none
Windows 7 Hard Drive Read/ Write Only

Question

• Hi,

I have checked the forum on how to change read only and write only properties and have found it very helpful.

However, I have found that on one of my PC's (The most  important one) my external hard drive has turned to write only. (WD 320GB)

When going on to disk part and checking the details, typing detail disk it states that the current read only status is set to "Yes" while on all other computers it is set to "No"

DISKPART> DETAIL DISK

WD 3200BMV External USB Device
    Disk ID: 41FFC810
    Type   : USB
    Path   : 0
    Target : 0
    LUN ID : 0
    Location Path : UNAVAILABLE
    Current Read-only State : Yes
    Read-only  : No
    Boot Disk  : No
    Pagefile Disk  : No
    Hibernation File Disk  : No
    Crashdump Disk  : No
    Clustered Disk  : No

Volume ###  Ltr  Label        Fs     Type        Size     Status     Info
      ----------  ---  -----------  -----  ----------  -------  ---------  --------
    * Volume 6     G                NTFS   Partition    298 GB  Healthy

I have tried both "Attributes disk clear readonly" and "Attributes volume clear readonly" and they all work. Just the current settings are set to "YES!"

Please help me fix this one.

• Edited by BreakarD Monday, May 24, 2010 10:38 AM UPDATE MORE VIEWABLE TEXT
    Monday, May 24, 2010 10:37 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Before going further, I would appreciate if you can help make the following questions clear:
    1. When did this issue first occur? Does it ever work on the main PC?
    2. Will other USB drive encounter the same issue on the PC?
    3. How do you know it is Write-only while the Current Read-only State is "Yes"? Any error message?
    4. Can you list the configuration of the PC and some differences between the main PC and the others?

Some drive cannot use both the Ethernet connection and usb connection at the same time. You must unmount/unplug one to use the other. Try only having one device connected to it at a time.

At this point, I would suggest some general troubleshooting steps as follows:

1. Run Windows update to obtain the latest update.
    2. Plug in to another port to check the result.
    3. Reinstall USB controllers:

a. Click "Start", type in Device Manager the Search bar and press "Enter". Click Continue if necessary.

b. In Device Manager, double click to expand "Universal Serial Bus controllers", right click on the "Host Controller", click "Uninstall" and click "OK".

c. Repeat the step 2 to uninstall all items under "Universal Serial Bus controllers".

Regards,

Magon Liu - MSFT
    Friday, May 28, 2010 2:33 AM
  • Hi,

This might be a compatible issue. At this point, I would suggest connecting the external hard drive on a Windows XP PC and clear the read-only flag using the command.

Magon Liu - MSFT
    Monday, May 31, 2010 2:51 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Before going further, I would appreciate if you can help make the following questions clear:
    1. When did this issue first occur? Does it ever work on the main PC?
    2. Will other USB drive encounter the same issue on the PC?
    3. How do you know it is Write-only while the Current Read-only State is "Yes"? Any error message?
    4. Can you list the configuration of the PC and some differences between the main PC and the others?

Some drive cannot use both the Ethernet connection and usb connection at the same time. You must unmount/unplug one to use the other. Try only having one device connected to it at a time.

At this point, I would suggest some general troubleshooting steps as follows:

1. Run Windows update to obtain the latest update.
    2. Plug in to another port to check the result.
    3. Reinstall USB controllers:

a. Click "Start", type in Device Manager the Search bar and press "Enter". Click Continue if necessary.

b. In Device Manager, double click to expand "Universal Serial Bus controllers", right click on the "Host Controller", click "Uninstall" and click "OK".

c. Repeat the step 2 to uninstall all items under "Universal Serial Bus controllers".

Regards,

Magon Liu - MSFT
    Friday, May 28, 2010 2:33 AM
  • Hi,

This might be a compatible issue. At this point, I would suggest connecting the external hard drive on a Windows XP PC and clear the read-only flag using the command.

Magon Liu - MSFT
    Monday, May 31, 2010 2:51 AM
  • I also have this problem. Mine says:

DISKPART> attributes volume

Read-only :No

Hidden :No

No Default Drive Letter :No

Shadow Copy :No

DISKPART> attributes disk

Current Read-only State : Yes

Read-only   : No

Boot Disk    : No

Pagefile Disk   :No

Hibernation File Disk : No

Crashdump Disk : No

Clustered Disk : No

The attributes clear stuff DOES NOT work...

There is NO StorageDevice thing in my Registry...

PLEASE POST IF YOU KNOW HOW TO SOLVE THIS!

Thursday, September 22, 2011 9:41 PM
  • likely the USB drive will work better with a USB3 port

USB3 has more power

Windows MVP, XP, Vista, 7. Expanding into Windows Server 2008 R2, SQL Server, SharePoint etc.

My page on Video Card Problems is now my most popular landing page. My Page on SSD is now #2. See my gaming site for game reviews etc.

Developer | Windows IT | Chess | Economics | Hardcore Games | Vegan Advocate | PC Reviews

Friday, September 23, 2011 11:47 PM