Windows 7 - COMDisable Tool equivalent fix RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

We are experiencing an issue on Windows 7 Pro Operating System with a serial device that communicates using COM ports over USB.
    The issues we are experiencing are the following:

1.  Sometimes and randomly during OS bootup sequence, when the device is plugged-in and powered on, the OS detects the device as a serial mouse pointing device.

2.  Sometimes and on extremely rare occasions, after the device has been correctly detected by the OS and running correctly afterwards, it suddenly gets redetected as serial mouse pointing device.

The available COMPortDisable tool made by Microsoft would be the solution but it appears to be made for prior versions of the Operating System.

Is there any other tools/fixes that will prevent serial devices being detected as a serial mouse available for Windows 7?

Thank you very much for your support,
    GPUBamboo

Saturday, December 3, 2011 12:37 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Base on my searched from Microsoft Download Center, there seems no other Tools to disable it. You may need third party tools. But we cannot recommend any tools for your. That’s out of our duty.  Thank you for your understanding.

Regards,

Leo   Huang

Leo Huang

TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by Leo Huang Tuesday, December 13, 2011 1:09 AM
    Monday, December 5, 2011 2:39 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Base on my searched from Microsoft Download Center, there seems no other Tools to disable it. You may need third party tools. But we cannot recommend any tools for your. That’s out of our duty.  Thank you for your understanding.

Regards,

Leo   Huang

Leo Huang

• Marked as answer by Leo Huang Tuesday, December 13, 2011 1:09 AM
    Monday, December 5, 2011 2:39 AM
  • Hello,

I understand your concerns but finding a fix to this issue is critical to us. Is there any registry settings or tweaks that are available or would be recommended by Microsoft in order to bypass the automatic detection of Serial Mouses at Windows bootup sequence?

Regards,
    GPUBamboo 

Thursday, December 15, 2011 4:16 AM
  • In my opinion this is a Microsoft issue. This is the Microsoft operating system detecting a serial device & determining that it is a Microsoft Mouse. 

This issue should be very well known to Microsoft - it has been a problem since Windows 2000.  In general, this issue comes up with many kinds of devices which emit serial data continuously.  Our company installs systems that work with industrial scales, and it is very easy to reproduce this problem.   We have raised the issue on a number of forums, and I have actually engaged Microsoft Tech Support to come up with a fix (which they refused to do).

We are very unhappy with Microsofts attitude towards what is a very serious problem for us.

Wednesday, February 29, 2012 9:07 PM
  • Try this tool, just made it, works similar to COMDisable, but also works on Win7. No warranty, but works fine here :-)

http://www.options.no/tmp/SerMouseDisable.zip

You will need to be an administrator (I also have UAC off, dont know if that is needed).
    The tool is using VB6 runtime files.

It turns off serenum enumeration for selected COM ports, e.g. for COM1 these settings are added:

HKLM\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Enum\ACPI\PNP0501\1\DeviceParameters\SkipEnumerations: 0xFFFFFFFF
    HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\ACPI\PNP0501\1\DeviceParameters\SkipEnumerations: 0xFFFFFFFF

Have fun!
    Regards,

Gard

Thursday, May 3, 2012 8:50 PM
  • In my opinion this is a Microsoft issue. This is the Microsoft operating system detecting a serial device & determining that it is a Microsoft Mouse. 

This issue should be very well known to Microsoft - it has been a problem since Windows 2000.  In general, this issue comes up with many kinds of devices which emit serial data continuously.  Our company installs systems that work with industrial scales, and it is very easy to reproduce this problem.   We have raised the issue on a number of forums, and I have actually engaged Microsoft Tech Support to come up with a fix (which they refused to do).

We are very unhappy with Microsofts attitude towards what is a very serious problem for us.

I understand your frustration! I picked up a VERY nasty ADS virus from Russia, No ani-virus detcts it microsoft told me "Upgrade to "win8" it will solve the problem". Well, It was worse, now files disappear by the hundred! Before they only moved to another directory! (Which alone was VERY frustrating!) And the computer actually LIES to me! (no B.S. these guys are so good that they cause "fake" dialog boxes to apper and lie to the user!)

The support people had an Engineer do about two hours on a "remote desktop session" commented on how skillfull the programmers must be! Then told me he would investigate and return my call (actually took several calls to get an Engineer). He never called back, now Microsoft wants me to mail them my laptop and pay $100 to "repair it". That's what you said "win8" would do! Got back (I consider priceless) my 80GB of mp3's ! I hope you find a solution, I will definitely help if I see something I know about!  Thanks RayP.

• Edited by Psylosyphyr Saturday, February 23, 2013 9:17 AM I Agree Common sense is needed up there!
    Saturday, February 23, 2013 9:09 AM
  • Sorry for the time it took too write too me as I now know A hacker is personally controlling my PC, he has changed the root \\./c:  so i'm looking in C:(C:) and he has rewritten reports from virus scanners, and created cmd's and shortcuts so that There seems to be no cure! I cannot even boot win * now It takes a new rescue CD made on a different machine to start win7pro, they only work one time! He commits Felonies then laughs at me and sends notes like "Catch Me haha," Microsoft sends me through a loop of automated help that is USELESS in this situation. As I can rarely even boot up and have no money due to an injury causing a disability. What I did have on credit cards has been wiped. I can't pay the $100 per hr they want to fix a product I bought on their word in December. I was told "Win8" will not be affected! Now they have what little cashh I had, And just do'nt care! I am losing my sanity! trying to fix this, I cannot print, So I have 3 tablets of notes that I don't know how to assemble into an answer. I borrowed a CD that looked like it would have all the tools to fix, He ruined it! I found answers on forums but cannot follow teir instructions as I get shutdown or can't save the tool or macine locks up. He is using the microphone and so can hear my bedroom where PC is, Has keyloggers so passwords are a waste and the registry is completly setup to his needs I am unable to access any delete or rewrite in regedit.

That Is really the tip of the iceberg!

Tahnks Ray P. 530-261-0295 psylosyfer@htomail.com        I would be GREATLY appreciative of a way to LOCK him out and regain control soI can apply tools and do a repair proccess, I had to withdraw from college, over this, As I cannot attend online classes! I wanted to learn a skill to work from home but it look's like SSI and no life at this point!  

Thanks again, I included my phone # in case I cannot read forums or Email.

Tuesday, February 26, 2013 8:24 PM
  • Hi,

Regards,

Leo   Huang

Leo Huang

Thank You but I cannot download or open anything that the hacker does not allow! So I tried but no help! I bought win8 at the word of MNsoft "It would be immune" Now htye want $99 per hour to help! I had a 4.0GPA starting my second year, Now, I see suicide as my future, I will not sit in front of a TV on painkillers!  For life! This gets solved, so I can finish my reducation, or I am sitting on the train tracks!

Tuesday, February 26, 2013 8:32 PM
  • Hi All,

Is a touch pad in a gateway laptop a "serial mouse" as I am being actively tortured! It realy is too the point where I am missing a semester, AND there is NO WAY I can stop this guy?

The Train track thing is not a joke I figure It will be painless, then microsoft will get some sweet publicity about their part in this pointless waste of my life!  But, as I said, I will not take a bunch of pain killers, then gel infront of the TV. That is not living!

I will make a very nice letter for the news people and place the blame on Microsoft with a detailed explaination of what their product support did for me, who has been loyal to them since windows for workgroups 3.11.

Sincerely, Ray P.

Tuesday, February 26, 2013 8:42 PM
  • Try this tool, just made it, works similar to COMDisable, but also works on Win7. No warranty, but works fine here :-)

http://www.options.no/tmp/SerMouseDisable.zip

You will need to be an administrator (I also have UAC off, dont know if that is needed).
    The tool is using VB6 runtime files.

It turns off serenum enumeration for selected COM ports, e.g. for COM1 these settings are added:

HKLM\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Enum\ACPI\PNP0501\1\DeviceParameters\SkipEnumerations: 0xFFFFFFFF
    HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\ACPI\PNP0501\1\DeviceParameters\SkipEnumerations: 0xFFFFFFFF

Have fun!
    Regards,

Gard
    Thank you SO much, I will try to download and run this tool before my "Master" stops me. I probably will not be able to try it, I cannot burn a disk I don't know if I have VB6 Runtime I downloaded Visual Studio 2012, But it has been torn apart and it's peices moved.  My printer won't work HP gave me Emergency minimal drivers, Still no print.

Well, I did get it and it ran, the report waas "no serial ports are detected," But I really do appreciate the try, It is Like what I need, Loaded and ran before he had a chance to stop it! If I could find a tool that would allow me to unlock My registry and other files, That was quick like yours And of course turn off the internet Throughout the repair, Maybe I could do something?

Thanks  Ray p.

Tuesday, February 26, 2013 9:00 PM