XP Virtual PC in Windows 7 Looses Network Connection RRS feed

• Question

• I have a Virtual PC (Windows XP  Pro SP3) running on Windows 7.  I noticed that I started loosing connections to sessions I had on the Internet so I put a continuous ping on my gateway from the virtual PC and noticed that when I loose connectivity to my Internet applications (e-mail and some other work stuff), I am no longer able to ping my gateway.  Don't know if this helps but here are the network details...

Windows 7 - Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . : gateway.2wire.net
       Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::6027:5b5c:82a7:c2e0%12
       IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.67
       Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
       Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.254

XP- Virtual PC - Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . : gateway.2wire.net
            IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.72
            Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
            Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.254

Everything remains fine from Windows 7.  Unfortunately I have to use the Virtual PC to support some work applications - primarily the work VPN but I don't think the VPN has anything to do with it because this even happens when I don't have the VPN up.

This problem comes and goes and if I disable/enable the adapter within Network Connections (virtual PC), my pings come back.  The Device Name in Network Connecitons reads, "Intel 21140-Based PCI Fast Ethenet Adapter (Generic)" - It's a Gig adapter so maybe I need to look into getting the exact driver for this adapter...?

Any other ideas?  Seems wierd since the Adapter isn't connected anyway but perhaps that's just because it's a Virtual PC - just guessing...  Help please!

Tuesday, July 6, 2010 3:33 PM

Answers

• Hi,

I also would like to suggest you update the firmware for your router.

After that, please run the following commands to rese the WinSock, TCP/IP and DNS.

NETSH  WINSOCK RESET

NETSH  INT  IP  RESET

IPCONFIG  /FLUSHDNS

If it does not work, please also test the virtual machine issue in Safe Mode with Networking and Clean Boot.

What are the results?

Regards,

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Thursday, July 8, 2010 2:03 AM

All replies

• First, don't try messing around with your network card drivers in the VM, it will only mess things up worse.  The driver installed is the correct driver for the emulated NIC in the VM.

What you could do is try updating the network card drivers on your host to the most recent version available from the NIC manufacturer.

Also, are you using wireless or a wired NIC?  What's the make/model?

Tuesday, July 6, 2010 4:52 PM
  • Hi,

I also would like to suggest you update the firmware for your router.

After that, please run the following commands to rese the WinSock, TCP/IP and DNS.

NETSH  WINSOCK RESET

NETSH  INT  IP  RESET

IPCONFIG  /FLUSHDNS

If it does not work, please also test the virtual machine issue in Safe Mode with Networking and Clean Boot.

What are the results?

Regards,

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Thursday, July 8, 2010 2:03 AM