none
Mailbox are associated to a server that was removed from dag a long time ago RRS feed

• Question

• Hey Guys,

a few months ago i had to remove a problematic exchange server from the dag

today when i tried to re-configure one of the mailboxes it tried to auto configure to that removed server
    so i manually configured the account so it will connect

i went to the exchange powershell and when u look up get-mailbox on that user i see the server name it's associated with is the removed server

is there a way to "move" the user to a working node?

Thursday, October 3, 2019 8:43 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Did you get the database name the mailbox located in?

Was the database on the uninstalled Exchange server before, and the database was removed as well?

You can try to move it to other databases and check if the servername will be changed.

Regards,

Lydia Zhou

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com

Tuesday, October 8, 2019 9:33 AM
  • Hi,

It's great that you have solved your issue. Here is a summary about this issue.

Issue Symptom:

================================

The server name of a mailbox is associated with a remove server.

Try to re-configure the mailbox profile, it tries to connect to the removed server automatically. When configure the account manually, it will connect well.

Cause:

The associated server name cannot update successfully.

Solution:

Move the mailbox to another database and move it back:

New-MoveRequest -Identity <user name> -TargetDatabase <db name> Get-MoveRequest -Identity <user name> Remove-MoveRequest -Identity <user name>

Regards,

Lydia Zhou

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by 4matics Monday, November 4, 2019 7:41 AM
    Friday, October 18, 2019 6:31 AM

All replies

• Hi

If you didnt recover the server then you will need to go into ADSIEdit and remove the server.

Remember that you need to use ADSIEdit with caution as if you remove the wrong thing you can break your environment, take a look here how to remove a server:

https://msexperttalk.com/remove-exchange-server-using-adsi-edit/

Hope this helps. Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Thursday, October 3, 2019 5:04 PM
  • Hi,

Does the Exchange server outside the DAG still work?

Please use the following command to check the database of this user, and check which Exchange server the database is located:

get-mailbox <user name>|fl servername,database Get-MailboxDatabaseCopyStatus "<db name>"

If the database is right on the Exchange server outside the DAG, you can try to move it to an active database copy:

New-MoveRequest -Identity <user name> -TargetDatabase <db name> Get-MoveRequest -Identity <user name> Remove-MoveRequest -Identity <user name>

Regards,

Lydia Zhou

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Friday, October 4, 2019 7:15 AM
  • Hi Edward thanks for replying

but the server does not appear on adsiedit 
    I removed the problermatic server properly and then uninstalled it 

i thought the mailboxes would be automatically associated with the remaining server
    the mailbox works but its still associated with the uninstalled server for some reason

Sunday, October 6, 2019 11:13 AM
  • Hi Lydia, thanks for replying

the problematic server was removed and uninstalled properly
    that's why i don't understand how the mailbox is still associated to the removed server
    but it still works

Sunday, October 6, 2019 11:17 AM
  • Hi,

Did you get the database name the mailbox located in?

Was the database on the uninstalled Exchange server before, and the database was removed as well?

You can try to move it to other databases and check if the servername will be changed.

Regards,

Lydia Zhou

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com

Tuesday, October 8, 2019 9:33 AM
  • Is there any update on this thread?

If you have any updates to share with us, you are welcomed to post here. If there is anything else we can do for you, please feel free to post in the forum.

Regards,

Lydia Zhou

Tuesday, October 15, 2019 7:10 AM
  • I'll try that right now and report
    Tuesday, October 15, 2019 11:44 AM
  • Thank you so much it worked!!

Migrating the mailbox to another database and then back to the original database

Thursday, October 17, 2019 5:30 AM
  • Hi,

It's great that you have solved your issue. Here is a summary about this issue.

Issue Symptom:

The server name of a mailbox is associated with a remove server.

Try to re-configure the mailbox profile, it tries to connect to the removed server automatically. When configure the account manually, it will connect well.

Cause:

The associated server name cannot update successfully.

Solution:

Move the mailbox to another database and move it back:

Regards,

Lydia Zhou

• Marked as answer by 4matics Monday, November 4, 2019 7:41 AM
    Friday, October 18, 2019 6:31 AM