none
How to make a Bootable ISO from a WIM file?

Question

• Hello,

I would like to know if i have created some custom image using ImageX which is in WIM format. I would like to make a automated bootable DVD of WinPE which will load that WIM image which i created.

How can i make such DVD which will boot automatically and start deploying the image which i created with ImageX?

Monday, January 22, 2007 5:19 PM

All replies

• If you have a look at BDD 2007 you will find scripts that perform this function.

Thanks,

Ben Hunter

Tuesday, January 23, 2007 2:41 AM
  • Hello,

Follow the instructions as described in the Windows Automated Installation Kit (Windows AIK) User's Guide section Walkthrough: Create a Bootable Windows PE RAM Disk on CD-ROM.

• Before creating the ISO file, do the following:
    • Add the tools you need e.g. imagex.exe (recommend to put these witin the boot.wim)
    • Add the wim file (recommend to store these directly on the DVD).

Edit the startnet.cmd to lrun diskpart and then aunch imagex and restore the image. Most preferably, you would create another separate script that asks you if you want to restore the image.

Hope this helps

Alex

Tuesday, January 23, 2007 7:42 PM
  • Actually, I just got that to work like yesterday.  I took an ISO editor program, opened up a WIN_PE iso and added those files, with my WIM, Diskpart, Imagex, and a few custom batch files.  The process went something like this:

Win pe boots to command prompt, then my batch file goes to work running the diskpart commands, then running the imagex apply command.  So far so good.
    Friday, January 26, 2007 9:10 PM
  • I recently had 2 Nic Driver related problems while trying to use Vista PE boot and BBD 2007.  Broadcom NetExtreme II. So I was left with either a CD/DVD based install or go back old way doing thing until the driver is working.. But my task was to create new deployment system, not go backwards. These free tools made it so easy     

So this is what I came up with:

1. Setup a WDS server with PXE boot
    2. Use the LiteTouchPE_x86.wim created by BDD2007
    3. Edit the wim file using Imagex tool
    4. syntax ( Imagex /mountrw c:\images\LiteTouchPE_x86.wim 1 c:\images\mount )  
    5. Now you can add files to your boot image ( driver etc.. I did this via BBD workbench)
    6. Add your wim image file in my example 2003R2.wim syspreped wim file  
    7. Don’t forget to add the imagex tool to the
    8. edit the uattend.xml in the (path) to read

(install.cmd) simple version  

Make sure your server has enough ram

1. Unmount the image ( imagex /unmount c:\images\mount /commit )
    2. Load the new image into your DS server with proper name so you now in the boot menu what image to load.
    3. works prefect for me
    4. I made couple version of these CD’s that boot just perfectly, until the network driver works and the good thing is this method is very fast ……

The beauty of this is no network driver is needed and I can use both CD and PXE methods as one process….  If I want to use CD only Method, just change the image to boot.wim and burn ISO done!!!

I can now install New HP G5 servers supper fast with very little effort.

Saturday, January 27, 2007 4:57 PM
  •  Arvind Gaba wrote:

Hello,

I would like to know if i have created some custom image using ImageX which is in WIM format. I would like to make a automated bootable DVD of WinPE which will load that WIM image which i created.

How can i make such DVD which will boot automatically and start deploying the image which i created with ImageX?

Are you trying to install everything off of a dvd or just load WinPE off of a dvd? - In other words, are you also storing your install.wim on the dvd?
    Monday, January 29, 2007 7:56 PM
  • I have a custom .wim loaded onto my WDS server (I have BDD 2007 installed also) how can I burn this .wim as an ISO to a CDROM so I can hand it off to an external supplier to pre-load my company's OS onto new bare metal machines??  I am confused - do I use imagex or a feature in BDD 2007?

Thank you

Wednesday, June 06, 2007 6:23 PM
  • You wrote

(Step 7. Dont forget to add the imagex tool to the ....) To the what? Please specify?

Wednesday, October 01, 2008 11:07 AM