none
ATI Radeon Kernel Mode Driver

Question

• I'm operating on Vista.  Evidently this driver is causing problems when my computer tries to turn on from sleep mode. 

I've noticed that many people are having similar problems, but so far no one has posted any solutions that I can find.  Not very impressive, is all I can say. 

Please help. 
    Sunday, July 27, 2008 9:48 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Thank you for your detail information.

Is the computer set for S3? If it is, the issue is known problem on ATI driver’s side:

Known Issues Under the Windows Vista Operating System:

Resuming from an S3 state may result in a longer than expected time for the Windows Vista operating system to resume. Further details can be found in topic number 737-25798

You can find it on ATI official website:

http://www2.ati.com/relnotes/catalyst_74_release_notes.html

Fortunately, this behavior was fixed by ATI latest driver. You can install it to resolve this issue.

For your convenience:

http://ati.amd.com/support/driver.html

Please select your operating system, product family and the product and then select GO to get the latest driver.

Hope it helps.

Important Note: This response contains a reference to a third party World Wide Web site. Microsoft is providing this information as a convenience to you. Microsoft does not control these sites and has not tested any software or information found on these sites; therefore, Microsoft cannot make any representations regarding the quality, safety, or suitability of any software or information found there. There are inherent dangers in the use of any software found on the Internet, and Microsoft cautions you to make sure that you completely understand the risk before retrieving any software from the Internet.

Friday, August 01, 2008 8:55 AM
  • Hi,

Thank you for your feedback. I understand that the issue still persists after installing the latest ATI driver.

Please understand that ATI admitted this is a driver issue on their side, and they announced they fixed this issue on official website. Given the situation, I suggest you contact ATI Support to report your specific problem. In this way, ATI will improve their driver and help you resolve the issue efficiently. Thank you for your understanding.

For your convenience:

AMD Customer Care for ATI Products

http://support.ati.com/ics/support/default.asp?deptID=894

Please Note: Since the web site is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Again, thank you for choosing Microsoft.

Have a nice day!

Monday, August 04, 2008 6:52 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Before moving on, we need more detail information about your problem. Is it a BSOD issue? What’s the detail error message? Thank you for your cooperation.

Did you install Windows Vista Service Pack 1 and the latest Windows Updates? It fix some known issues in Windows Vista. Such as: KB929734, which is included in Windows Vista SP1.

KB929734: You may experience problems after you resume a Windows Vista-based computer from sleep or from hibernation

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929734

If the issue still persists after installing updates, it is recommended to install the latest video driver and update your BIOS to the latest version.

if it doesn’t work, please let me know.

Hope it helps.

Tuesday, July 29, 2008 7:58 AM
  •  Jg564 wrote:
    I'm operating on Vista.  Evidently this driver is causing problems when my computer tries to turn on from sleep mode.  

Yeah I'm having the same exact problem. I initially searched for help on why my laptop starts up so slowly and it pointed me to Advanced Tools, where I found this Performance Issue:

These drivers are causing Windows to resume slowly

Name: ATI Radeon Kernel Mode Driver
    Filename: Atikmdag.sys
    Publisher: ATI Technologies Inc.
    Device: ATI Radeon X1200

..and suggests I uninstall the device if I am no longer using it.

I've already installed Win Service Pack 1 but am still having this problem. I don't know where to download the latest video driver for my laptop; please tell me how to figure out which video card/ driver I am using?

Thanks.
    Wednesday, July 30, 2008 10:29 PM
  • All I know is that when I opened up the Performance Information and Tools link in the Control Panel, I found the following alert: 

"These drivers are causing Windows to resume slowly. 

Name:  ATI Radeon Kernel Mode Driver

Filename:  atikmdag.sys

Publisher:  ATI Technologies Inc.

Device:  ATI Radeon Xpress 1150

Date reported:  Fri Jul 18, 2008 2:51 AM

Time taken:  3.2 seconds.

Name:  ATI Radeon Kernel Mode Driver

Filename:  atikmdag.sys

Publisher ATI Technologies Inc.

Device:  ATI Radeon Xpress 1150

Date reported: Thu Jan 10, 2008 11:29 PM

Time taken:  2.6 seconds

If you no longer use the device, consider uninstalling it.  For more information, click on Help"

I haven't found any information that suggests that I should uninstall this driver, and the last thing I want to do is crash my own system. As far as I can tell, my computer is completely updated.  I downloaded the update you recommended anyways, but it doesn't appear to have changed anything.  

I appreciate any help. 

Wednesday, July 30, 2008 10:36 PM
  • Hi,

Is the computer set for S3? If it is, the issue is known problem on ATI driver’s side:

Resuming from an S3 state may result in a longer than expected time for the Windows Vista operating system to resume. Further details can be found in topic number 737-25798

Fortunately, this behavior was fixed by ATI latest driver. You can install it to resolve this issue.

For your convenience:

Please select your operating system, product family and the product and then select GO to get the latest driver.

Hope it helps.

Important Note: This response contains a reference to a third party World Wide Web site. Microsoft is providing this information as a convenience to you. Microsoft does not control these sites and has not tested any software or information found on these sites; therefore, Microsoft cannot make any representations regarding the quality, safety, or suitability of any software or information found there. There are inherent dangers in the use of any software found on the Internet, and Microsoft cautions you to make sure that you completely understand the risk before retrieving any software from the Internet.

Friday, August 01, 2008 8:55 AM
  • I downloaded the new driver, but the same error message persists, citing the new driver as the problem. 

Saturday, August 02, 2008 3:54 PM
  • Hi,

Thank you for your feedback. I understand that the issue still persists after installing the latest ATI driver.

Please understand that ATI admitted this is a driver issue on their side, and they announced they fixed this issue on official website. Given the situation, I suggest you contact ATI Support to report your specific problem. In this way, ATI will improve their driver and help you resolve the issue efficiently. Thank you for your understanding.

For your convenience:

AMD Customer Care for ATI Products

http://support.ati.com/ics/support/default.asp?deptID=894

Please Note: Since the web site is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Again, thank you for choosing Microsoft.

Have a nice day!

Monday, August 04, 2008 6:52 AM
  • Log Name:      Microsoft-Windows-Diagnostics-Performance/Operational
    Source:        Microsoft-Windows-Diagnostics-Performance
    Date:          11/15/2008 10:31:28 PM
    Event ID:      351
    Task Category: Standby Performance Monitoring
    Level:         Error
    Keywords:      Event Log
    User:          LOCAL SERVICE
    Computer:      Paige-PC
    Description:
    This driver responded slower than expected to the resume request while servicing this device:
         Driver File Name        :    \Driver\usbohci
         Driver Friendly Name        :    OHCI USB Miniport Driver
         Driver Version            :    6.0.6000.16391 (vista_gdr.061116-1735)
         Driver Total Time        :    3931ms
         Driver Degradation Time    :    3531ms
         Incident Time (UTC)        :    11/16/2008 3:29:52 AM
         Device Name            :    PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_4375&SUBSYS_FF001179&REV_80\3&13c0b0c5&1&99
         Device Friendly Name        :    ATI I/O Communications Processor USB 1.1 OHCI controller
         Device Total Time        :    3931ms
         Device Degradation Time    :    3531ms
    Event Xml:
    <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
      <System>
        <Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-Diagnostics-Performance" Guid="{cfc18ec0-96b1-4eba-961b-622caee05b0a}" />
        <EventID>351</EventID>
        <Version>1</Version>
        <Level>2</Level>
        <Task>4003</Task>
        <Opcode>35</Opcode>
        <Keywords>0x8000000000010000</Keywords>
        <TimeCreated SystemTime="2008-11-16T03:31:28.679Z" />
        <EventRecordID>403</EventRecordID>
        <Correlation ActivityID="{00000000-58A8-0000-2366-6AE58C47C901}" />
        <Execution ProcessID="1680" ThreadID="6096" />
        <Channel>Microsoft-Windows-Diagnostics-Performance/Operational</Channel>
        <Computer>Paige-PC</Computer>
        <Security UserID="S-1-5-19" />
      </System>
      <EventData>
        <Data Name="StartTime">2008-11-16T03:29:52.159Z</Data>
        <Data Name="NameLength">16</Data>
        <Data Name="Name">\Driver\usbohci</Data>
        <Data Name="FriendlyNameLength">25</Data>
        <Data Name="FriendlyName">OHCI USB Miniport Driver</Data>
        <Data Name="VersionLength">39</Data>
        <Data Name="Version">6.0.6000.16391 (vista_gdr.061116-1735)</Data>
        <Data Name="TotalTime">3931</Data>
        <Data Name="DegradationTime">3531</Data>
        <Data Name="PathLength">40</Data>
        <Data Name="Path">C:\Windows\system32\DRIVERS\usbohci.sys</Data>
        <Data Name="ProductNameLength">37</Data>
        <Data Name="ProductName">Microsoft® Windows® Operating System</Data>
        <Data Name="CompanyNameLength">22</Data>
        <Data Name="CompanyName">Microsoft Corporation</Data>
        <Data Name="DeviceNameLength">61</Data>
        <Data Name="DeviceName">PCI\VEN_1002&amp;DEV_4375&amp;SUBSYS_FF001179&amp;REV_80\3&amp;13c0b0c5&amp;1&amp;99</Data>
        <Data Name="DeviceFriendlyNameLength">57</Data>
        <Data Name="DeviceFriendlyName">ATI I/O Communications Processor USB 1.1 OHCI controller</Data>
        <Data Name="DeviceTotalTime">3931</Data>
        <Data Name="DeviceDegradationTime">3531</Data>
      </EventData>
    </Event>
    Tuesday, November 18, 2008 11:57 AM
  • I sent an earlier message with a boat load of code regarding this issue.  I was hoping that would clue you in to the problem.  Since my post, I had perused more of the message boards and saw your suggestion to go to the ATI site (with your provided link!)  I did this install and hopefully......

Thank you and if there is something else I need to fix for this, please contact me!

Thanks so much!

Tuesday, November 18, 2008 12:46 PM
  • Hi...

I was (and, there may be a possibility, that I still am) in the same position with this driver.  I searched a little further on the message boards and found this and followed the suggestion.....at your own risk....GOOD LUCK!  I don't know if it will work yet....just installed the fix about an hour ago!

~Blues   

Hi,

For your convenience:

Hope it helps.

Tuesday, November 18, 2008 12:51 PM
  • Hi Robinson,

Can't I just delete this file Atikmdag.sys from my laptop? What would happen if I uninstall and remove this driver from my laptop? What exactly does this driver do?

Thanks a lot.
    Saturday, August 29, 2009 11:19 PM
  • MERHABA  .BEN TÜRKÜM. SİZLERE BİR SORU OLCAK ? BİLGİSAYARIM ÖZELLİKLERİ:
     VİSTA HOME PREMIUM 32 BİT
    ATI RADEON (HIS) ICE Q 3750 EKRAN KARTI
    ASUS Intel G31 P5KPL anakart
    İNTEL CORE 2 DOU CPU 8400 3.00 GHZ
    300 GB HARDİSK SAMSUNG
    400 WAT COOLERMASTER KASA
    2 GB KINGSTON BELLEK 800 
     ATİKMADG .SYS SORUNU YAŞIYORUM
     ACİL YARDIM EDİN OYUN OYNARKEN TAKILIYOR
    Friday, June 18, 2010 10:44 AM
  • bonjour,

pour moi c'est pareil et il y a toujours un message d'un arreté non planifié et je ne sais pas quoi faire

Monday, July 15, 2013 10:40 AM