none
Internet Explorer 8 causes system to freeze (64-bit Windows 7 Ultimate)

General discussion

• This is a "Problem Solved" comment.  Anyway, hope it is solved.

Symptom:  Randomly when using IE 8 the system will freeze forcing me to use the power button to shut down.

Apparently, Windows 7 Ultimate installs both a 32-bit and a 64-bit version of the browser.  Apparently, my system freezes are associated with the 32-bit version.  After switching to the 64-bit version I have experienced no system freezes.

Discovered the two versions by accident.  Opened the start menu and both versions were listed.  One was marked X64.  Checked the "about internet explorer" and sure enough, one is 64-bit and the other is not.

Strange.  Interesting.

Saturday, October 31, 2009 7:30 PM

All replies

• The 64-bit browser does freeze Windows 7.  Just not as frequently as does the 32-bit browser.

Oh, well.

Everything else works peachy keen and is highly enjoyable to use.
    Sunday, November 01, 2009 5:33 PM
  • Hi,

Most of Internet Explorer 8 hangs can be related to third party adds-on compatibility or third party program installed. When occuring with this kind of issue, you can either run Internet Explorer 8 in no adds-on mode or run Internet Explorer 8 in Safe Mode with networking to test if the issue occurs. Moreover, it is recommended to check Windows Update to get the latest updates and reset Internet Explorer 8 to narrow down the issue. If the issue persists, please also boot in Clean boot to test.

BTW, please also refer to the following KBs. It may be helpful.

Internet Explorer 8 may stop responding or crash when a certain version of AVG Safe Search is installed

Internet Explorer 8 may stop responding or crash when a certain version of PPLive is installed

How to fix incompatibility problems between Internet Explorer 8 and the Google Toolbar

Internet Explorer 8 crashes, hangs or restarts while opening or closing tabs

Best Regards
    Dale

Monday, November 02, 2009 2:13 AM
  • Thanks, Dale;

Microsoft has just today released an update for IE8 on Windows 7 64-bit computers.  Have downloaded and installed the update.

So far . . . LOOKING GOOD!

Guess I'll know for sure by this time tomorrow.

K.
    Tuesday, November 03, 2009 11:48 PM
  • Still LOOKING GOOD . . . so far.

Have not noticed the slowdown others have reported here and in other places.

Guess I'll again set IE as default browser and hope that whatever caused the browser/system freezes really has gone away.

K.
    Thursday, November 05, 2009 4:06 AM
  • I'm glad it works normally. I hope the issue is gone as well. BTW, could you provide the update KB number or link in this thread? This may help community user occurring the similar issue to get the solution fast.

Best Regards
    Dale

Thursday, November 05, 2009 7:27 AM
  • I had the same problem with W7 proffesional 64bit.  Flashplayer was causing this for me.  When I un-installed it thru the programs in controll panel it showed it was removed and actually it really wasnt.  Theres a "uninstall tool download" that I ran and used,  then reinstalled flashplayer and the IE8 stopped responding issue hasnt returned since.  Might want to try that.
    Saturday, November 07, 2009 7:31 PM
  • Well, most of the links you mention is for XP

Here is my deal, I have just installed Windows 7 on a brand new computer and installed it from scratch without all the preinstalled ____.
    I have much less programs installed than I had on my old XP and no ad ons in IE 8.
    Besides from an anti-virus that worked perfectly on my XP and that is windows 7 comp. my IE keeps freezing up after a bit and I have to restart IE.
    I happens with all sorts of web pages.
    I have reset IE settings and all, but nothing seems to work except Im 5 min from going back to my old trusted XP or scrap IE all together.

I cant be the only one that has this issue as I see others that have the same issue on different boards.

So should I be patient and think of windows 7 as still in "beta" and you are working on solutions or should I just scrap it right away ?
    Sunday, November 08, 2009 1:01 AM
  • sympathy, been wading through the same stuff, BUT, only sometimes. Wish I could tell you a solution. I went to set explorer back to default but noticed things are sort of working and I seriously suspect that the problem isn't win7. (It may be IExplorer and it may be websites themselves)Lucky for me that I hardly use the web. There is a little yellow triangle in the bottom left corner of each page saying error on page.... sometimes I have pulled up the source and fixed the page just so I could have a look. Still, reset to default in internet explorer, disable all accelerators and if in doubt reboot. If you have the time join me , just for fun....counting how many of the errors are in JAVAscript.
    Sunday, November 08, 2009 7:45 AM
  • I'm glad it works normally. I hope the issue is gone as well. BTW, could you provide the update KB number or link in this thread? This may help community user occurring the similar issue to get the solution fast.

Best Regards
    Dale

Strike two!

Turns out the "fix" must have been a coincidence, and a temporary one at that.  Why the symptoms took so long to return is as mysterious as whatever is causing the lock ups.  Now I have new symptoms.

System froze upon waking up from sleep.  Had to power off to reboot.

System froze when browsing through messageboards looking for solution.  Had to power off to reboot.

System froze while Norton Internet Security 2010 was performing a background task.  Had to power off to reboot.

System froze when viewing DVD with Cyberlink's PowerDVD 9 Ultra.  Had to power off to reboot.

No freezes occur when using any program within MS Office Professional 2007 or Adobe CS4 Master Collection.  No problems printing to a wireless HP Photosmart printer.  No lockups when using Firefox or Safari . . . only IE8.

Don't want to swing and miss again, so all I'll say is that I suspect a combination of Norton's NIS 2010's Anti-virus component and SLI settings for my dual Nvidia Geforce GTX 280 cards.  Plus whatever modules they interact with inside Windows 7.

Color settings are set to use Nvidia color settings, not the player settings.  But, edge enhancement and noise reduction is set to "Use the video player setting."  Using the Nvidia settings DEFINITELY locked up PowerDVD and froze the system.

Selecting "Do not use SLI" seems to have corrected lock ups when awaking from sleep.  PhysX GPU acceleration remains enabled.

Maybe the next Nvidia driver (192?), a future Windows 7 update, a PowerDVD 9 patch, and a NIS 2010 patch will collectively, permanently eliminate the system freezes.

I remain . . . perplexed and clueless.
    K.
    Sunday, November 08, 2009 10:10 PM
  • Uninstalled Norton Internet Security 2010.  Following removal, ran the Norton product removal tool to make certain the product was removed.

Reason for removing NIS 2010:  logs (critical and error messages) started reporting more than "unexpected" shutdowns.  Most alarming was an error message telling me the C: drive (my Windows 7 OS) NTSF was corrupted.  Ran chkdsk /r.  No problems found.  Ran Dell's pre-boot (bios level) diagnostic.  No problems found.  Also reported in the logs were harddisk controller failures mostly for drive 5 and once for drive 3.  Have no idea how Windows 7 identifies my two internal, my two external and one attached flash as numerical drives.

Left my Nvidio Geforce GTX 280 settings as described in my previous message.

Windows Firewall took over at default settings.  Replaced NIS 2010 with Microsoft Security Essentials.  Have no idea whether or not NIS 2010 is responsible for any of this.

Can't wait to see what comes next . . .

So very interesting . . . for a layman to wrestle with.

Oh, BTW, this message is being posted via IE 8.

K.

Monday, November 09, 2009 5:11 PM
  • Just to see what happens . . .

I've again enabled SLI for my dual GTX 280s.

No system freezes during the last two hours of continual operation.

Best,
    K.
    Monday, November 09, 2009 7:30 PM
  • System freeze can be related to corrupted system files, incompatible drivers or conflicting programs. To narrow down this kind of issue, I recommend you to check the event log and perform a Clean Boot.

Best Regards
    Dale
    Tuesday, November 10, 2009 9:16 AM
  • Thanks, Dale;

I believe my problem was indeed mostly caused by "corrupted system files."  Kinda a long story but might be instructive to others, though my solution specifically relates to those who attempted to create a dual boot system and failed.

I believe my specific problem is solved . . . mostly by accident.  It was solved in the process of troubleshooting a new problem.  I have gone three days without a single freeze while performing any of the tasks which might randomly induce a system lock up on my computer.

The problem was solved in the process of troubleshooting a new problem.  All of a sudden I could not access the internet.  System messages simply said things like "unidentifed network," "IP does not match," and "No connection."  Ran the network adapter troubleshooting wizard.  No joy.  Tried as many reasonable suggestions as I found on this and other messageboards (using my wife's computer).  No joy.  Did clean boots.  No joy.  Looked and searched the event logs.  No joy.

Desperate, I reinstalled Windows 7.  No joy.  Previously, I had turned off and rebooted my router and swapped out the ethnernet cable.  No joy.

Using a back up image from a time when the network adapter worked, I restored Windows 7 and all my programs.  No joy and the system still froze up, sometimes before the logon screen, sometimes on shutdown.  At one point Windows simply would not load.  So I placed my repair disk into a DVD drive and booted from it.  First thing out of the box the repair program found an unspecified problem with the startup file and the missing Vista 32-bit OS and asked me if I wanted to restore it.  YES.  I did.  I rebooted and up pops the dual boot menu.

Originally, Vista 32-bit was on drive C: and I installed Windows 7 to a clean, unused drive.  Upon a "successful" Windows 7 64-bit installation I had expected the dual boot menu to appear.  It did not.   I shrugged it off.  I should not have.

My network adapter still could not connect to the internet but all the system freezes seemed to disappear.  Went into Vista and there was no internet connection, just an unidentified network.

With no other ideas and somewhat desperate, from within Windows 7 I disabled the network adapter and rebooted.  (Disabling seemed to induce a freeze of its own though.  Used Task Manager to shut down the application.)  When Windows 7 launched again, the network adapter was disabled.  I clicked on "enable" and waited a long time before using Task Manager to shut down the application.  Rebooted.

Voila!  I had internet access!  No problem!  Have not experienced a single freeze while using Internet Explorer in circumstances most likely to cause it and my system to lock up.  Though I doubt the program had anything directly to do with the freezes, I have not yet reinstalled Norton Internet Security.  Will do that when absolutely certain NIS does not conflict with any part of my Windows 7 installation.

I think I do have a remaining problem which might have contributed to IE8's and my random system freezes.  At some point during several preboot diagnostic tests, at bios level, the system froze at different points during the extended memory tests.  Had to power off to recover.  The Windows 7 dual boot menu features a memory diagnostic.  At different percentages of completion on the first test the system froze and I had to power off to recover.

Suspect I need to change the memory settings in bios.  They are presently set at the system defaults associated with DDR3 for this computer:  i.e., 1067MHz at 1.5v.  Four Corsair XMS3 1600MHz odules were purchased from DELL, my XPS 730's manufacturer, and were listed as compatible with both the XPS 430 and XPS 730.  Even had a technician walk me through installation and testing, module by module, but we never looked at the timing in bios.  Not so much interested in overclocking to the full 1600 MHz but want a stable 1333 MHz, or even 1067 for that matter, which completes and passes both bios level and Windows memory diagnostics.  BUT, I'm not going to touch it until I'm relatively certain how to "adjust" the settings.  Kinda intimidating.

Thanks,
    K.
    Sunday, November 15, 2009 6:33 AM
  • Changed BIOS level memory voltage settings for the XMS Corsair modules to 1.8v IAW Corsair module specs.  Will hold off making further BIOS level changes until I'm a bit more confident and comfortable with my system's BIOS level memory/overclocking options. (Dell XPS 730 H2C Nvidia I790 Ultra)

Immediate result of the voltage change was my system sucessfully completed both the lengthy and exhausting Dell Pre-Boot System Assessment and Windows's less lengthy and less exhausting Memory Diagnostic. No problems/errors found.  Whee!  Took a couple hours.  Kept staring at the monitor waiting for it to freeze up.

Next thing I'm gonna do is reinstall NIS 2010 to see what happens.

Best,
    K
    Monday, November 16, 2009 1:48 PM
  • This worked for me!  Why didn't I see this entry two weeks ago when I was going crazy,( but then I really didn't know what an "add-on" was.)  I had to discover it for myself!  Internet Explorer 8 loads a bunch of add-ons with it.  These, to some extent, also affect any browser you are using, so, for example, Firefox windows were freezing as well as IE8, but to a lesser extent.  Go into "tools" in your IE8 browser window, then "manage add-ons", then disable the add-ons.  I should have done it one at a time and tested after each one.  Instead, I disabled them all at once.  I noticed almost immediately that the internet windows were no longer freezing up.  I started to "enable" them one at a time, but as soon as I got to "Shockwave Flash 9.1.01", the windows froze again.  After hard booting, most of the add-ons disappeared from the list.  Right now I only have some Microsoft and Google add-ons enabled, but IE8 has been behaving itself and is actually pretty zippy.  The windows seem a little clearer than Firefox.  Don't know what I have messed up by getting rid of all the add-ons, but at this point I don't care.  When I run into something that does not work, I will download add-ons one at a time.  Hope this helps someone.  It took me two weeks of screaming to finally find this out, and Dell tech reps did not know it either. 
    Wednesday, November 25, 2009 12:49 AM
  • Add-ons were mentioned as a potential cause by Dale Qiao, in the initial response to this topic...
    Wednesday, November 25, 2009 1:31 AM
  • I am running windows 7 64bit ultimate on several computers

Adobe flash player is crashing ie8 32bit browser. its the only 32bit browser i have installed. if i uninstall flash then the crashing stops. nothing else has worked so far. nothing.
    all the systems are up to date.

firefox64 and ie864 are unaffected due to no 64bit flash.

this is definately an adobe flash player issue. again.

Wednesday, November 25, 2009 5:04 AM
  • I agree with above.  Flash player was my issue with "IE8 freezing issue"    but have since not had any freezing issues since uninstalling flashplayer WITH the uninstaller for flashplayer and reinstalling.   As I said above, when I uninstalled flashplayer from the control panel, it showed it was removed but it really wasnt. The uninstaller tool was the only thing that has actually worked for me.
    Wednesday, November 25, 2009 6:51 AM
  • Hi,

i am having adobe flash issues, i had rc & beta versions prior to install FULL VERSION and it worked fine NOT A SINGLE ISSUE. now flash does not work it just freezezs not responding.
    downloaded new version from adobe as well no change

interestingly enough though once it enters this cycle MCE & WMP will not respond or open until the pc is rebooted

using and tried 32 & 64 ultimate

regards

luke

HARDWARE
    INTEL E6750
    MB: DG45FC
    ONBOARD VID & SOUND
    BLURAY
    4GB
    4X1TB HDD

Wednesday, November 25, 2009 8:57 AM
  • It does work.   Go to adobe website and download the uninstaller,  uninstall flashplayer using the uninstaller that you downloaded,  "this is a must"     reboot your computer and then go back to the website and re-install flashplayer.  Has fixed the IE8 not responding issue for me.   Trust me   it will work but you have to do just what I said.
    Wednesday, November 25, 2009 9:57 AM
  • I recently purchased a new computer upon finding my beloved XP would soon be outdated and no longer supported for updating.  The computer I purchased came with VISTA and the promise of Windows7 when available.  I set up the new computer and when I was just starting to fumble my way through Vista my Windows7 disks came in the mail.  Soooo I installed Windows7 and the crashing, freezing and problems started.  When I installed the new OS I also updated to IE8.  Before this no problems, after only problems.  I am not technically minded and do not understand the methods of Safe Boot and such.  While I'm not a moron I do not pick things up like I did when younger.  I am very tempted to just go back to Vista and IE7 and forget the whole mess until they make a patch or something.  I am really surprised that this glitch got through to the public because it seems to be a major issue to me.   Any easy to understand and apply solutions would be greatly appreciated!
    Wednesday, November 25, 2009 4:45 PM
  • Uninstall adobe flash player using the uninstall tool and restart the computer. After restart install adobe flash player and check if the problem persists.

Download uninstall tool form the following link http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/141/tn_14157.html                  Here ya go    if you cant click on it   copy and paste in address bar

Wednesday, November 25, 2009 7:52 PM
  • i have a new clean install of windows 7 64bit ultimate on a new hard drive.

flash player is the only thing that i have installed into the system (installed today 27/11/2009).

when i visit a flash site IE8 32bit crashes.
    IE8 64bit is not affected.

i have used adobes uninstall tool to remove flash and used adobes installer to install flash again - no change IE8 32bit still crashes.

adobes flash player is the culprit.

uninstalling and reinstalling flash hasn't solved anything for me yet. but i am starting to enjoy not having it.

Friday, November 27, 2009 2:30 AM
  • My Windows 7 configuration is "now" EXTREMELY stable!  (Knock on hardwood.)

Looking back through this and other similar threads, sure looks like there is not a one-size-fits-all solution.  As you can tell from my floundering posts here, there sure wasn't one for me.

Never had a problem with Flash Player.  But, for those of you who are having problems with Flash and system freezes and have Nvidia video cards, Nvidia has within the last few days updated their driver from version 191 to version 195.  The Nvidia homepage "Flash" splash specifically tauts version 195 as an enhancement for Flash 10.1 (which is still in Beta).  Kinda implies it also addresses other issues with Flash 10.0.

Every once in a Very, Very Great While I will still get a system freeze while using IE8, but it is so infrequent and the logs tell so little, that the best I can do is try to pay attention to where the freezes occur.  Flash is never involved.  Messageboards are.  My current suspicion is that Norton Internet Security might be involved somehow.

Good luck to all.  I'm paying close attention to everything you guys try and write about.

Thanks,
    K.
    Monday, November 30, 2009 4:58 PM
  • FLASH ISSUE RESOLVED WITH UPDATE !

clean install of win7 64bit ultimate.

i have updated to adobe flash version 10.0.42.34 (released yesterday).
    IE8 32bit has not crashed in the last 24 hours (finally).

hopefully this update will resolve other peoples issues with flash crashing IE8.

now to wait for 64bit flash so i can stop using ie8 32bit.

Thursday, December 10, 2009 2:07 AM
  • Im not seeing any update on there website    can you provide a link?
    Thursday, December 10, 2009 7:48 PM
  • I've had a different experience. thann Kwan_48.    IE on Windows7 locks up on BOTH the 32 and 64-bit versions.  It's frankly miserable.  It's happened since I took my new Sony laptop out of the box.  One rep at Sony said the issue is a real and common problem.  All the other reps say that this information (frequency of OS problem with their computers) is confidential and say that the rep "should not have told me that."   I appreciate that he did.  Still, not one person can help me over there.  Had I not waited past the 30 day window to return it (trusted Sony as they "tried" to work to help), I'd be in my first Mac right now (hate to say it, but it's true).

The IE freezing issue is VERY common.  Am I the only one offended by the fact that we're all having to rely on each other to validate the issue and try and resolve it?  Has social networking become a cop-out for Microsoft's (and in my case, Sony's) need for accountability?  Sounds like it.

Thursday, December 31, 2009 10:01 PM
  • Have the same issue with Sony Vaio Z11, but now with IE9 beta (64bit). Had to remove it, crashed my PC once a day.

Saturday, October 09, 2010 11:08 PM
  • My girlfriend's laptop was crashing on any Flash content in all browsers (well, Chrome and Firefox anyways). It was Windows 7 starter 32-bit. I disabled all sound enhancements and disabled hardware acceleration in Flash, and that seems to have resolved it.
    Tuesday, November 30, 2010 2:49 AM
  • So, this is what happened to me. Whenever I try to drag my mouse cursor, my whole system will pause and nothing will respond, except a reboot.
    Is that what happened to you? Previously I thought it was the work of malware, but Avast and Malwarebytes did not show up any results.

Sunday, April 01, 2012 6:45 PM
  • I am also having this problem (using IE 9 on Windows 7 Home Premium).  It does not happen with Firefox.  Everything appears to be working fine and then I do something on IE (open a new tab or go to a link) and that is it.  Complete freeze.  Cntl alt delete does nothing, the clock does not change, etc.  Only powering down will work and of course there is no error report since it is a cold power off.  I am working now in safe mode and cannot get it to fail.  I just noticed after reading what is posted here that I may be using a 32 but IE (it is in X86 program files).    I will try what I have found here and report back if anything is successful.

Donna Kat

Saturday, March 16, 2013 10:04 AM