none
Windows Media Player cannot play the file because the required video codec is not installed on your computer

Question

• I can not find solution to the issue "Windows Media Player cannot play the file because the required video codec is not installed on your computer" while attempting to play the file with *.wmv extension. Some computer fail in spite of said missing codec being present according the windrows media player in Windows 7 box

Tuesday, January 03, 2012 6:11 PM

Answers

All replies

• I can not find solution to the issue "Windows Media Player cannot play the file because the required video codec is not installed on your computer" while attempting to play the file with *.wmv extension. Some computer fail in spite of said missing codec being present according the windrows media player in Windows 7 box

Hi dingusmagii,

Please Check this KB : http://support.microsoft.com/kb/926373

Regards,

MCP ✦ MCTS ✦ MCITP
    Tuesday, January 03, 2012 6:21 PM
  • If Rashid's link does not resolve it... consider the below:

A)  As of this writing, the codec for GoToMeeting webinar recordings ("G2M4" codec) was only mentioned in *one* web page, of about 10 Microsoft web pages I read, to resolve this problem (and that codec is not included, yet, in their diagnostic tool), so if you're trying to play a GoToMeeting webinar, simply get the codec for it from their site:  http://www.GoToMeeting.com/codec

B)  If Windows Media Player (WMP) will not even open the file, you won't be able to get the 4-character codec's name (like "G2M4") from WMP.  But VLC's media player will tell you that code, even when it fails to run the video.... and then you can search the internet for it. 

C)  The problem sometimes is not actually a missing codec.  Other things that have helped others, some from: 
    http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-pictures/the-windows-media-player-12-could-not-play-the-wma/bb823460-44df-4e8d-ba2c-42ec0e111e5a?page=3

(1) running the System File Checker (SFC.exe),
    (2) opening WMP first (running both the 32-bit and 64-bit versions) then opening the file from inside them,
    (3) confirming that WMP was the file association for WMV files,  
    (4) Control Panel -> Hardware and Sound -> Sound, selecting my audio device, and looking for a "5.1" setting (I didn't have one), to change to "stereo",
    (5) checking Tools\Options\Devices\Speakers\Properties\Speaker Properties\AdvancedPlayback\ Speakers /HP\Properties\Advanced\Default Format, to select "CD or DVD Quality" (if that setting appears for your device),

Good luck,
    -- Doug

Doug Ivison

• Edited by Doug_Ivison Thursday, July 05, 2012 7:26 PM cleanup text pasted from other page, but not pertinent
    • Proposed as answer by PhearCVBz Monday, December 10, 2012 2:14 PM
    Thursday, July 05, 2012 7:24 PM
  • Perfect!,  in my case below solution solved my problem. Thanks Doug Ivison

A)  As of this writing, the codec for GoToMeeting webinar recordings ("G2M4" codec) was only mentioned in *one* web page, of about 10 Microsoft web pages I read, to resolve this problem (and that codec is not included, yet, in their diagnostic tool), so if you're trying to play a GoToMeeting webinar, simply get the codec for it from their site:  http://www.GoToMeeting.com/codec

Tuesday, July 17, 2012 2:57 AM
  • Doug

You have been a Savior to me. Let me tell you I just got a new Dell all in one with windows 8 Pro and it has WMP 12 pre installed and I was downloading some online training classes which are in WMV format. I was able to play 5 files using WMP but suddenly for the 6th video WMP started giving an error saying that I don't have the codec installed. I sat for 12 hours non stop looking for solutions, downloaded all possible codecs, video converter, uninstalled and re installed WMP, tried other types of media player  and in some of them I could just hear the voice. Then when I read you post I realized that when I was trying to play WMV in VLC, it gave an error saying "G2M4" not supported. Then after reading your post I installed GoToMeeting codec from their website and it worked. So thank you so much for your post. I was a BIG relief. 

For all those people who are getting error like mine then kindly install gotomeeting codec from thier website and definitely youR WMP will be able to play WMV extension.

Good Luck

Sadia 

• Edited by Sadia Arif Wednesday, December 05, 2012 9:15 AM
    Wednesday, December 05, 2012 9:13 AM
  • Thanks Doug, I am now able to open my WMV video files after several trials of codec download from Internet that did not solve the problem until I red your instructions posted on 5th of July 2012.  Once again, I say thank you for the big relief.
    Friday, August 16, 2013 1:33 AM
  • Perfect! It worked in my case just by getting the codec from GoToMeeting site.

Thanks

Monday, December 16, 2013 10:41 PM
  • Doug

You have been a Savior to me. Let me tell you I just got a new Dell all in one with windows 8 Pro and it has WMP 12 pre installed and I was downloading some online training classes which are in WMV format. I was able to play 5 files using WMP but suddenly for the 6th video WMP started giving an error saying that I don't have the codec installed. I sat for 12 hours non stop looking for solutions, downloaded all possible codecs, video converter, uninstalled and re installed WMP, tried other types of media player  and in some of them I could just hear the voice. Then when I read you post I realized that when I was trying to play WMV in VLC, it gave an error saying "G2M4" not supported. Then after reading your post I installed GoToMeeting codec from their website and it worked. So thank you so much for your post. I was a BIG relief. 

For all those people who are getting error like mine then kindly install gotomeeting codec from thier website and definitely youR WMP will be able to play WMV extension.

Good Luck

Sadia 

Hi Sadia 

I was also facing same kind of problem. I have my training class videos in WMV format ( from gotomeeting). Which were not playing in WMP. I downloaded FLV, Free Media player, Real Player. But, no result. At last read your posting and my problem got solved.

My sincere Thanks to Doug and you.

Sangan

Thursday, January 09, 2014 6:15 PM