BSOD after CPU upgrade RRS feed

• Question

• Hello all,

A couple of months ago I upgraded my 2GB of RAM to 4GB. After I had done that I ran into the infamous problem with BSODs ... back then it was easily solved by installing KB929777. My system has been running fine ever since I did that.

Today I upgraded my CPU from an E6600 to E8500. I also upgraded my graphics card from EAX1950Pro to HD4870. However ... when I tried to boot Windows I briefly saw a BSOD and my PC restarted. I can't read the actual error because the system immediately restarts. I tried to boot into Safe Mode but again the system would reboot when trying to load 'crcdisk.sys'. Last of all I tried to boot the Vista x64 DVD but again no luck, after the 'Loading files' screen I get a BSOD with error message 0x0000007E.

Suddenly I remembered the memory issue I had a couple of months ago ... I removed 1GB and yes, Windows runs fine!

The strange thing is, I have KB929777 installed (I even did a clean Vista install today) but still it doesn't work with 4GB installed.

I've flashed the BIOS to the newest version ... no luck!

Please help me out!

My computer specs:
    ASUS P5B (BIOS version: 1902 Beta [latest])
    Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 @ 3,16 Ghz.
    4GB DDR2 (2 x 1GB, 1 x 2GB)
    Sapphire HD4870
    Sitecom FireWire PCI card
    ASUS DVD-R(W)

Saturday, July 26, 2008 6:10 PM

Answers

• Hi,

I noticed the computer even cannot boot from the Windows Vista x64 DVD if 4GB memory installed.

At same time, I would like to share following information with you.

What is the blue screen stop?

Generally speaking, this should actually be a blue screen stop issue or stop error issue. Windows 2000 and later (including Windows Vista) uses separated user mode and kernel mode memory space. The blue screen stop errors are always caused by kernel portion components, such as a device drivers, backup software or anti-virus services (buggy services).

To be more specific, the system goes to a blue screen because there is some exceptions happened in the kernel (a device drivers, backup software or anti-virus services, etc.), and Windows implements this mechanism: When it detects some errors occur in the kernel, it will kill the box in case some more severe damage happens. Then we get a blue screen or the system reboots (it depends on what the system settings are).

Windows 2000, Windows XP and Windows Vista act similarly when kernel mode crash problem occurs.

How to troubleshoot the blue screen stop problem?

To solid troubleshoot this kind of kernel crash issue, we need to debug the crashed system dump and analyze the related source code if needed. Unfortunately, debugging is beyond what we can do in the forum. I'd like to recommend that you contact Microsoft Customer Support Service (CSS) for assistance so that this problem can be resolved efficiently. To obtain the phone numbers for specific technology request please take a look at the web site listed below:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;EN-US;PHONENUMBERS

If you are outside the US please see http://support.microsoft.com for regional support phone numbers.

In addition, I would like to provide the following general troubleshooting steps for you.

1.Try to use memory diagnostic tool to test memory.

For your convenience:

Windows Memory Diagnostic Users Guide

http://oca.microsoft.com/en/windiag.asp

2.Clean your memory slot and test this issue again.

Hope it helps.

Tuesday, July 29, 2008 7:44 AM

All replies

• Hi,

I noticed the computer even cannot boot from the Windows Vista x64 DVD if 4GB memory installed.

At same time, I would like to share following information with you.

What is the blue screen stop?

Generally speaking, this should actually be a blue screen stop issue or stop error issue. Windows 2000 and later (including Windows Vista) uses separated user mode and kernel mode memory space. The blue screen stop errors are always caused by kernel portion components, such as a device drivers, backup software or anti-virus services (buggy services).

To be more specific, the system goes to a blue screen because there is some exceptions happened in the kernel (a device drivers, backup software or anti-virus services, etc.), and Windows implements this mechanism: When it detects some errors occur in the kernel, it will kill the box in case some more severe damage happens. Then we get a blue screen or the system reboots (it depends on what the system settings are).

Windows 2000, Windows XP and Windows Vista act similarly when kernel mode crash problem occurs.

How to troubleshoot the blue screen stop problem?

To solid troubleshoot this kind of kernel crash issue, we need to debug the crashed system dump and analyze the related source code if needed. Unfortunately, debugging is beyond what we can do in the forum. I'd like to recommend that you contact Microsoft Customer Support Service (CSS) for assistance so that this problem can be resolved efficiently. To obtain the phone numbers for specific technology request please take a look at the web site listed below:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;EN-US;PHONENUMBERS

If you are outside the US please see http://support.microsoft.com for regional support phone numbers.

In addition, I would like to provide the following general troubleshooting steps for you.

1.Try to use memory diagnostic tool to test memory.

For your convenience:

Windows Memory Diagnostic Users Guide

http://oca.microsoft.com/en/windiag.asp

2.Clean your memory slot and test this issue again.

Hope it helps.

Tuesday, July 29, 2008 7:44 AM
  • Well, there is nothing wrong with the memory itself.

I'll try some other things myself and if all fails I'll call Microsoft.

Tuesday, July 29, 2008 5:12 PM
  • Hi,

Thank you for your cooperation.

If you have any update or question on this problem, please let me know.

Thanks.

Wednesday, July 30, 2008 8:50 AM