07 AM

All replies

• You've installed all the suggested drivers and updates from Windows Update?

-Nick
    Wednesday, June 17, 2009 9:33 PM
  • Yes, my windows is up-to-date. I've automatic update settings in place and i can see windows installing updates whenever it is available. In fact, I installed windows 7 RC when internet in connected. During installation, windows-installer automatically downloaded many software drivers such as Nvidia(graphics), sound, modem etc.,. 

I have inserted the media such as blank CD or DVD disk into the drive and tried to burn using "roxio" and "Nero". Both software displayed the message" burning is in progress..." and after sometime they ejected the dvd disk saying that the dvd is successfully burnt.  But when I checked the same disk in windows explorer and linux, I came to know that nothing is written to the disk.

Windows 7 RC can't even read DVD disk. But linux can (with the same dvd disk). I think it is a windows 7 issue.  How do we bring this matter into microsoft's notice, so that they can fix that problem. Do you think they will be reading all these discussion?  Any comments or suggestions ?

• Edited by thumbs up Thursday, June 18, 2009 7:06 AM appended more info
    Thursday, June 18, 2009 6:53 AM
  • Hi I recently installed windows 7 RC build 7100 and seem to be having a very similar problem, I obviously installed off a DVD drive so the dvd drive was working fine then but now it only recognises CDs and not DVDs for example I can get music CDs to play but not DVD movies or games, I have tried uninstalling & reintstalling the driver for the drive but this doesn't work, and also tried the regedit fix but didnt have the 'upperfilter' and 'lowerfilter' values, it must be some kind of a conflict with on of the automatic updates, as not long after installing Win7 I watched a movie no problems!

Hope this one gets sorted out soon as I cant 'test out' all my games on win 7 at the mo! Cheers
    Thursday, June 18, 2009 2:26 PM
  • Hello thumbs up,

Is your device upgraded to the latest firmware?  Samsung has a self scan utility for updating firmwares.
    -Scott
    Thursday, June 18, 2009 11:14 PM
  • Yes, I have the same type of problem and have searched forums and coprorate sites.

I have a new VAIO FW11S, I was using Vista but had all sorts of ATA Screen driver issues which caused screen freezes resulting in crash and blue screen. Sony Centre replaced the computer twice. On the 3rd model I realised it was probably not a build issue so I upgraded to Windows 7 beta. Hey presto problem instantly fixed.

Since then however my CD burner (drive is matshita uj 220s) has stopped working. It worked once or twice but now no matter what programme, Explorer, Jet Audio or any other that I use which is supposed to be compatible the same thing occurs - the CD burns the first track, then completes immediately but afterwards shows an error symbol next to the first track.

On checking the burnt CD it is finalised but with nothing on it and therefore useless. I have eaten my way through many CD's as i have removed and replaced drivers, adjusted settings, uploaded fixes etc. Nothing works.  I have not messed with the Regiistry as I have noted from forums that this does not seem to be the issue here.

N.B. Roxio creator is incompatible with Windows 7 but are about the release a new version - Roxio Burn which is supposed to work well.

Also DVDs are erratic, they have to be opened via WMP as they don't launch and DivX won't play at DVD's at all.

It could be eiether a broken drive, or I have to removed Windows 7 by using System restore. I will restore and then report back.

I am sorry not to be able to offer any solution at this stage but at least we are all aware of this shared issue.

Saturday, July 04, 2009 4:11 PM
  • I had the exact same problem, however I followed the instructions on this post: Windows 7 DVD Drive Not Working and it fixed it. 

http://capitalhead.com/articles/windows-7-dvd-drive-not-working-problem-missing-disappeared-error-gone-not-found-not-recognized-in-x64-and-x86.aspx

Hope it works for you too.
    Sunday, July 05, 2009 7:35 AM
  • Hi, Win7Noob.

"now it only recognises CDs and not DVDs "

Sounds like the DVD laser has burnt out, but the CD laser is still good.  That has happened to my DVD drive, too.

You can:
    1.  Try to clean it with a laser cleaner kit.
    1.  Have the laser replaced (might cost as much as a new drive).
    2.  Buy a new burner.

At today's prices, Option 3 sounds best to me.

RC
    R. C. White, CPA
    Tuesday, July 07, 2009 7:29 PM
    Answerer
  • I tried the Disable Driver Enforcement but it only worked a little. It showed me a DVD with how many disk space it uses. apparently it also recognized a second D:/ drive which the other one is CD drive and the recognizable one a DVD drive.... After trying to click the drive it just vanished.

I tried the fix bcedit /setloadoptions.... but it says:

The boot configuration data store could not be opened. Access is denied.
    Thursday, July 09, 2009 5:23 AM
  • Has anyone figured out a fix for this yet.
    Thursday, August 06, 2009 3:13 AM
  • I have to tell you that I have Win XP and am having the exact same problem on both of my pc's at home.

I have also tried the upper and lower filters stuff and everything you mentioned.

This is not restricted to Win7
    Friday, September 18, 2009 9:51 PM
  • For me the issue was UAC.  Not sure why I didn't check sooner, but I spent a few hours screwing around until I tried running as administrator.  I was having the issue with all cd/dvd burning applications, including WMP, and if I right-clicked my dvd-rw drive in Computer, there was no "recording" tab.  Once I disabled UAC, all was well, the recording tab was present and all applications saw my drive as a burner once again.  I probably could have set each exe to run as admin every time, but just disabled UAC instead.  I'm crazy like that.
    • Proposed as answer by Jepeve-Dutch Monday, March 15, 2010 9:36 PM
    Tuesday, November 03, 2009 4:33 AM
  • I have the same problem, only my Win7 disc is still read, as are some very old games i tried. so far its dvds it ignores. 

specs:

TSSTcorp CD/DVDW SH-S182D ATA Device
    athlonXP 3000
    3gb ram
    ati x1300
    win 7 retail

tried all of the above, no success yet.
    Thursday, November 05, 2009 3:44 PM
  • Add me to the list too. Running Windows 7 Ultimate, my main DVD +/- RW drive (ATAPIi DVD A DHL16A3L) stopped recognizing DVDs after an hour or so of running 7. I pulled a second (working) DVD +RW drive (RHCNH DVD*RV LP4240) from another machine that read DVDs for a few hours and now it too only reads CD's. Can't even get Autoplay to open on either drive unless a CD is in.

I've tried all the suggested fixes including lens cleaners and nothing changes.

Being without a (make that two) DVD drives is ANNOYING!
    Saturday, November 07, 2009 4:14 AM
  • Same here. My DVD drives (I actually tried two) are SATA. It will not write to DVD-R media. I looked up this problem in Google, and it appears to be fairly widespread. I think there may be a bug in the new OS. Hopefully, there will be a fix sometime soon.
    Monte
    Friday, November 13, 2009 5:23 AM
  • I tried this as a final solution before I would have thrown my HP6710 with Matshita DVD-RAM UJ-860H out of the Window. I experienced the same problems as described here after installing Windows 7 Ultimate. I wouldn't play DVD's with Media Player, which I fixed with VLC but still couldn't burn anything. Searched the internet a month long for solutions, after which I've tried all registry proposals and even installed three different burning programs. Also the suggestion that a driver for a HP 8050 should be deinstalled didn't do a thing.

Disabling of UAC works also perfect for me!! Thanks very much for this really unexpected but not so "crazy" answer.

BTW Even now Media Player is also playing DVD's and I can burn from every program I like.
    Monday, March 15, 2010 9:50 PM
  • I have installed windows 7 RC. It's a clean install not an upgrade. But my DVD burner behaves like a CD-ROM drive it will only read CD disks but not DVD disks. It will NOT burn any cd disks and dvd disks. Its functionality got limited in Win7RC and beta. Some forums suggested me to remove upper and lower filters in the registry. I did that but no use. I have tried 3rd party software such as Nero and roxio, then also it is not working. Another advise that I got is, itunes will alter the dvd behaviour. But I have no itunes installed in my system.  To find out whether it is a hardware problem, I installed linux in my laptop (dual boot). In linux the dvd drive is functioning well. That means, we can rule out bios and hardware issues. It worked well when Vista was running. I guess it is a problem with Win 7 RC and Beta version. Am I right ?

The device manager is showing that the drive is working properly and there is NO exclamation mark. In many forums it is mentioned that there is no exclusive  driver for optical disks. Windows is supposed to install its own driver for that purpose. Which it did, i.e. "cdrom.sys". My DVD model is  "TSSTcorp CD/DVDW TS-L632M ATA Device"

msi cr 500 dvd rw not working
    • Proposed as answer by bij2010 Friday, April 09, 2010 8:47 AM
    Friday, April 09, 2010 8:47 AM
  • Hi. No dvd burning software is detecting my DVD Drive. After taking normal time to encode the videos, when time comes to BURN the DVD it says it cannot access the DVD Drive!!! So what to do??? Please help.

I am having Windows 7 Home Premium edition. I have also turned off the User Account Control feature of Windows 7, still it cannot access the dvd drive. I am the Administrator of the Computer. Help!!!

PS: DVDs get burnt fine with the Roxio Burn program which came pre installed with my Dell Laptop, but all other dvd burning programs are being denied access to the dvd drive.

Wednesday, April 14, 2010 11:48 AM

I passed from exactly same problem for TSSTcorp CD/DVDW TS-L633L ATA Device, Windows Vista and Windows 7 Ultimate RC dual boot system. For past few days I juggled most of alternate ways on Sony's DVD, Windows OS, cdrom.sys, registry, DVD burner software from web, but could not burn one program. Today I cleaned lens of DVD drive, moved lense's mount on track for few travels and viola I even learned how to create an iso file for a software for 'UltraISO', also burned Windows 7 Ultimate RC's iso file on DVD. So before any costly ways try method I used.

Aniruddha

Saturday, October 30, 2010 4:01 PM
  • Try installing the newest firmware from the manufacters website , i had the same problem , reading dvd's was fine but cd's he didn't even see them at all eventhough he read/burn them before , after installing latest firmware everything is ok !
    Tuesday, November 23, 2010 3:30 PM
  • I experienced a similar problem, one I've not found mentioned.

My symptom was I used to be able to burn DVDs and suddenly no longer could. I had made no hardware changes.

I could read and write CDs, and read DVDs.

Attempting to write 2 GB of data to the drive caused the drive to become unresponsive. Explorer could not access it and the disk could not be manually ejected.

I removed the disk during reboot and observed what appeared to be a CDs worth of data had been written.

I tried two more DVD-R's -- one a different brand -- with the same result.

Device Manager showed drive as CD-ROM, not DVD/CD-ROM.

I tried writing 400 MB of data to a DVD-R (DVD-R, not CD-R) and that operation completed successfully.

Internet research uncovered an article at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314060 that suggested running Troubleshooter.

I ran Troubleshooter and it reported it detected a problem and fixed it.

Following the repair, Device Manager showed DVD/CD-ROM and I was again able to burn 2 GB to a DVD-R.

The drive is a Samsung (TSST) SH-S243N.

• Proposed as answer by JonWoellhaf Friday, February 17, 2012 10:38 PM
    Friday, February 17, 2012 10:37 PM
  • Had the same Problem:

device TSSTcorp_DVD-ROM_SH-D162C_TS05

installed newest firmware, tried all options from

http://capitalhead.com/articles/windows-7-dvd-drive-not-working-problem-missing-disappeared-error-gone-not-found-not-recognized-in-x64-and-x86.aspx

but nothing helped.

DVD-drive is shown as DVD-drive in explorer, but reacts as CD-ROM-Drive. No burning available.

Any suggestions left?

Wednesday, March 13, 2013 3:40 PM
  • Migration Sucks: according to the online specs, that drive doesn't have any burning capabilities:

http://reviews.cnet.com/dvd-drives/samsung-sh-d162c-16x/4507-3212_7-31600491.html

Tim De Baets
    http://www.bm-productions.tk

Saturday, March 16, 2013 3:15 PM