none
All Surface RT devices boot up to a Black Screen after installing Optional Update RRS feed

• Question

• This is Windows 8.1 on Windows RT, no boot managers and no x86 tools.

KB3033055 is update 3 for RT. It is presented as an optional update.

The Security Monthly Quality Rollups in this are for Meltdown and Spectre and the problem started with the 2018-01 Security Monthly Quality Rollup, KB4056895 and continued with the,

2018-2 and 2018-3 Security Monthly Quality Rollup KB4088876

2018-4 Security Monthly Quality Rollup KB4103725

Updates on Surface RT systems are automatic.

After installing the optional update on fully updated system the RT boots up to a black screen with a blinking WiFi icon with no way to continue the startup. Users must download the Surface RT recovery image from Microsoft, restore the system, download and install over 250 updates and lose all personal data.

Users have found that if KB3033055 is installed before the Security Monthly Quality Rollup the boot problem does not occur. Same applies the downloadable version KB3097667

This problem has been ongoing since January and has affected many frustrated users seeking help as can be seen in the Surface RT, Surface 2, Windows RT and Windows RT 8.1 community on answers.microsoft.  This problem will probably continue to the future if nothing is done.

There is no way that I have found to feedback this information so I am presenting it here in hopes it will find its way to the software engineers for 8.1 updates.

• Edited by garym123 Friday, May 11, 2018 5:41 PM
    Monday, March 26, 2018 3:53 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Since we have limited resource about Surface RT, we have already feedback the problem to the Product team via e-mail. And if there is any update, I will let you know.

Thanks for your time.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by garym123 Tuesday, March 27, 2018 3:33 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by garym123 Friday, May 11, 2018 5:27 PM
    Tuesday, March 27, 2018 7:33 AM
  • Thanks

I realize there are not many of these devices around being taken care of by IT staff that would speak up to problems like this. 

Tuesday, March 27, 2018 3:54 PM
  • Hi,

I have received the e-mail from product team, said that they areare looking into this issue .

Since 3097667 is dependency before 3033055 is installed, so right now the only workaround is to manually install 3097667 before anything else. If there is any updates, I will post here to let you know.

Thanks for your time and understanding.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, March 28, 2018 9:03 AM
  • Thanks

I realize there are not many of these devices around being taken care of by IT staff that would speak up to problems like this. 

I also have problem but on my Surface 2 original not pro  32bit
    Friday, March 30, 2018 3:48 AM
  • Thanks garym123 for keeping this alive ... my Surface 2 problems are the same for some time just found the new post here chain of problems just have me set it aside and use a different machine although I prefer the better wifi stability and screen of Surface 2 vs. smart phone.

cheers db-two

Friday, March 30, 2018 3:53 AM
  • Update: an Official Fix is Coming!

According to Barb Bowman, a Microsoft Community moderator, the Surface Support team is aware of the problems and working to push a fix for Surface RT/2 soon.

Everyone:
    I’ve been in touch with Surface Supportability who have been working with the Windows Team on this. Just received an email which stated “we think we know root cause and that we are working to push a fix out quickly but don’t have an exact timeframe..”

surfacetip.com/install-windows-rt-8-1-update-3-2017/
    Friday, March 30, 2018 4:01 AM
  • Update: an Official Fix is Coming!

According to Barb Bowman, a Microsoft Community moderator, the Surface Support team is aware of the problems and working to push a fix for Surface RT/2 soon.

Everyone:
    I’ve been in touch with Surface Supportability who have been working with the Windows Team on this. Just received an email which stated “we think we know root cause and that we are working to push a fix out quickly but don’t have an exact timeframe..”

surfacetip.com/install-windows-rt-8-1-update-3-2017/
    I think this is a response from last year when users were having problems getting KB3033055 installed
    Saturday, March 31, 2018 2:44 PM
  • I also have problem but on my Surface 2 original not pro  32bit

Post your problem with the Surface 2 at answers.microsoft, surface, surface 2

I can't post a link.

I helped three users get their devices running this weekend.

Monday, April 2, 2018 5:22 PM
  • Post your problem with the Surface 2 at answers.microsoft, surface, surface 2

I think Surface 2 is RT with 8.1 as its base OS but it did not have the most recent firmware and it did not have 8.1. Update (KB2919355).

FWIW I see no sign of KB3097667* but I do have KB3033055.  OTOH I have KB3000850 showing as my "most recent cumulative update" (top of View your update history) which is absolutely false.  I have asked before of people who are trying the Refresh procedure:  what if anything is showing for them on that line?  Also I have wondered about how updated firmware levels get reflected in the refreshed OS.

*transcribed proof

PS C:\windows> LS -Re -Fi *3097667* -Fo -EA:SilentlyContinue | sort LastWriteTime | ft LastWriteTime, Length, FullName -AutoSize -Wrap
    PS C:\windows>

(Nothing returned by query.  Queries results for all of the other KB numbers mentioned here are dramatically different.)

BTW I think this part of the KB3033055 should be clarified if there is a dependency

<quote>

More Information
              To get the updated Language Interface Pack (LIP) resources, please install update 3097667.

</quote>

And there is no dependency implied there either IMO

<quote>
    This update provides the refreshed Microsoft Language Interface Pack (LIP) resources for Windows 8.1 RT Update 3 (3033055).

</quote>

My Language is En-US and En-CA.  Maybe that's why I am not being offered KB3097667?

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Friday, April 6, 2018 2:41 PM
  • So how do I recover my wife's RT2 so that it's usable again?

Volume Down + On/Off isn't taking may anyplace useful.

Randy

Monday, April 9, 2018 7:57 PM
  • So how do I recover my wife's RT2 so that it's usable again?

Volume Down + On/Off isn't taking may anyplace useful.

Randy

answers.microsoft.com/en-us/surface/forum/surfwinrt-surfupdate/install-rt-updates-and-prevent-the-black-screen/914b69f2-54ec-4d7c-be38-5c5c3f1923f0?tm=1523305553476

put  www.  in front of it. I can't post a link here

First part is installing updates, second topic is using the downloadable image to restore the RT.

Monday, April 9, 2018 8:41 PM
  • answers.microsoft.com/en-us/surface/forum/surfwinrt-surfupdate/install-rt-updates-and-prevent-the-black-screen/914b69f2-54ec-4d7c-be38-5c5c3f1923f0?tm=1523305553476

That works in Edge.  It inserts the Https:// protocol prefix for us.  Your link is then fine.

However, all you need to do to be able to post links and images over here is get your userid approved.

BTW have you had a second look at the possibility of using DISM, e.g. diagnosing (or working around) the "tilde problem" some more?  <eg>

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Tuesday, April 10, 2018 12:15 PM
  • Security Monthly Quality Rollup updates continue with no resolution to this problem.

Microsoft says RT is still supported yet this problem continues. Is there no way to contact the group responsible for updates

Friday, May 11, 2018 5:35 PM
  • I have tried everything on here to get my surface RT working again with no luck.  I cannot even get it to reset using the recovery USB.  Has anyone heard if there is solution to this issue yet?
    Thursday, June 14, 2018 3:53 AM
  • The info is posted above

answers.microsoft.com/en-us/surface/forum/surfwinrt-surfupdate/install-rt-updates-and-prevent-the-black-screen/914b69f2-54ec-4d7c-be38-5c5c3f1923f0?tm=1523305553476

First part is installing updates, second topic is using the downloadable image to restore the RT.

Thursday, June 14, 2018 2:27 PM
  • The volume down boot has no effect and returns to the flashing Wifi icon therefore no ability to use USB recovery so I am in the same situation as Traci. Another M$ dud I fear.

Tuesday, June 19, 2018 11:37 AM
  • The volume down boot has no effect

Try disconnecting all peripherals and try to get into the special boot dialog that way?  Heh.  It doesn't work if you have a boot menu and only a screen cover for a keyboard.  Do you have a real keyboard you could use?  E.g. so you could press F8 while on the boot menu.

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Tuesday, June 19, 2018 3:18 PM
  • The volume down boot has no effect and returns to the flashing Wifi icon therefore no ability to use USB recovery so I am in the same situation as Traci. Another M$ dud I fear.

plug in USB recovery drive.  Make sure the device is off,  hold volume down and tap power, release volume down when surface logo appears
    Tuesday, June 19, 2018 6:39 PM