none
I can't enable my virtual machine's integration features?

Question

• Hi,

When I try to enable Integration Features for my virtual machine (Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit), a dialog box titled "Windows Security" pops up asking me to enter my credentials. It says "These credentials will be used to log on to the virtual machine." The user that it lists is from the host OS (Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit).  I enter in my administrator password and it doesn't accept it, and it re-iterates itself. I tried creating another administrator account in the host OS and it doesn't accept that either. Remote Desktop on the host is enabled in System Properties and I've added myself as a user in the Remote Desktop Users dialog box. Please help, thanks. Is it something in the Group Policy editor that you have to configure?

Saturday, August 28, 2010 9:02 AM

Answers

• It wants the password for the virtual machine, just click on other user, enter the proper ID and password that you set up in the VM.

Bob Comer - Microsoft MVP Virtual Machine
    Saturday, August 28, 2010 11:31 AM

All replies

• It wants the password for the virtual machine, just click on other user, enter the proper ID and password that you set up in the VM.

Saturday, August 28, 2010 11:31 AM
  • Oh, wow, you're great! It works! That's the only thing that I didn't try. Have an exceptionally wonderful rest of the weekend!

Sunday, August 29, 2010 4:37 AM
  • Bob,

I can't activate my Virtual Machine online using the same product key as the host OS. Do I need to purchase a separate product key for the VM from Microsoft? Thanks.

quick

Sunday, August 29, 2010 6:48 AM
  • You're quite welcome, glad to help!  Have a great rest of the weekend yourself!

Sunday, August 29, 2010 12:27 PM
  • Unfortunately so, a virtual machine is considered a seperate machine for licensing.

With Win7 Ult, you also get a license for XP Mode, (a special pre-built Windows XP install) that you can download and install and that has one particularly nice feature of seamless windows on the Win7 desktop.  (Run an XP only program on the Win7 desktop basically).

Sunday, August 29, 2010 12:31 PM
  • Hi Bob,

I called Microsoft and they gave me two product keys over the phone for no charge in order for me to activate my two virtual machines that I have installed on the same computer. I thought I was going to have to pay for it before the call, but it worked out quite nicely...

quick

Saturday, September 11, 2010 6:53 AM
  • That's good to hear!  I wonder if something has changed.

Saturday, September 11, 2010 11:14 AM