none
I cant open any exe's or programs!

Question

• I dont even know what i did! I opened a program i chose to open a part of a game i downloaded with "Notepad" on accident, now EVERYTHING on my computer is asking to be opened by notepad. So i cant play world of warcraft, use winamp ANYTHING:( Anyone know how i can change so i can use these programs again please?
    Wednesday, March 11, 2009 4:31 AM

Answers

• To fix this problem, you need to delete the UserChoice key (for the .exe extension only) in the registry which is created when you manually modify the .exe extension to be opened with other files.

• Use Start--> Run --> REGEDIT.EXE to start the registry editor
    • Locate the Following Registry Key:
      HKEY_CURRENT_USER \ Software \ Microsoft \ Windows \ CurrentVersion \ Explorer \ FileExts \ .exe \ UserChoice
    • Delete the UserChoice key in the .exe category and leave the other keys unchanged.
    • Hope it Helps

Wednesday, March 11, 2009 6:44 AM

All replies

• To fix this problem, you need to delete the UserChoice key (for the .exe extension only) in the registry which is created when you manually modify the .exe extension to be opened with other files.

• Use Start--> Run --> REGEDIT.EXE to start the registry editor
    • Locate the Following Registry Key:
      HKEY_CURRENT_USER \ Software \ Microsoft \ Windows \ CurrentVersion \ Explorer \ FileExts \ .exe \ UserChoice
    • Delete the UserChoice key in the .exe category and leave the other keys unchanged.
    • Hope it Helps

Wednesday, March 11, 2009 6:44 AM
  • Thankyou for the quick reply:) I just spent 2 hours on the phone with geeksquad and we ended up having to do a restore to yesterday, so nothing got lost. Problem was, somehow the associations got messed up. So we downloaded tools from a winhelp site and got it fixed:) i'll remember this forum next time i need help though:)
    Wednesday, March 11, 2009 6:46 AM
  • Hey syed,

I have the exact same problem as "Wowscape", except my computer is using utorrent to open everything instead of wordpad. I uninstalled utorrent if it makes a difference and now i can only open my internet with "open with", using chrome. I went to Start ---> Run ---> REGEDIT.EXE, but it gave me an error saying that it could not find the application. Also none of my downloads work, I'll try to download a file and when i get to the part where it begins to run, I'll click "Run" and it doesnt do anything. It's probably just part of the registry error thing but w/e. Plz Help if you can, thanks.

Tuesday, June 07, 2011 10:48 PM
  • hey man i am having the exact same problem as you. and the fix listed above isnt working for me either.
    • Proposed as answer by ALGHero Thursday, December 29, 2011 1:58 PM
    Sunday, October 02, 2011 6:42 AM
  • yes sometimes you can't even execute cmd or regedit because they are an exe files ...

first you creat a new notepad file in another PC (or u right click --- new --- notepad and the open it) 

copy and past this on the notepad file

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[-HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.exe]

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.exe]

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.exe\OpenWithList]

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.exe\OpenWithProgids]
    "exefile"=hex(0):

now click file---save us

change the File type to (All files (*.*))

change the encoding to (unicode)

put in the file name (exe.reg)

save it in the desktop

now go to the desktop you will find a file named (exe) with a registry icon

double click it ----yes--- yes

restart your PC 

• Proposed as answer by Alex Daa Sunday, February 03, 2013 11:48 PM
    Thursday, December 29, 2011 2:08 PM
  • Man you are the best !  Thx !
    Sunday, February 03, 2013 11:48 PM
  • Thanks for your Answer!!!
    But i can't find FileExts \ .exe \ UserChoice in regedit.
    I found HKEY_CURRENT_USER \ Software \ Microsoft \ Windows \ CurrentVersion \ Explorer but i cant see FileExts ?
    I'm used Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit!!!

Tuesday, January 07, 2014 10:13 AM
  • Thankyou so much!!!

I was frrustrated from last 4 days due to this.

Monday, July 10, 2017 6:52 PM