none
Software Updates failing with error code 0x00000000 error description "Success" RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

I have seen a few other posts regarding this error in similar Technet forums but would like to return to it with additional information. I am working at a site with approximately 27,000 endpoints. It seems around 250 are failing with error code 0x00000000 and error description "Success" in the Monitoring -> Deployment Status console for the software updates deployment. Most of these clients have communicated with the site server within the last week.

Many have said that these errors will eventually disappear and I can run a "Summarization" as well as a "Software Updates Scan Cycle" on the affected endpoints. Our "Site System Status Summarizer" task currently runs every hour on a schedule and the "Software Updates Scan Cycle" runs once per day on all endpoints as per our client settings. I don't think these tasks are resolving the issue as the numbers don't seem to decline even after manually running summarization and Software Updates Scan Cycle. Additionally, if I look at WUAHandler.log on the affected client systems I can see the following entry (update varies per system):

"Update (xxxxxxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxxxxxxxxxx) has finished the post reboot operation. HResult: 0x00000000"

It would be nice to resolve this issue permanently. Could it be issues relating to WSUS performance? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you! 

Wednesday, May 2, 2018 1:17 PM

All replies

• Hi,

I have also seen the similar issue, usually waiting for a while, it will return to normal.

But you could try to run "Software Updates Scan Cycle" again on the client;
    And click "Evaluate Software Update Deployments" in SCCM console(e.g. image)

Hope it helps.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Proposed as answer by veera0918 Thursday, July 25, 2019 1:40 PM
    Thursday, May 3, 2018 7:45 AM
  • Thanks Yuxiang.

Just out of curiosity, is there any difference between running the "Evaluate Software Update Deployments" Client Notification task and using Right Click Tools to run the "Software Updates Deployment Evaluation Cycle" on a Device Collection?

I will give this a try and see if it helps.

Thursday, May 3, 2018 12:41 PM
  • You'd have to ask the right-click tools creator as there's no way to know what it specifically does. Based on the names I'd say yes, but that's just a guess.

Jason | https://home.configmgrftw.com | @jasonsandys

• Proposed as answer by veera0918 Thursday, July 25, 2019 1:41 PM
    Thursday, May 3, 2018 1:55 PM
  • Hi,

Personally, the "Software Updates Deployment Evaluation Cycle" is executed on a single client.
    The "Evaluate Software Update Deployments" could speed up all clients in a collection to perform similar operations with the "Software Updates Deployment Evaluation Cycle" and avoid having to remote to clients to operation one by one.

Is it normal now?

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, May 10, 2018 1:33 AM
  • The number of errors do eventually decrease but it would still be helpful to determine the root cause. Perhaps it could be related to WSUS IIS pool settings or Windows Update Agent performance? 
    Thursday, June 21, 2018 1:40 PM
  • We are also seeing this in our environment. Be great to get an explanation and bug logged along with a fix / workaround
    Tuesday, July 23, 2019 4:46 PM
  • "Software Updates Deployment Evaluation Cycle" on the Recast Tool will Trigger the "Evaluate Software Update Deployments" action on the Client. Both actions from the Recast tool or from the Client Notification can be performed on a Collection or individual Client.

As for deployment status, SCCM is not a monitoring tool and not the best tool for real time data but the best this you can do is run Summarization then Refresh in the deployment status section. 

Wednesday, July 24, 2019 4:39 AM
  • I believe its fixed in the Update rollup for 1902:

A "success" return code of 0 is incorrectly reported as an error condition when you monitor deployment status in the Configuration Manager console.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/4500571/update-rollup-for-configuration-manager-current-branch-1902

Tuesday, September 17, 2019 8:17 AM