none
Heavy battery drain in Windows 8 RTM RRS feed

• Question

• Hello, after having tried pre-release versions, I installed Windows 8 Enterprise RTM on my notebook, a HP Elitebook 8440p, replacing Windows 7.

I'd like to point out that I didn't upgrade to Windows 8, I chose to do a clean install.

I have one major issue with my notebook now: battery life.
    While with 7 my battery life was about 2 hours, now with Windows 8 my battery life hardly reaches 55 minutes, no matter which power plan I use. Changing the driver for my graphic card (Nvidia NSV 3100M) has no impact on battery duration.

The issue is also reported here: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_cp-hardware/after-upgrading-to-windows-8-consumer-preview-my/9b1eb828-8370-4345-a761-20bc9be871ce?msgId=7b7d2e26-9cb3-423a-bf13-503128dbb5f6 . Microsoft closed the thread stating that issue was caused by the pre-release software... :( .

Any suggestion to improve battery life?

Has anyone else experienced this problem?
    Sunday, September 16, 2012 6:15 AM

Answers

• Hi,

This should be Power Management driver cause, I mean ACPI. I also think you need to contact the Manufacuturer for help on this issue.

Juke Chou

TechNet Community Support

Monday, September 17, 2012 8:21 AM

All replies

• Any suggestion to improve battery life?

Why have you downgraded to Windows 8?

Upgrade back to Windows 7!

vjj

Sunday, September 16, 2012 6:32 AM
  • Did you make any changes to your BIOS?

Try check your PC manufacturer's website and install latest BIOS and Firmware upgrade(if any).

Post your issue in HP forum.

Sunday, September 16, 2012 9:23 AM
  • Hi, already upgraded to latest BIOS available. No changes made in the settings.

I believe that the problem is not hardware-related and Windows 8 is somehow responsible: Windows 7 had a longer battery life and even Fedora 17 (installed in dual boot), a known battery "hog", has better results.

Sunday, September 16, 2012 9:43 AM
  • My laptop seems to run a little longer on Windows 8(closer to 5 hours.. win7 was about 4 hours and change).

The first thing you should be realistically thinking to yourself is what will cause battery drain.. in most cases higher resource use.. such as cpu/video card etc.. so start taking a look at your task manager/resource monitor..

Sunday, September 16, 2012 9:52 AM
  • Unluckily no apps or processes seem to require high battery use: monitoring resource usage with Perfmon or Resource Monitor showed nothing worth of further analysis.

After a capture with Intel BLA, the main problem seems to be the CPU (Intel i7 vpro), that keeps running  too long in c1 state, even when using powersave power plan.

I don't know how can fix this problem by myself... and I don't want to go back to 7.

Any suggestion welcome!

Monday, September 17, 2012 4:37 AM
  • Hi,

This should be Power Management driver cause, I mean ACPI. I also think you need to contact the Manufacuturer for help on this issue.

Juke Chou

TechNet Community Support

Monday, September 17, 2012 8:21 AM
  • I had a problem with my older Toshiba laptop when I installed the consumer preview. It was running at 28% CPU utilization in idle, which was *really* eating battery power (got barely 2.5 hours out of my gigantic 12-cell battery). Turns out it was some weird thing in the wifi chipset driver. Toshiba didn't have a fix posted, so I found a Lenovo update for the same chipset and installed it, which solved the issue.

I clean-installed a release version of Windows 8 Pro on the machine two nights ago and haven't noticed the excessive fan noise I had when the minimum CPU was pegged in the 20s, but I didn't check the CPU usage because the machine is moving to being plugged in full time. Probably should.

I wish I could find the post that named the chipset. It's really common.

Monday, November 5, 2012 6:17 AM
  • I"m having the same problem with my 2 days ago upgrade to Windows 8 pro. Battery life is down to only 2-2.5 hrs. from 8-9 hrs. on a full charge. Fan runs continuously and noticed screen does not dim when keyboard or mouse not touched. Its on a balanced setting and tried the saving mode with no improvement. BIOS is updated too. My notebook is a Acer Aspire Timeline X 5830TG model. Checked task mananger and everything is normal in usage. Seems like a Windows 8 problem? Courious how you knew it was a wifi chipset driver causing your power drainage?

Thanks for any info...

Monday, November 26, 2012 5:58 PM
  • so, i think that it's better to wait for full and power version of w8, there is still some issues with windows 8 that was not on 7, i have netbook eee pc 1001px and on windows 7 i had about 3hrs bat.life and now on 8 i have only 1:30 hrs or lower... in my opinion windows 7 has best power management on battery life that any other windowses ... so i wanna install still 7 .. :\\\ 8 is faster but with shorter life : ))) 
    Thursday, December 27, 2012 7:33 PM
  •  I have a Dell XPS 15 L502Z with Windows 7 Ultimate I had 4 or 5 hours battery life, after upgrade to Windows 8 Pro (clean install)  it's bearly an hour. That is really a massive battery drainage!! 
    Sunday, January 13, 2013 12:12 AM
  • Exact same problem here - I have Dell XPS15 L502X and had about 4-5 hours battery life on Windows 7 but after upgrading to Windows 8 Pro, I hardly get about 40 minutes! I even went from HDD to SSD which should improve battery life at a great extend but no! I love Windows 8 but this is a huge problem and it's hard to deal with.
    Friday, May 3, 2013 7:42 PM
  • Exact same problem here - I have Dell XPS15 L502X and had about 4-5 hours battery life on Windows 7 but after upgrading to Windows 8 Pro, I hardly get about 40 minutes!
    Update the BIOS/UEFI and install Dell Quickset which can optimize the power saving settings.

"A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code"

Friday, May 3, 2013 7:56 PM
    Answerer
  • I too have a similar problem

I upgraded from windows 8 to windows 8.1 on my hp sleekbook4 and the battery life is redeuced to almost half.

Previously it was 6hours + while as now the battery gets drained in half the time.

No matter what is the  power plan, the results are same.

BIOS and firmware is latest.

Please help.

Thursday, October 24, 2013 11:15 AM