none
changing motherboard with windows 7 intalled and xp

Question

• I'm changing my motherboard and cpu, I have xp on one hardrive and windows 7 on a different one, with a 250gb partition  split so making 3 drives all together. What is the best way to go about this could i un plug the windows 7 hardrive and try to repair xp as a clean install for xp isn't an option. However I've not long installed windows 7 so a clean install would be ok. \any ideas
    Tuesday, February 02, 2010 9:32 PM

Answers

• Ok solved it finally, after reading posts here and there I found out I wasn't the only one with the expanding windows hang problem. create a usb windows 7 installation. there is a thread on here how to do it. Do a search to find it. I bought a usb stick 8gb from asda it was about £20 i think. use trail version of ultra iso and use your downloaded iso or use a program to get the files of your DVD. set your bios to boot from a usb. At first i thought It wasnt going to work as it took ages to load the windows files longer than usual. But wait a little, it started the install with no long dragging hang and when it got to the expanding windows bit it took a matter of minutes. whole install probably took 15-20mins. After changing processor, and motherboard, I have xp running and windows 7 64 bit on a dual boot. thanks for you advice guys.
    • Marked as answer by Paul mason021 Friday, February 05, 2010 12:59 PM
    Friday, February 05, 2010 12:59 PM

All replies

• without some spec on current / replacement hardware we can only guess.

two things come to mind

1.) Is the XP or win 7 OEM then you would have issues with the install as OEM dies with the motherboard (no swapping)

2.) If you are staying within the same chipset you MAY get away without a clean install but the chances are greater that the swap will
    cause the system not to boot or become unstable.
    Tuesday, February 02, 2010 11:32 PM
  • Use WET for XP, you will most likely have to do a repair to XP as it'll most likely bluescreen on you until you install the drivers. Also keep in mind that the boot order will be foobarred as I'm assuming now you have it dual booting (select which OS to choose from a menu) which if you keep the other drive out, you again be forced to fix drivers issues and again fix the boot order. Not real hard, if you're prepared and have your notes in order with drivers for both XP and Windows 7 at the ready.  If you don't want to reinstall Windows 7, just backup the data in the event something bad does go wrong (always backup)  External drives make such a scenario much easier to deal with.

both Windows Vista and Windows 7 handle a motherboard transplant quite well.  They'll almost certainly churn away locating and installing suitable device drivers for your new hardware, with no ill-effects other than the install deactivating.  You'll almost certainly need to reactivate afterwards.

Some people will take the 'cautious' approach and advise you to clean install again anyway.  But I'd recommend you try it and see.  If you're not happy with the results you can always start over with a clean install later on.

Your Windows XP install won't be happy at it afterwards though.  most likely outcome for XP is that it'll refuse to even boot up!

If you need to reinstall XP again that'll render your Windows 7 install unbootable, because the XP install will have changed the boot loader.  To get back the capacity to boot to windows 7, after you've reinstalled XP, you'll need to boot from the Windows 7 install disk and perform a 'Startup Repair'.

You will need to re-activate Windows 7 and Windows XP after replace important hardware. However I cannot help confirm whether we will need to reinstall operation system or not. It depends on the exact devices we changed.

For example, we may not need to reinstall system if we upgrade Intel CPU to a newer one, but need to reinstall if we replaced with an AMD CPU.

If both systems stopped working, repair Windows 7 and get into Windows 7 to repair Windows XP. That is another issue.

MCSE, MCSA, MCDST [If this post helps to resolve your issue, please click the "Mark as Answer" or "Helpful" button at the top of this message. By marking a post as Answered, or Helpful you help others find the answer faster.]
    Tuesday, February 02, 2010 11:34 PM
  • Ok so I installed new cpu core 2 duo 3.6ghz e8500, and asus striker ii formula mother board. plug everything back in, and repaired windows xp, it seem to work but then wouldn't go past welcome screen however would boot fine in safe mode? Then i tried windows 7 it didn't boot i booted of disc and then chose to repair but that wouldn't work so I thought i'd best just clean install. First time I installed windows 7 it took a matter of minutes now it just wont work it's so slow, it took about 2 hours just to get the point where it says expanging windows files and didnt go past 0%. I'm using a 500gb sata drive and reformated it before re installing windows 7. just cant think what problem is? Is it worth installing xp as clean install again then install windows 7 on second harddrive?
    Wednesday, February 03, 2010 9:36 PM
  • no reason to start a new thread, you just confuse us.

It is all on you, you did something not supported at all, even if you did get it to boot the OS would be unstable, as I said in my first post to your first post.
    wipe and load is the only way to get a stable PC if you change chipset

Wednesday, February 03, 2010 11:14 PM
  • sorry for starting new thread, i backed up things i wanted to keep from xp and windows 7 on separate hard drive. i have intalled xp as clean install. which works fine. I have then gone to install windows 7 as a clean install. However windows 7 doesn't seem to install its running super slow. Last time I installed it with my old set up it installed in about 20 mins or so. heres my full specs intel core duo 3.6ghz e8500, asus striker ii formula motherboard, 6gb of ddr 800 ram, nvidia gtx 260 1786mb graphics card with a 500gb sata hardrive in two equal partitions. Surely this should install quicker than my last set up as it was alot slower than this one?
    Wednesday, February 03, 2010 11:58 PM
  • I would stop the install and go into the BIOS and do some research.

You may need to change the way the harddrive is seen.
    Thursday, February 04, 2010 1:11 AM
  • It will hang at expanding windows i think after a few hours I get too 3%. I tried the tips everyone has suggested disabling spped step, and floppy drive but it still hangs even ejecting disc and re inserting it dont work. the dvd drive seems to stop running becuase the light doesn't flash. I've looked throught the bios and there is not many settings to change in relation to sata drives just auto and none, and auto and large? Still no joy!

Thursday, February 04, 2010 1:06 PM
  • Ok solved it finally, after reading posts here and there I found out I wasn't the only one with the expanding windows hang problem. create a usb windows 7 installation. there is a thread on here how to do it. Do a search to find it. I bought a usb stick 8gb from asda it was about £20 i think. use trail version of ultra iso and use your downloaded iso or use a program to get the files of your DVD. set your bios to boot from a usb. At first i thought It wasnt going to work as it took ages to load the windows files longer than usual. But wait a little, it started the install with no long dragging hang and when it got to the expanding windows bit it took a matter of minutes. whole install probably took 15-20mins. After changing processor, and motherboard, I have xp running and windows 7 64 bit on a dual boot. thanks for you advice guys.
    • Marked as answer by Paul mason021 Friday, February 05, 2010 12:59 PM
    Friday, February 05, 2010 12:59 PM
  • ok I think I found out why windows 7 wouldn't install via DVD, my DVD drives won't work while in windows 7 stick a DVD in nothing happens I can only assume as I install windows 7 with no problems with my old motherboard, that there is some sort of incompatibility with the new board and DVD drives anyone got any thoughts
    Friday, February 05, 2010 9:16 PM