none
Blue screen While Copying Data to External Hard Drive

Question

• Hello all,

I recently did a clean install of Windows 7 RTM on an AMD 64Bit machine with Nvidia Geforce 9100. Everything is going great except when I try to copy any files over 1gb to my external drives. I get the BSOD right after I initiate the copy. The error message is something along the line of "resetting the display driver has failed".

Did any of you encounter the same issue? Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks.
    Monday, October 5, 2009 1:22 AM

Answers

• Hi,

First, I would like to know how the external drives are connected.

Please update your BIOS, chipset drivers from manufacturer's website.

In the meantime, you can try copying the file in Safe Mode. To enter it, keep pressing F8 upon restarting and choose Safe Mode in the boot menu.

If the issue persists, besides the failure message, you can capture the dump file as below:

1. Click Start, type %SystemRoot%\Minidump and press Enter
    2. Go to your Desktop, right-click on it and create a new folder named "Dump".
    3. Copy all the memory dump files (looks like Mini092003-01.dmp) in Minidump to this folder.
    4. Right-click on the Dump folder, click "Send To", and click "Compressed (zipped) Folder".
    Upload it to http://skydrive.live.com/.

Vivian Xing - MSFT
    • Marked as answer by Vivian Xing Friday, October 9, 2009 8:41 AM
    Tuesday, October 6, 2009 7:01 AM
  • I have the latest bios update and drivers installed. I was having this problem for a couple weeks and it suddenly stopped. Turns out that while I was having these errors, I was using a usb wireless adapter. I haven't had the problem for a couple weeks because I hadn't been using that adapter. Yesterday, when I plugged the adapter again, system freeze, forced shutdown, etc. I was able to re-create this problem faster when I did copy some large files to an external in a test but when I did it without the adapter-no issue.

Incidentally, I tried it in safe-mode before and it didn't help. But that was back when I was using that particular USB wireless adapter. I believe it is likely related to that even though they do have 7x64 drivers for it.

I am doing some tracing/debugging and will try to report back here but I have never gotten any video error messages realted to my problem so maybe it's different?

ssc73
    Thursday, October 8, 2009 9:35 AM

All replies

• Are you running the latest drivers for your video adapter?

Want to know if your hardware will work on Windows 7? Check out these links: **Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor ** **Microsoft Logo'd Hardware List**
    Monday, October 5, 2009 4:37 AM
  • As far as I know, I am. I installed the latest drivers from nvidia's website.
    Monday, October 5, 2009 1:33 PM
  • Please go to Control Panel -> System and Security -> Action Center.

Click the Maintenance link to expand that section, then click on "view reliability history".

Find one of the rows that shows a Windows Failure that represents one of the crashes.

In the bottom window, right click on the failure, then select "view technical details".

Copy the info from that failure into a message here.  I want to double check the failure to make sure it's video related and not something else.

Want to know if your hardware will work on Windows 7? Check out these links: **Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor ** **Microsoft Logo'd Hardware List**
    Tuesday, October 6, 2009 4:35 AM
  • Hi,

First, I would like to know how the external drives are connected.

Please update your BIOS, chipset drivers from manufacturer's website.

In the meantime, you can try copying the file in Safe Mode. To enter it, keep pressing F8 upon restarting and choose Safe Mode in the boot menu.

If the issue persists, besides the failure message, you can capture the dump file as below:

1. Click Start, type %SystemRoot%\Minidump and press Enter
    2. Go to your Desktop, right-click on it and create a new folder named "Dump".
    3. Copy all the memory dump files (looks like Mini092003-01.dmp) in Minidump to this folder.
    4. Right-click on the Dump folder, click "Send To", and click "Compressed (zipped) Folder".
    Upload it to http://skydrive.live.com/.

Vivian Xing - MSFT
    Tuesday, October 6, 2009 7:01 AM
  • I have the latest bios update and drivers installed. I was having this problem for a couple weeks and it suddenly stopped. Turns out that while I was having these errors, I was using a usb wireless adapter. I haven't had the problem for a couple weeks because I hadn't been using that adapter. Yesterday, when I plugged the adapter again, system freeze, forced shutdown, etc. I was able to re-create this problem faster when I did copy some large files to an external in a test but when I did it without the adapter-no issue.

Incidentally, I tried it in safe-mode before and it didn't help. But that was back when I was using that particular USB wireless adapter. I believe it is likely related to that even though they do have 7x64 drivers for it.

I am doing some tracing/debugging and will try to report back here but I have never gotten any video error messages realted to my problem so maybe it's different?

ssc73
    Thursday, October 8, 2009 9:35 AM
  • Hi Ssc73, Thank you for the information sharing. It is very helpful for further troubleshooting,

Hi Emon123, is there any update on this issue?

Vivian Xing - MSFT
    Friday, October 9, 2009 2:56 AM
  • I am doing some tracing/debugging and will try to report back here but I have never gotten any video error messages realted to my problem so maybe it's different?
    Yes your problem sounds different from the one Emon123 described.

Saturday, October 10, 2009 10:44 PM
  • Hello all,

I recently did a clean install of Windows 7 RTM on an AMD 64Bit machine with Nvidia Geforce 9100. Everything is going great except when I try to copy any files over 1gb to my external drives. I get the BSOD right after I initiate the copy. The error message is something along the line of "resetting the display driver has failed".

Did any of you encounter the same issue? Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks.

Hello Emon123,

I had a similar issue (BSOD & Nvidia) and discovered my USB adapter was sharing the same interrupt with my GPU.  My problem involved printing to my USB printer and not an external harddrive.  When I moved my printer to a different USB adapter not using the same interrupt the blue screens stopped.  It now just hangs the printer (similar to the "USB Problem x64 Windows 7" forum).  In the "USB Problem x64 Windows 7 forum" there is a work around that is unsupported but seems to help.  I used it and now I can print again.  Just thought I'd throw that out to see if any of this helps in your troubleshooting.  Verifying the interrupts for both the USB adapter and video could be a good starting point.

Thanks.
    Saturday, October 17, 2009 7:40 AM
  • I am new to this , but having read through the previous posts, I had the same problem with the W7 X86, and after some struggles, I managed to fix one of my partitions with the w7 cd repair option, after getting into this one, I had the magnifying glass, and a nice black screen- giving it a bit longer, it eventuaslly brought me back into windows.
    My other partition, also running the identical versiondid also refused to restart, and the repair on the disk would not solve that, but system restore, the other option on the disc, gave me the update of 19-1-2010 restore point- VOILA- -back into windows- checked the log to find error id 6- brought me here, and -Guess what- I have a bluetooth dongle to download from my phone, occassionally, that is left in the computer, and I had tried to format a usb dongle to NFTS, as I often experiment with these things, and it took ages, and did not complete properly- I reverted to the partition with Vista home premium, and reofmatted the usb stick to fat 32, and had no problem.
    I thought , too late- I should have written down the update number, but I was too interested in finding an easy answer to the repair.
    It seems that this , then happens in the 32 bit system as well, and the bluetooth may need disabling, or, removing before formatting, an external usb stick/hard drive, as they do appear to be one reason for this crash. As most of you will know, bluetooth and wireless don't always 'get on 'when used at the same time (I use ethernet, as the wireless speed where I live is half of the ethernet speed)
    The other thing I would think worth looking at is what update was updated on 19 jan 2010, from microsoft update- I will try to find on the partition that I managed to get up and running without using system restore.
    Incidently the usb stick I was formatting was 32gb-  as it has only just been purchased, this could be my 'firmware' issue.
    I don't like blue screens, so I turn that option off- I find it easier to work without it some times.Looking up the crash numbers rarely found the answer when I needed it, a while ago, so I tend to fish it out for myself.
    I hope this information is of help, somehow.

Event log stated some processor performance power management features have been disabled due to a known  known firmware problem -contact manufacture for updated firmware- . 

Asrock crossfire-esata mothrboard
    aCore 2 duo 2.13
    Therma-cool hinksink and fan 
    2gb adata  ram (I had 4gb , but find it runs as well on 2 )
    2 X 160GB HARD DRIVES- 7 SEPERATE PARTIONS XP Home, XP pro, Vista home premium, and W7.(obviously e-sata external connected hard drive for backups, and many usb sticks)
    Thursday, January 21, 2010 11:22 PM