none
Storage Spaces not available in Manage Storage Spaces after clean-Reinstall RRS feed

• Question

• Hardware:

Asus X370a motherboard

AMD Ryzen 3600 CPU

GSkill 16 GB 3000 MHz memory x2

Crucial M2.2080 SSD

WD 2TB HDD x5 connected to SATA 2-6

LG Bluray read/write drive connected to SATA 1

Window 10 Pro v1903, all updates installed

All Asus driver updates installed

Events: This was a motherboard replacement.

Pulled old motherboard which booted off a WD 75 GB Raptor HDD.  Kept everything connected to same port where possible on new board.  There was no Bluray drive connected in original setup.  Booted new motherboard into Windows with no issues.  Storage Space drive appeared and data completely intact.

Booted off UFEI flash drive to load clean install of Windows 10 Pro v1903 onto M2 drive.  Windows install went normally.  Booted into Windows, loaded all remaining Windows updates and Asus drivers.  Opened Windows Explorer and noted no storage space drive.  Opened Storage Space Manager and noted no SS drive and no drives available to create a SS drive.

Ran get-StoragePool

Get-StoragePool does return a pool.

FriendlyName OperationalStatus HealthStatus IsPrimordial IsReadOnly     Size        AllocatedSize

------------      -----------------     ------------    ------------  ----------         ----         -------------
    Primordial       OK                         Healthy         True             False                9.21 TB   9.1 TB

Attempted to run 

Get-VirtualDisk -FriendlyName Media | select * | fl

Unfortunately this returned an error in command structure. Not surprising as I have never used this command.

I assumed the FriendlyName was Primordial but that does not appear to be the case.

I have searched and read several threads looking for solutions. In the most similar one, the PC owner finally discovered

that his Storage Space drive had be set to Manual Start. Unfortunately, he did not provide the sequence to

discover that nor how to correct it.

Suggestions welcome and pursued!

Sunday, September 1, 2019 3:55 PM

Answers

• Michael,

Repair-VirtualDisk doesn't work because there is no virtual disk mounted.

Get-StorageJob returns the Primordial disk.

How I fixed this is just dumb luck.  I had not yet updated to Windows 1903.  I saw the 1903 update was available so loaded the update.  I powered down the computer instead of restarting.  I unplugged all the Storage Space drives.  I restarted the computer and let the update install.  I powered down the computer and plugged in all the storage space drives.  I restarted the computer and Storage Space reappeared as if nothing had ever happened.

I can only assume that something was fouled up in the registry that got reset by the v1903 update.

• Marked as answer by Froglips Tuesday, September 24, 2019 12:07 PM
    Wednesday, September 18, 2019 12:09 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Thanks for your question.

Based on my experience, please check the new motherboard's settings, and check if the BIOS driver needs to update to a new version.

Besides, here's an article talked about Storage Space Migrating, hope this helps.

https://bryson3gps.wordpress.com/2014/08/03/migrating-storage-spaces/

Please Note: Since the web site is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Highly appreciate your effort and time. If you have any question or concern, please feel free to let me know.

Best regards,

Michael

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Tuesday, September 3, 2019 11:48 AM
    Owner
  • Micahel,

The motherboard has the latest BIOS installed recommended by the manufacturer.  The BIOS has been reset to factory defaults twice.

Thanks for the link but I do not see the relevance of the article.  If I could access the Storage Pool, why would I need to copy it to a new pool?  I can not access the old pool.

Tuesday, September 3, 2019 12:44 PM
  • Any other suggestions?  Anyone?
    Saturday, September 7, 2019 1:16 PM
  • Hi,

Sorry for my delay.

Please try the following cmdlets to repair the old storage space.

Repair-VirtualDisk
    Get-StorageJob

References:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powershell/module/storage/repair-virtualdisk?view=win10-ps

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powershell/module/storage/get-storagejob?view=win10-ps

HIghly appreciate your effort and time. If you have any question or concern, please feel free to let me know.

Best regards,

Michael

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Wednesday, September 18, 2019 8:46 AM
    Owner
  • Michael,

Repair-VirtualDisk doesn't work because there is no virtual disk mounted.

Get-StorageJob returns the Primordial disk.

How I fixed this is just dumb luck.  I had not yet updated to Windows 1903.  I saw the 1903 update was available so loaded the update.  I powered down the computer instead of restarting.  I unplugged all the Storage Space drives.  I restarted the computer and let the update install.  I powered down the computer and plugged in all the storage space drives.  I restarted the computer and Storage Space reappeared as if nothing had ever happened.

I can only assume that something was fouled up in the registry that got reset by the v1903 update.

• Marked as answer by Froglips Tuesday, September 24, 2019 12:07 PM
    Wednesday, September 18, 2019 12:09 PM
  • Hi,

Thanks for your reply. Do you mean everything goes fine now?

Just want to confirm the current situation.

Please feel free to let me know if you need further assistance.

Best regards,

Michael

Tuesday, September 24, 2019 9:58 AM
    Owner