Blue Screen After Installing SP3 RRS feed

• Question

• I downloaded and installed SP3.

I had all previous windows updates up to date.

Upon restart, my pc boots fine to the windows xp load screen, then before the blue welcome screen, it flashes a blue screen of death and restarts my pc giving me the option of starting windows normally or in safe mode.  When I try to start it normally, same thing happens again and I get the blue screen of death and my pc restarts again.  I am able to load in safe mode with no problems.  I loaded in safe mode and did a system restore to go back to the point of right before SP3 was installed.  Now my pc is running normal again after uninstalling SP3. 

Now the blue screen of death flashes so quick that I have no chance of reading it to see what the error could be.

Here are my system stats:

OS Name Microsoft Windows XP Professional
    Version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2 Build 2600
    OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
    System Name JOHNNYMIXXXX
    System Manufacturer Compaq Presario 061
    System Model ED881AA-ABA SR1650NX NA580
    System Type X86-based PC
    Processor x86 Family 15 Model 47 Stepping 2 AuthenticAMD ~2188 Mhz
    BIOS Version/Date Phoenix Technologies, LTD  3.08, 9/13/2005
    SMBIOS Version 2.4
    Windows Directory C:\WINDOWS
    System Directory C:\WINDOWS\system32
    Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume2
    Locale United States
    Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "5.1.2600.2180 (xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158)"
    User Name JOHNNYMIXXXX\Compaq_Administrator
    Time Zone Eastern Daylight Time
    Total Physical Memory 1,536.00 MB
    Available Physical Memory 1.12 GB
    Total Virtual Memory 2.00 GB
    Available Virtual Memory 1.96 GB
    Page File Space 2.95 GB
    Page File C:\pagefile.sys

Video Card:

NVIDIA GeForce 6600 LE

Misc.:

Dynex Mouse

Compaq Easy Button Keyboard - Description Compaq PS2 Keyboard (2K - 3)

Basic Soundcard - Realtek AC'97 Audio

Basic Ethernet Card - Realtek RTL8139/810x Family Fast Ethernet NIC

CD DRIVE 1 - TSSTcorp CD/DVDW TS-H552L

CD DRIVE 2 - TSSTcorp CD-ROM  TS-H192C

Drive C:
    Description Local Fixed Disk
    Compressed No
    File System NTFS
    Size 225.37 GB (241,987,735,552 bytes)
    Free Space 112.20 GB (120,469,172,224 bytes)
    Volume Name PRESARIO
    Volume Serial Number 701A645A

Drive D:
    Description Local Fixed Disk
    Compressed No
    File System FAT32
    Size 7.50 GB (8,053,215,232 bytes)
    Free Space 995.80 MB (1,044,176,896 bytes)
    Volume Name PRESARIO_RP
    Volume Serial Number 4339FDA8

I have no anti-virus program running.

Please Help.

Thank You,

J Mix

Tuesday, March 11, 2008 12:44 AM

Answers

• Please follow the following steps to resolve this problem.

1. Restart your computer in Safe Mode.

For additional information about Safe Mode in Windows XP, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
    315222 A description of the Safe Mode Boot options in Windows XP
    2. Click Start, click Run, type regedit , and then click OK.
    3. Locate and then click the following registry key:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Intelppm
    4. In the right pane, right-click the Start entry, and then click Modify.
    5. In the Value data box, type 4 , and then click OK.
    6. Quit Registry Editor.
    7. Restart your computer.

Friday, March 14, 2008 12:21 PM

All replies

• Hey John
     quick few questions prior to the install of the sp3 rc2 did you check to see if the video card drivers are whql? SP3 rc2 sometimes kicks out the video card driver automatically.

Were there any yellow marked items under the device manager?
    Were youre chipset drivers the latest from nvidia or MB manufactor and signed? Is your chipset using S3 for the SB?

And finally to keep the blue screen up to see the error did you try to disable the automatic reboot try this here

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/helpandsupport/learnmore/russel_02may13.mspx

Error logging when running try turning on dr watson listed here
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310414

While in safe mode did you look at the
    windowsupdate log in the %windir%.
    Or the svcpack.log locate in the same directory?
    Some times there is something in setuperr log but not always.

Finally were the cpu drivers the latest from amd? and if you have x2 the clocksync driver?

*Bonus tip*
     For a quicker update I added www.microsoft.com www.windows.update.com to half the time it took to check my system out for the rc2 candidate upgrade. This is under the tools, internet options. area.
    (Edited in)

Also did you cheeck this thread to see if intel power management was added?

http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2612660&SiteID=17

Good luck if this solves your problem post back the results

Tuesday, March 11, 2008 8:33 AM
  •  johnnymixxxx.com wrote:
    I am able to load in safe mode with no problems.  I loaded in safe mode and did a system restore to go back to the point of right before SP3 was installed.  Now my pc is running normal again after uninstalling SP3.

Hi Johnny,

I assumed you're using Compaq Presario SR1650NX Desktop PC. Just a suggestion for you, can you update your motherboard BIOS, and the latest drivers found? The download page is at this url (http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareList?os=228&lc=en&cc=us&lang=en&dlc=en&product=1127352). Beware, it may not work or is the issue related to after you installed SP3, and please backup all your important files/documents before doing so.

Regards,

Thomas

Tuesday, March 11, 2008 10:19 AM
  • Hi Johny,

Can you please boot in safe mode and enable complete memory dump (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/316450)?

Please make sure the "automatically restart" option is unchecked.

That would give you a chance to look at the blue screen and capture the details.

Please share the details with us. Also confirm if a memory.dmp file is created in c:\windows

Thanks

Shashank

Tuesday, March 11, 2008 3:55 PM
  •  

All of my drivers are up to date including my video card and the driver Thomas was talking about.

I followed the steps to turn off automatic restart and here is the error I get on the blue screen:

*** STOP: 0X0000007E (0XC0000005, 0XBAAE8756, 0XBACC342C, 0XBACC3128)

I run safe mode and search for a .dmp file.  There isn't any.

I have once again done a system restore.

Wednesday, March 12, 2008 12:32 AM
  • *bump*

please don't forget about me.

Thursday, March 13, 2008 2:41 PM
  • Please follow the following steps to resolve this problem.

For additional information about Safe Mode in Windows XP, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
    6. Quit Registry Editor.

Friday, March 14, 2008 12:21 PM
  • OK, I followed your steps.

Then I re-installed SP3.

I'm still getting the Blue Screen Of Death error.

Same exact error:

*** STOP: 0X0000007E (0XC0000005, 0XBAAE8756, 0XBACC342C, 0XBACC3128)

I have now done my 4th system restore.

Next?

Monday, March 17, 2008 12:26 AM
  • You would need to follow the steps after SP3 update. SP3 plays around with the reg key and it needs to be set to 4 for a proper boot.

BTW can you let us know the value of the reg key HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\intelppm\Start on your

machine before SP3 update.

Please note the registry key. I think I mentioned an incorrect path in my previous post.

Thanks

Shashank

Monday, March 17, 2008 10:50 AM
  • SP3 plays around withe reg key and no one at MS has decided to fix that?

Now RC2?  Why?

Monday, March 31, 2008 7:32 PM
  • This issue is fixed in the subsequent builds of SP3.

Please try the RC2 Refresh build and this issue should not happen.

Thanks

Shashank

Tuesday, April 1, 2008 6:33 PM
  • Tuesday, April 1, 2008 7:17 PM
  • Are you trying to say that the issue happened to you on RC2 Refresh (5508) build?

Can you please confirm the registry key value and share the following log file in that case.

c:\windows\debug\setup\usdsh.log

Thanks

Shashank

shashank<dot>bansal<at>microsoft<dot>com

Wednesday, April 2, 2008 5:16 PM
  •  Shashank Bansal [MSFT] wrote:

Are you trying to say that the issue happened to you on RC2 Refresh (5508) build?

Can you please confirm the registry key value and share the following log file in that case.

c:\windows\debug\setup\usdsh.log

Thanks

Shashank

shashank<dot>bansal<at>microsoft<dot>com

Yes.

However I am back to working normal on SP2 and it is set to 1 now.

So why not 1 under SP3?

What does 1 or 4 mean.

My work notebook is a Intel and it is set to 0.

So I need an explanation first.

Thursday, April 3, 2008 2:48 AM
  • I did what you said and it worked.

Thank you.

However, they did not fix this prior to RC2....

Thursday, April 3, 2008 3:50 AM
  • I just got XP SP3 from Windows Update. I installed it successfully but I could not boot the computer after that. I got a blue screen that flashed so fast that I cannot read what it says. I found your post and tried your solution and it worked for me. The value was set to 1 when I saw it in SP3 Safe Mode. It worked after changing it to 4.
    Thank you.
    Wednesday, May 7, 2008 2:45 PM
  • I had the same problem, with an AMD Athlon 64 X2 computer from HP.

After installing Windows XP SP3 using the RELEASE version of SP3, my computer failed to boot with stop code 0x0000007E.

I was able to reboot in Safe mode. I tried removing some drivers (based on other Microsoft KBs) with no success. Then I found this thread.

Setting the value of Start to be 4 in the following key worked for me as well:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\intelppm

It's hard to believe this problem was found and documented in the release candidates, yet still exists in the actual release production version.

- Steve

Wednesday, May 7, 2008 5:40 PM
  • just updated to SP3 and now i have a non working computer. great work microsoft.

my windows just keep showing the bluescreen and reboot. it reboot so quickily till i cant even see the error shown!

i tried the gdi32.dll fix, still having the same *** reboot problem.

i can't boot into safemode, it keep showing this error

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)parition(2)windows\system32\blablalbah.exe and the list go on

now tell me, how to fix this damn problem
    Thursday, May 8, 2008 6:37 AM
  •  

This fix will work for all AMD computers were you are able to get into safe mode and in normal mode you get 0x0000007E. error.

Regards,

Pradeep R

Thursday, May 8, 2008 7:02 AM
  • I had the same problem.  It is truly amazing how this is conveniently overlooked.  I backed up everything before doing this *** and then set a restore point.  After the restore point wouldn't work spent too much time getting it back and am not going to bother until this issue is fixed.  Spent too much time already back-tracking before finding this.  Thanks to you MicroSkills.

Friday, May 9, 2008 2:53 PM
  • and believe it or not, the same thing happened when installing XP SP2 on AMD processor computers as noted here:
    http://www.runpcrun.com/0x0000007E
    the solutions there should work for both XP SP2 and XP SP3
    Friday, May 9, 2008 5:25 PM
  • I just wanted to thank you for you posting.  You're my hero of the day.  Your procedure fixed the problem on my desktop, for which I am very grateful.  I had already determined that I would have to remove the hard drive to offload the data and then run the recovery protocol to restore the OS.  Your fine work, however, made that unnecessary.

I had actually been looking for a solution to the problem XP3 caused on my ThinkPad laptop.  The laptop has two 512MB memory sticks installed.  Prior to installing XP3, the system could see all 1024MB of RAM.  After installing XP3, the system can see only 512MB.  I have not seen that problem reported anywhere thus far.  Have you seen it?  If not, I could start a new thread if you think that's the way to go.

FYI:  I downloaded and installed XP3 on both the desktop and the laptop on May 7.  The build reported when I perfromed your procedure on the desktop was "Microsoft (R) Windows XP (R) (Build 2600.xpsp.080413-211: Service Pack 3)", so I am assuming this is the same build that was downloaded and installed on the laptop.  The laptop is running XP Professional, Version 2002. (The desktop is running XP Media Center Edition, Version 2002).

If this is a problem you think you can address and you need additional information, please let me know.

Sincerely,

David Dworsky

Saturday, May 10, 2008 7:18 PM
  • i cant seem to boot my pc in safe mode, im usin dell 9200 pc. and the article 315222 cant be accessed by me since it asks for a user name and password...i need a fix man help plz!!!

i shudnt have installed sp3...how stupid of me?!?!

Monday, May 12, 2008 6:27 AM
  • Hi
    Can you try these steps below?
    1)      Unplug all the USB devices attached with the machine and try to boot into sp3.
    2)      Boot using a recovery/winpe CD and replace the following files with corresponding files in c:\windows\\$NtServicePackUninstall$
          NOTE: Please backup the files you replace to some other location first.

a) c:\windows\system32\drivers\usbport.sys with c:\windows\$NtServicePackUninstall\usbport.sys.
                 b) c:\windows\system32\drivers\usbohci.sys with c:\windows\$NtServicePackUninstall\usbohci.sys.
                 c)  c:\windows\system32\drivers\usbuhci.sys with c:\windows\$NtServicePackUninstall\usbuhci.sys.

regards
    Ravi Sastry Kadali
    Tuesday, May 13, 2008 3:15 AM
  • Thanks for this post. After Installing and restoring 3 times I ran accross this post. It was not fixed in subsequent builds of SP3. But I tried the registry key settin of 4 and that worked with my AMD Processor.

Thursday, May 15, 2008 2:13 AM
  •  Shashank Bansal [MSFT] wrote:

This issue is fixed in the subsequent builds of SP3.

Thanks

Shashank

This is not fixed as of today. I was finally able to get SP3 to load after 3 loads and restores, when I found this post. The registry key was 1 before I changed it to 4, before loading SP3 on the 4th try. Checked registry again before rebooting and it was still at 4 and rebooted and finished installing with no problem. Compaq Presario with AMD Processor.

Thursday, May 15, 2008 2:23 AM
  • Hi

I have had the same problem when installing SP3 on a Sony Vavo laptop and a Dell

The only way I fixed my problem was to reinstall of the OS and only do SP2 updates.

At this time I am going to repair my Dell laptop and then install of SP3 with out doing any SP2 updates.

I will update you latter

Graham Broomfield

This was the feed back from Sony

Thank you for contacting us 

There are some issues with SP3 when trying to update from Widnwos XP with no service Pack (Widnows XP Gold). There should be no issue upgrading fromm Windows XP SP1 or SP2. 
    However, if you are experiencing problems with SP3, try to uninstall it  through add/remove programs on your unit and reinstalling it. 

If you still have the Blue screen appearing on your unit, it usually displays an error message (Eg. 0x0000000) 
    If you can provide us with that error code we can further assist you. 

I look forward to hearing from you 

Regards 
    Jonas 
    Sony Vaio Team

Monday, May 19, 2008 9:58 AM
  • If you have an HP AMD processor system you may want to read the following thread about an XP SP3 patch that HP is providing, the patch must be installed before installing the SP3 update.

http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=3361271&SiteID=17

Monday, May 19, 2008 4:49 PM
  •  Butcer wrote:
    Great job you incompetent  scriptkiddies at microsoft i cant belive you  guys will keep your jobs after this , what kind of a major fuckupp is  this?  Did you ***es not even test this beta(alpha) before you released
    Sunday, May 25, 2008 10:56 AM
  •  

Can you please mention the hardware configuration?

- Are you using an AMD processor based machine? Please refer to http://support.microsoft.com/kb/888372

- Are you using an ASUS ALI motherboard?

Would a safe mode boot succeed?

If none of the above, then please boot with "automatic reboot disabled" - A choice on the same screen as the Safe mode.

This should give you a blue screen with a bugcheck code and details. Please share the same with us.

Thanks

Shashank

Monday, May 26, 2008 6:17 AM
  • This is my update to the problem with SP3

I have found the following works ok,

I have installed a new copy of XP with SP2 on a dell C610 Intel laptop and i have not installed any SP2 updates, I then installed the SP3 and things are ok.

It looks like the problem is when you have a PC with SP2 installed and all the updates for SP2 over the last 6 months also; if you then install SP3 you then get a blue screen.

Hope this helps

Graham Broomfield

Tuesday, May 27, 2008 3:28 PM
  • hello, I am having a very similar problem but I do not have an AMD CPU it is intel P4.  I tried to look for the reg string suggested but there is no entry for it however there is an entry for "Intelide" and there is a start string set to "0".  Is there possibly another solution for this regarding SP2 and 3 with an intel Chip?
    Wednesday, January 21, 2009 8:58 PM
  • Ok, well looks like I figured it out... there is a problem with older Intel boards IDE controllers... though it worked fine untill you updated to sp2 or 3.  for the fix..

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/filter_results.aspx?strTypes=all&ProductID=663&OSFullName=Windows*+XP+Home+Edition&lang=eng&strOSs=45&submit=Go!

Wednesday, January 21, 2009 9:44 PM
  • This issue is fixed in the subsequent builds of SP3.

Thanks

Shashank

I can see that possibly this has been resolved for some, but it hasn't been resolved the way it should have been.  I have tried all of the above "fixes" and "remedies" to no avail.  The first machine of mine to fall victim to this was my personal machine, I lost o lot of unrecoverable data (my fault, not yours, but I trusted, foolishly, the auto update and MS).  I was unable to recover that machine and simply installed a fresh drive and installed Win7.  So far that works for me, although it refuses to read my WD Passport on which I store some of my data.  I have installed it on several machines which run without a hitch until the installation of SP3, these include both AMD and Intel CPU's.  I just finished installing it from a cd burned from an ISO on a crashed (auto updated Gateway notebook, Intel processor) that I reinstalled XP Pro on, and the machine very predictably crashed . bluescreened and went into the reboot mode the same as the rest of my machines.  I think the whole thing is unconscionable on MS's part. It is a flawed product, and _no one_ should have to suffer a crash because of an upgrade from a trusted source.  Being a professional, I may get aggravated because of these crashes, but I am supposed to know how to get myself and others out of this situation.  The average home user simply loses their data, photo's, saved games, whatever and  is clueless as to how to repair the problem.  They trust you and are admonished to turn on the autoupdate as much as they are reminded to back up their files.  You and I both know, they are more likely to turn on the autoupdate and _not_ back up their work.  This string is old, but the problem still exists.  I gave up trusting MS years ago when it comes to situations like this.  Too bad that you guys are more interested in making a buck than producing quality work. (and standing behind it)  So, in conclusion, this may or may not get read by anyone, or it will get read by someone that will tell me all the things I have done wrong, but I doubt very seriously if anyone will fix this, and now that 7 has been released you all will move on happily until you create a similar problem with 7.  Sad. 
    Friday, March 26, 2010 3:10 AM
  • Thank you
    Sunday, April 25, 2010 11:16 PM
  •   This fix has worked for me on two different machines. One, a Compaq Presario with AMD Processor and Phoenix BIOS after re-install from recovery D and then installing SP3. (This being an OEM machine.) The other, a home-built machine with Intel4 processor and Award BIOS. On this one, SP3 was already installed... I'm not sure if the trouble came after an automatic update or after a temporay Hard Drive swap. BUT!, this happened, as I said, on two different machines, in different homes, within 72 hours of each other! I do suspect malware on both but the two have never been on the same network. Both machines would start in safe mode. So, there's that for what it's worth.

The other comment I would make is this: MY GOSH THIS FIX WAS HARD TO FIND! Simple to apply, but tucked away in a FIVE YEAR OLD post. I love Microsoft (Let's face it: they've made it to where even a dummy like can work on a computer.), but why don't they fix this? And to compound the error, there is a link posted several times on this page that looks like it would have some insight into this problem (http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=3091685&SiteID=17), but the link is no longer valid AND IT'S A MICROSOFT LINK! 

Anyhow, whoever may have this problem and HAPPENS to stumble across this page, rest assured that the fix works. And much thanks to Shashank Bansal. He deserves every point he has. Good luck, all.

6. Quit Registry Editor.

Thursday, May 30, 2013 9:16 PM