none
After installing Creators Update of Windows 10, logoff script can't be run correctly RRS feed

• Question

• On my Windows10 PC, I'm using logoff script like below to run a backup in necessary.

----script----
    @echo off

:START
    set /p YN="run[y] / skip[n]:"
    if /i "%YN%" == "n" GOTO END
    if /i "%YN%" == "y" GOTO Backup
    GOTO START

:Backup
    robocopy C:\users\xxx\desktop D:\backup /MIR /COPYALL
    start explorer D:\backup

:END
    set YN=""
    ----script----

After installing Creators Update of Windows 10, any text can't be seen on the cmd window of the logoff script.
    (A command window opens, but no text messages appears.)

If I input "y" and press Enter, the backup runs correctly though.

And "D:\backup" folder opens during the script, but all folder and file names can't be seen. (icon only.)

I installed Creators Update on multiple PCs, all of them have same problem.

Does anyone know how to fix this issue?

Friday, April 28, 2017 10:47 PM

Answers

• Hi st17,turmoil,

According to the symptom, it seems that the shut down process has been changed. I will submit the issue on my side. You could use the "Feedback" tool to submit the issue on your side.

Best regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by st17 Monday, July 31, 2017 4:19 AM
    Monday, May 15, 2017 8:30 AM

All replies

• Hi st17,

For a script issue, we have a specific forum for you.
    Script Forum
    https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/scriptcenter/en-us/home?category=scripting

Best regards

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, May 1, 2017 4:16 AM
  • Hi, 

I have the same problem with a powershell script and Creators Update.

The shutdown script works but i can't see the text. (I see it with the Anniversary Update)

Thanks

Friday, May 5, 2017 11:25 AM
  • Hi MeipoXu,

This is not a script issue but the Creators Update issue.

If I rolled back to the previous version, the script could be shown correctly.

Best Regards

Sunday, May 7, 2017 11:48 PM
  • Hi st17,

Did the script run well when we run it manually? Have you tried to configure it as shutdown script?

If it run well manually, I suspect there may be a permission issue. Please try to create it as a shutdown script.

Best regards

Thursday, May 11, 2017 2:03 AM
  • Hi MeipoXu,

Thank you for the reply.

Yes, the script runs manually without any problems.

The result is same (can't see the text) even if I changed this to the shutdown script.

The problem is similar with the case below. (But this happens only during logoff/shutdown in our case.)

answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-update/no-text-displayed-in-explorer-after-creators/3a2a384f-446d-4d11-a94a-e07f427546ff

We don't use COMODO firewall, MacType, and also Safeboot & Clean boot, sfc /scannow, updating Intel Graphic Driver couldn't fix the problem.

Best Regards

Thursday, May 11, 2017 5:53 AM
  • Hi,

I found one thing. If I open the specific web site (for example: panasonic.biz/cns/pc/) at the first step of the script, any text in the script can be shown after then.

I think that Windows ( Creators Update) shutdown a process or service to show text in the cmd.exe/explorer.exe before running logoff/shutdown script.

Opening the specific web page in the script may restart a killed process or service.

(I don't know what process/services is actually affected though.)

Best Regards,

Friday, May 12, 2017 6:31 AM
  • Hi I have opened a thread about this and have just found this one so I'm glad I'm not alone! I have the same exact symptoms, no problem with Anniversary Update systems.

This is my thread here, the issue also affects .NET applications that run in visible shutdown scripts:
    Thread: Visible shutdown script broken window

Your finding about the web page is interesting, I might experiment with it. However it is terribly disappointing this issue has been introduced, Microsoft should really fix it!!

• Edited by turmoil Sunday, May 14, 2017 11:00 AM
    Sunday, May 14, 2017 10:58 AM
  • Hi st17,turmoil,

According to the symptom, it seems that the shut down process has been changed. I will submit the issue on my side. You could use the "Feedback" tool to submit the issue on your side.

Best regards

• Marked as answer by st17 Monday, July 31, 2017 4:19 AM
    Monday, May 15, 2017 8:30 AM
  • Hi MeipoXu,

Thanks.

I would like to wait a fix from MS, because this issue must be a kind of but.

I think logoff/shutdown script are used by many business locations, so MS should fix this soon. 

Tuesday, May 16, 2017 12:17 AM
  • I agree

In the meantime I have added this line to my PowerShell shutdown script (based on st17's feedback) to launch a minimized web page just before the GUI window is launched.

It checks whether the OS is Windows 10 1703 and then launches a minimized IE page. Note running IE with 'Start-Process -WindowStyle Hidden' launches a visible IE window, this seems to be a limitation in IE.

This line works on Windows 7 and up and should cover both 32 and 64 bit systems

### Work around shutdown/logoff script GUI bug in Windows 10 1703
    if(([System.Environment]::OSVersion.Version).Build -eq 15063) {
    Start-Process -WindowStyle Minimized -FilePath "${env:ProgramFiles}\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe" -ArgumentList https://www.google.com
    }

If you are wondering how I am hiding the PowerShell console window it is done by launching this VB script file in the Shutdown Script GPO:

CreateObject("Wscript.Shell").Run "PowerShell.exe -ExecutionPolicy Bypass -NoProfile -WindowStyle Hidden -File File.ps1", 0, True

UPDATE: This does not resolve the issue. I have just had one machine that exhibited the same problem even with the above technique. The website and script window were both displayed incorrectly.
    MS, please fix!

UPDATE 2: The above machine did not have the current CU installed. The above trick does appear to improve the graphics issue once the current CU is installed however not resolve it completely.

• Edited by turmoil Tuesday, May 16, 2017 7:47 AM
    Tuesday, May 16, 2017 1:53 AM
  • We are running into this issue on our network as well. Our loggoff/shutdown script doesn't work on machines that have updated to 1703, but it works flawlessly on our machines on 1607. Hope this gets fixed soon.
    Wednesday, June 7, 2017 10:07 PM
  • Hi,

Today, it seems that the Creators Update is installed forcibly on many PCs we have.

But the problem we have seen is also fixed on the version installed today.

Are there any progress on Microsoft side??

Friday, July 28, 2017 9:17 AM