none
Explorer.exe Crashes with Windows 10 (November-Update) RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I have upgraded my Dell XPS 14 notebook from Win7 to Windows 10. Please be aware, this is NOT the technical preview version which seem to have been had such issues. it is the November 2015 Update, Version 1511 with further updates on top.

Sometimes my computer starts fine, I can login, but after that I only get a black screen with mouse cursor on it. It is not display-reated either, where users suggest to use Windows key + P etc. I can launch task manager, lock screen or log out via Ctr+Alt+Del, can even start any program via Task Manager like Chrome, Outlook, GPO-Editor, wahtever, but my desktop with systray is missing. Explorer.exe is not run running in that case, it even wont start.

But most of the time my notebook stars well, but explorer.exe crashes about each minute and automatically relaunces. The only buggy thing remained from the upgrade seems to be Avira Desktop, which is a antivirus program. I forgot to uninstall it before upgrade, knowing that it is not compatible to Win10. Now the Antivirus engine itself is missing from add/remove programs, but it's agent (kind of deployment software for it), is still there and I cannot uninstall it (I cleaned the registry but still have the same issues). Also that messages feature of Win10 always tells me about the fact that my security subscription for Avira (which officially is not installed on the PC) has expired etc. So, somehow this stuff is still on my PC, but I cannot find it neither in registry nor in file system. I have also tried to disable/enable Windows Defender, without much success, for about 2 days explorere.exe worked fine, but since yesterday it contantly crashes again  Any ideas?

kind regards,
    Dieter Tontsch
    mobileX AG

Tuesday, March 8, 2016 6:44 AM

Answers

• The error points to the IDTNC64.cpl, a component of IDT audio (IDT control panel applet):

*** ERROR: Symbol file could not be found.  Defaulted to export symbols for windows.storage.dll -
    *** ERROR: Symbol file could not be found.  Defaulted to export symbols for sppc.dll -
    *** ERROR: Symbol file could not be found.  Defaulted to export symbols for twinui.dll -
    *** ERROR: Symbol file could not be found.  Defaulted to export symbols for dlumd11.dll -
    Probably caused by : IDTNC64.cpl ( idtnc64+1154 )

0:058> lmvm IDTNC64
    Browse full module list
    start             end                 module name
    00007ffb`dbbf0000 00007ffb`dbdb6000   IDTNC64    (export symbols)       IDTNC64.cpl
        Loaded symbol image file: IDTNC64.cpl
        Image path: C:\Windows\System32\IDTNC64.cpl
        Image name: IDTNC64.cpl
        Browse all global symbols  functions  data
        Timestamp:        Mon Feb 13 23:56:21 2012 (4F39E975)
        CheckSum:         001C83FA
        ImageSize:        001C6000
        File version:     1.0.6388.0
        Product version:  1.0.6388.0
        File flags:       0 (Mask 3F)
        File OS:          4 Unknown Win32
        File type:        2.0 Dll
        File date:        00000000.00000000
        Translations:     0409.04e4
        CompanyName:      IDT, Inc.
        ProductName:      IDT PC Audio
        InternalName:     IDT PCA
        OriginalFilename: IDTNC64.cpl
        ProductVersion:   1.0.6388.0
        FileVersion:      1.0.6388.0
        FileDescription:  IDT PC Audio
        LegalCopyright:   Copyright © 2004 - 2009 IDT, Inc.
        LegalTrademarks:  IDT PC Audio
        Comments:         All Rights Reserved 2004 - 2009 IDT, Inc.

Try updating the IDT audio driver.

If there is not a Windows 10 compatible driver available uninstall the IDT audio driver and use Windows built-in audio driver.

You could also rename the IDTNC64.cpl in the C:\Windows\System32 to something like  IDTNC64.old to remove/change the .cpl extension and then log out and log back in again.

Wednesday, March 9, 2016 12:52 PM

All replies

• Hello

Did u tried to it in safemode ?

Need to identify which module is crashing the explorer.exe

What I suggest is to obtain a user-mode dump of the crash which has the potential to pinpoint the cause of the error.

You can configure Windows to create user-mode dumps. Create a System Restore Point first.

If you copy and paste the following in Notepad and save as a .reg file (save with the .reg extension and give it any name such as dump.reg), then right-click the .reg file and select "Merge" to add to the registry, a .dmp file at the time explorer.exe crashes should be created in the C:\CrashDumps folder:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Windows Error Reporting\LocalDumps\explorer.exe]
    "DumpFolder"=hex(2):43,00,3a,00,5c,00,43,00,72,00,61,00,73,00,68,00,44,00,75,\
    00,6d,00,70,00,73,00,00,00

After Explorer (explorer.exe) crashes, can you then make the .dmp file available (provide link) via a public folder on OneDrive (SkyDrive) or similar site?

Regards, Regin Ravi

Tuesday, March 8, 2016 8:47 AM
  • Hi Dieter Tontsch, mobileX,

Are there any error messages recorded in the Event Viewer?
    Please take the following steps to have a troubleshoot.
    1.Open an administrator command line and run "sfc /scannow" or "dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth" to check the health of system files.
    2.Perfrom a clean boot to troubleshoot whether there is a third party service conflict.
    How to perform a clean boot in Windows
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929135
    3.Use the AutoRun tool to remove the Avira entry if there is one.
    Autoruns for Windows v13.51
    https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb963902.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

As for removing the Avira completely, it is recommended to ask for help from the software developer.

If the issue persists, we could refer to ReginRavi`s step to collect the dump file to analysis the issue deeply.

Best regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, March 9, 2016 2:57 AM
  • Hi,

in the meantime I have reverted back to Win7, uninstalled Avira (and others), and then upgraded again. The very first login after the upgrade again brought me to that black screen, but I was able to manually launch explorer.exe and from then it works fine. It still had crashed a few times afterwards, but finally, after I installed the Febraury Cumulative Security Update it seems to be ok.

Unfortunatley I cannot manage to collect that crash-dump you mentioned, this reg-key is an interresting thing I was not aware of before. But even though I have added the reg-key, it also looks good, I never got a crash-dump at the path mentined, maybe I tit something wrong?

However, so far my sytem runs stable now, but it did so before too, after running stable from Friday till Monday aftrnoon, my problems started.

thanks,

Dieter

Wednesday, March 9, 2016 6:54 AM
  • Hello,

I had an explorer.exe crash again, the dump file created according to the reg-setting can be found here: explorer.exe Crash Dump

Would be great if someone could have a look to this dump and inform me about the result

kind regards,

Dieter Tontsch

mobileX AG

Wednesday, March 9, 2016 9:02 AM
  • The error points to the IDTNC64.cpl, a component of IDT audio (IDT control panel applet):

*** ERROR: Symbol file could not be found.  Defaulted to export symbols for windows.storage.dll -
    *** ERROR: Symbol file could not be found.  Defaulted to export symbols for sppc.dll -
    *** ERROR: Symbol file could not be found.  Defaulted to export symbols for twinui.dll -
    *** ERROR: Symbol file could not be found.  Defaulted to export symbols for dlumd11.dll -
    Probably caused by : IDTNC64.cpl ( idtnc64+1154 )

0:058> lmvm IDTNC64
    Browse full module list
    start             end                 module name
    00007ffb`dbbf0000 00007ffb`dbdb6000   IDTNC64    (export symbols)       IDTNC64.cpl
        Loaded symbol image file: IDTNC64.cpl
        Image path: C:\Windows\System32\IDTNC64.cpl
        Image name: IDTNC64.cpl
        Browse all global symbols  functions  data
        Timestamp:        Mon Feb 13 23:56:21 2012 (4F39E975)
        CheckSum:         001C83FA
        ImageSize:        001C6000
        File version:     1.0.6388.0
        Product version:  1.0.6388.0
        File flags:       0 (Mask 3F)
        File OS:          4 Unknown Win32
        File type:        2.0 Dll
        File date:        00000000.00000000
        Translations:     0409.04e4
        CompanyName:      IDT, Inc.
        ProductName:      IDT PC Audio
        InternalName:     IDT PCA
        OriginalFilename: IDTNC64.cpl
        ProductVersion:   1.0.6388.0
        FileVersion:      1.0.6388.0
        FileDescription:  IDT PC Audio
        LegalCopyright:   Copyright © 2004 - 2009 IDT, Inc.
        LegalTrademarks:  IDT PC Audio
        Comments:         All Rights Reserved 2004 - 2009 IDT, Inc.

Try updating the IDT audio driver.

If there is not a Windows 10 compatible driver available uninstall the IDT audio driver and use Windows built-in audio driver.

You could also rename the IDTNC64.cpl in the C:\Windows\System32 to something like  IDTNC64.old to remove/change the .cpl extension and then log out and log back in again.

Wednesday, March 9, 2016 12:52 PM
  • I just wanted to add some input to this posting.

After upgrading my HP Pavilion DV7 Laptop to Windows 10 Spring Creators edition (Version 1703) I found that when I tried to open Control Panel the application would open and display the applets but you could not select any applet and the desktop appeared to be frozen. After about 30 seconds or so Control Panel closed and I retained control over my desktop. A check of the event log showed and Application Error Event 1000 that indicated that the IDTNC64.CPL was the failing module. To resolve this problem I acquired the latest Audio update driver install program from HP. Although this driver was for a Windows 7, 64-bit PC installing this driver fixed my problem and Control Panel was accessible after a restart. Note that at that time I thought that this problem was due to the fact that HP's update program never tagged this driver as one that needed updating even while it was still Windows 7.

After installing the Windows 10 Fall Creators Update (Version 1709) I found that once again I was having the same issue as before and as before I reinstalled the same Windows 7 driver I had previously downloaded and it again fixed my problem with Control Panel. My conclusion is that perhaps the problem I had with the spring upgrade was not an old driver but that the Microsoft Creators Upgrade program caused the problem. Anyway, if you are having an issue with this Audio driver my recommendation would be to contact support for your PC and have them send you the most current audio driver setup program they have for this particular driver. I recommend this as today when I tried to find the driver thru HP's website they no longer provided me a list of drivers for my PC even though I was telling them that it was still Windows 7. My guess is that they don't even want you attempting to install an older driver so they're not listing them as being available but I'm sure that if you call them and speak to a support tech they can send you the most current driver. Fortunately for me I still had the unzipped driver install directory on my PC and I was able to run the setup program that made things better.
    Saturday, October 21, 2017 6:42 PM